Turkey Necks And Chicken Gizzards

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DH went grocery shopping tonight and since there weren't any turkey thighs he got turkey necks. He also picked up some chicken gizzards. What do I do with them???

Can I feed the turkey necks for dental health like chicken necks, or are they too big?
Should I include the gizzards in their food or feed them separately?

My cats aren't eating raw yet - they weren't thrilled with the half-raw I made them last week...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can substitute some gizzards for some of the boneless meat in your recipe, or feed them as snacks, whole (if they'll eat them that way...great for teeth), or chopped. Gizzards will lower the calorie content of your recipe, so the cats might eat more food.

Turkey neck bones are probably too hard for the cats to eat, but you could try chunks of vertebrae for snacks. They'll probably chew off the meat and leave the bone. Also great for teeth.

Or you can smash/crush the turkey necks and use them for bone content instead of chicken thigh bones.

Are you still pressure cooking chicken bones to make bone meal? You can use turkey necks instead, but rebalance the meat to bone content. Turkey necks (with no skin) are 42% bone, whereas chicken thighs (with skin) are 21%.

...or you can throw them in a pot of water with carrots, onions, celery and make a lovely turkey stock to make a soup base for you and your husband. :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks much, again!
LOL about turkey stock - I don't cook for humans, remember? (Except the daycare kiddos, and they're not picky.) :lol2: