Turkish van cat?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically they ARE black (the brown tabbies), but in all the breeds over here, the brown tabbies are called brown - not black....lmbo

The funny thing is that in ACFA, the tawny Ocicats (our brown tabbies) are listed as "brown spotted tabby" - but to me they will be "tawnies".

Interesting to see the differences in American vs Foreign registries

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Calling the cats orange never computed with me - but, I didn't know what other color to call it since everyone that talked about that color called it ORANGE. I have a hard time calling any animal ORANGE, except maybe for an Orang-utan, nah they're red too -- - I can see flowers that are orange, and other things like in the crayon box, but a cat? never got it -- ha, now I don't have to!

I know if a human had that color of hair it would be called "red" - I do like red better than orange - just as a color preference anyway - so, after your identification, I'm now going to call them "red", too - although it's more of reddish-tan to me.

We see a Friskies commercial here - and that Tabby (I think it's a Tabby??) sure looks to be gray and black ?? errr, I mean brown and blue ?? ugh
see, I can learn even though I hadn't pursued this information.

So, Buddy has RED spots, and tail, and not Orange spots and tail.

I might learn the correct colors of our cats without even trying - Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown tabbies can range from a dark black-brown color to a warm honey brown color. If you have a link to the "Friskies" cat I'll take a look, but I think its a brown tabby - not a blue tabby.

Its sometimes hard to get a good photo of a blue tabby cat as the color often turns out a brownish shade for some reason. A true brown tabby is very different then a blue tabby.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Brown tabbies can range from a dark black-brown color to a warm honey brown color. If you have a link to the "Friskies" cat I'll take a look, but I think its a brown tabby - not a blue tabby.

Its sometimes hard to get a good photo of a blue tabby cat as the color often turns out a brownish shade for some reason. A true brown tabby is very different then a blue tabby.
I saw the commercial on TV, but will see if it's online, too ...

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As far as "unknowns" - in the USA that's not done at all any more. When I first started showing cats, the American Shorthair was still allowing unknown cats that fit the ASH standard to be registered and put in a breeding program or to be shown in the alter class.
GK is correct. It is done, but not from cats in the US. The Turkish Van is a natural breed that does allow "unknowns" but their origins cannot be in America.

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Desirai

Is it possible my cat Buttons is a Turkish van cat?

14 years ago, a stray cat had kittens in our garage. We kept one, who was solid white with a brown tail and black spots on her head.

I loved her colors, but just recently thought, is it possible maybe my cat is part turkish van?

What makes a cat a certain breed?

Here's some pics of her

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82...Photo-0017.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82...1c4ecc66b2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82...426771506e.jpg
although allot of people on here says she is not - the thing is - she may be part turish van.
a stray cat came to our house a couple of years ago and we got one of her kittens. she looks exactly like a turish van with all the markings. she is very smart, loves water and has all the charactists of a turish van.
the same stray cat (a calaco) had 4 kittens about a year ago and all 4 looked exactly like turish vans.
so your cat may not be a pure bred but she may be part van - like ours. our cat will jump in the bath tub and swim around - i have never seen any cat do that except the turish van.

chancey48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! She looks exactly like my cat but my cat has more black on her tail!  I was told she was part turkish van.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkish Vans are very, very rare cats.  The chances of a random-bred cat having any in it's ancestry are vanishingly remote.

Quite a few random-bred cats have the Van pattern - mostly white with colour on the ears and tail, and maybe some splodges on the body - without have a drop of genuine Van blood.

The thing that makes a cat a particular breed is being registered and a pedigree.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm, okay - then - to identify my cat - Buddy - I do find easier to identify him with Turkish Van markings  - because his spots are so much in the same places as a Turkish Van - like the shoulder spot is described as God's thumb print and considered to be "lucky".

Here is a blog that shows pictures of a cat, short hair, and has the markings similar to our Buddy's markings, and this person identifies them as Turkish Vans:

http://artsycatsy.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocky-recently-my-staff-has-failed-to.html

I realize that blogs are not always reliable, but ...  .
Buddy, with a curly tail - he has my heart BIG TIME!, and I don't care if he's a "blue blood" or a cat of many bloods - he's just the best.

g

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkish Van is a longhair breed. Neither the cats in the blog or your cat are Turkish Vans. The cats in the blog (and your cat) have a van pattern, which is common in several breeds (for example Persians, British Shorthairs, Exotics, Scottish Folds etc.) and domestics. Van pattern=white cat with colour only on it's head & tail (and maybe few small blotches in back/neck). If there's more colour, instead of van the cat is a bicolor.

So if you need to describe him, he's a domestic shorthair, and indeed red & white.

This is what an actual Turkish Van looks like:

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TUV's ranked 41 out of the cfa's 42 breeds, so extremely rare and very unlikely to find one out running about, or even a mix of one

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm, okay - then - to identify my cat - Buddy - I do find easier to identify him with Turkish Van markings  - because his spots are so much in the same places as a Turkish Van - like the shoulder spot is described as God's thumb print and considered to be "lucky".

Here is a blog that shows pictures of a cat, short hair, and has the markings similar to our Buddy's markings, and this person identifies them as Turkish Vans:

http://artsycatsy.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocky-recently-my-staff-has-failed-to.html

I realize that blogs are not always reliable, but ...  .

Few in the general pubic even know the breeds - so White and Red(?) DSH might be easier for describing my cat if it goes missing. (?)
In my view the blog is fun and rather tongue in check, plus the photos of Vans in it show them in summer - they have a big difference between summer and winter coats as the Van area of Turkey is very hot in summer and cold in winter.  The give-away that they are LH cats are the feathery tails.

The reliable ways to see what a breed should look like are to look at a registry's website (TICA, CFA, GCCF etc.) or to go to a show.  You will find all descriptions of pedigree Van cats mention that they are longhair.  So many people call their cat a Siamese or Persian or some other breed because they were lead astray by a vet (vets usually know sweet fa about cat breeds) or by a rescue or have a BYB cat.  Here in the UK there is a horrible tendancy to describe any random-bred blue shorthair as a British Blue - most of them are absolutely nothing like the genuine article but of course some are, as the BSH is a natural breed developed from our domestic cats.

The best things if you cat goes astray are a microchip and a good recent photo, and a lot of phone calls and leafletting.

sayani sen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is to Goldenkitty...tell me if this cat is Turkish van or not ? I would like a reasonable answer

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

This is to Goldenkitty...tell me if this cat is Turkish van or not ? I would like a reasonable answer
@Sayani Sen  It doesn't matter how much like a Turkish Van cat a cat may look, unless you have papers from a registered breeder to show the cat is a pedigree Turkish Van bred from registered parents, the cat is just a moggy.

This doesn't really matter unless you want to breed the cats yourself or you want to show them.

You can still enjoy having a beautiful cat around.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading this thread for fun I have moggies, and I saw the black vs brown tabby bit. When I have had kittens whom were black as babies they have secert strips you can see them best in the sun . If you have a pure bred black cat dose that happen or is it like tabbie strips in a tortiose shell being ( torbie to some) being bad form in pure breds just wondering. For really novice cat watcher usborn book (kids educational book desinged in uk and sild else where) a cats bred spotters guide is fun for kids and parents too.