Turkey gizzards and duck-new protiens for my girls!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm excited I finally found a frozen duck un-enhanced to cut up for my girls! Also in the same freezer section I found some turkey gizzards.

I hope they like them. I always feel better when I can add something a little different to their rotation, even if just for awhile.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool! My regular grocery store only has enhanced duck. I can only find unenhanced at the Asian market. I have never seen turkey gizzards. Are they much bigger than chicken gizzards? Not that it matters since Aria doesn't like chicken gizzards, so I don't hold out any hope for turkey gizzards.

It does feel good to add something different to their menu. Hope they like both!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, Gail, did you get a bigger freezer, or what?  All this raw meat happening

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some meats, especially pork I have found, are enhanced with a flavor solution which is usually high in sodium. You need to check the sodium content and make sure it's under 100mg per serving. Too much sodium is not good for cats (or people)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! My regular grocery store only has enhanced duck. I can only find unenhanced at the Asian market. I have never seen turkey gizzards. Are they much bigger than chicken gizzards? Not that it matters since Aria doesn't like chicken gizzards, so I don't hold out any hope for turkey gizzards.

It does feel good to add something different to their menu. Hope they like both!
The gizzards are frozen and I haven't opened them to cut them up yet, so it's difficult to tell. When I do, I'll post back.

So, Gail, did you get a bigger freezer, or what?  All this raw meat happening :lol3:
Unfortunately freezer space is still a problem. I now have a box in a friend's chest freezer. It's horribly inconvenient, but I still cannot figure out any place to put a small chest freezer in my apartment. The table top freezer is sufficient for day to day use, but not enough room for a lot of back-stock.

What does "enhanced" mean? I got some chicken gizzards at the grocery store yesterday. Should I be worried?
Chicken gizzards aren't usually enhanced I don't think. But you do have to read the packaging carefully. Sometimes solutions of flavorings, sodium, sugar, are added. It will say something like "up to 14% solution added" or words like that on the package. Up until now I haven't been able to find duck that was not enhanced. It was very expensive but, because of the way I feed, it will last a long time, and I can use the bones for my next soup.

Some meats, especially pork I have found, are enhanced with a flavor solution which is usually high in sodium. You need to check the sodium content and make sure it's under 100mg per serving. Too much sodium is not good for cats (or people)!
:yeah:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: Can't wait to hear back!

I tried duck gizzards for the kids. They LOVE chicken gizzards, but no one was overly excited about duck gizzards. :dk:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally speaking, nutritional labeling is required for all meat and poultry,etc.  If enhanced, should be on the individual package.  If not enchanced, may be posted on a large poster somewhere near the meat department.

So, you can simply look on the package, look to see if sodium is listed and if so how much sodium a serving contains.  If more than 100 mg, yup, it's been enhanced and you should not feed it to your cat.  (WHY is sugar added to so many foods, like ketchup!  baby food!  Vegetables! Oh, wrong forum.... :)