Turkish Van Breed

Dunya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat is a Turkish van breed and according to her natural breed she doesn't like to be pet but ireally like to hold her or pet her more so any suitable solution?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to find some situation that your cat doesn't mind that it will learn is a good way to be petted. Like maybe she will jump up beside you on the couch if you call or click for her and let you pet her there. Can try to use treats to help set up a context for petting. But grabbing her and trying to force it is never gonna work. If you find situations that the cat is willing to be petted in, and accept those situations, sometimes the cat will expand the situations on its own. Just gotta go with the flow, cat has to be the boss, but you can manipulate her a bit with treats. Good luck.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While breed standards may indicated an inclination they aren't a hard and fast rule. Does your cat actually dislike petting? If so then find out what context and areas are acceptable for petting. I have one cat that you can only pet above the neck and I have another cat you can pet everywhere at any moment.

If your cat likes petting then pet. If she doesn't then find other ways to bond. Play together, sit quietly in the same room, whatever actually works with your cat.