Tuppence has a lump

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tuppence is age 17 years, indoor only, spayed female. Came to me at age 4 months.

I discovered a lump on her right haunch, had her in to the vet today. He doesn't think it is related to her 3 year rabies vaccine from February as it has been too long AND it is much lower than where he typically gives the vaccine. It may be a cyst. He did a fine needle aspiration, got lots of what looks like water. Second aspiration, some red blood cells. No white blood cells, no cancer cells. The skin on top of the raised area is different than her skin elsewhere. The fur was shaved so I can easily monitor the area. Recheck in 3 weeks.

Tuppence was her usual vocal self on the entire 2.5 mile drive. Also, it was bitter cold out this morning with a 'feels like' temp of 28 F. She continued to make her feelings known to all, once inside at the clinic. Since coming home, she's alternated sleeping and watching birds at the feeder out "her" window.

P1050666 (Small).JPG P1050670 (Small).JPG P1050671 (Small).JPG P1050672 (Small).JPG P1050673 (Small).JPG

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It isn't all that unusual for cats to develop cysts, especially so in older cats. So, let's hope that is all Tuppence has!!!

My cat (19+yo) doesn't have cysts, but she does have a couple of warts!!

Pretty kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! For the compliment, and for the info. So if it is a cyst, what happens?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think what has - or does not have - to be done depends on the growth pattern, if there is one, and if it ends up presenting an issue for Tuppence. At this point, if it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it and see what happens at the follow up appt.

Here is an article that covers most kinds of cysts found on cats.
7 Types of Cysts in Cats [With Pictures and Vet Advice] - Cat-World

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good article, thank you so much. I feel much better about this, now.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tuppence at the vet this morning to recheck her lump. Took me 40 minutes to get her in the crate. She has not forgiven me for doing that 3 weeks back. In all this time, I have not been allowed near her. She immediately goes under the bed, when I enter the room where she is. Tuppy meowed and complained LOUDLY the entire drive there, and in the waiting room. Get in to the exam room, get her out of the crate, and she purrs for the Tech! She was a good girl for the exam, and for the pre-surgery blood draw. Then I got to listen to her singing the song of her people again, in the waiting room during check out, and the entire ride home.

The lump has again filled with fluid, and it is larger. She will go tomorrow morning for surgery to have it removed. No clue how I will get her in the crate tomorrow morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear Tuppy is holding a grudge for the last vet trip. Her purring with the vet tech may have been her way of consoling herself for having to go through the trip and being looked over again. She just took a more subdued approach with them than she does you because she is much more secure in letting you know of her displeasure!

I hope all goes well tomorrow, and that you can find a way to more easily 'trick' her into the carrier. Once this is done and she is past recovery, maybe she will settle down and resume her normal behavior.!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tuppence had her surgery today; brought her back home about 4:30 PM. I opened the door to her carrier, she scurried into the bedroom under the bed. I've not seen her since. I've not seen her incision, but I was told it is almost 3 inches long.

They will send the lump to the lab. The vet is wondering if it is a reaction to her 3 year rabies vaccine, which she had shortly before the lump first appeared. I had asked about this at the first visit; the vet told me he doesn't give the vaccine that high up, so he didn't see how it could be related. Thus I had put that entirely out of my mind. Now the Tech tells me he is thinking it may be related. I guess just wait for the lab report in a few days.

Tuppence is not supposed to have food tonight, so I picked up her food dish, will return it in the morning. She is allowed small amounts of water but no guzzling. I'm not sure how you monitor such, when you have a scaredy cat! Also, she has no plastic Elizabethan cone collar. If I see she does start to lick at the site, then I can put something on her. I have a plastic cone, I also have a UFO collar, either or both will work. I'm more concerned that I have no way to know what she is doing. This is normal for Tuppence, she has always left dealing with me (the HuMom) to the other cats. If I pet her 6 or 8 times a year, that's fine with her. She also had the antibiotic injection - there is no way I could give her a daily pill.

Return on Dec 13th to have the sutures removed.

So things are fine at the moment. Thank you for all the support from folks here on the forum.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know how this all turns out. If you can get her out from under the bed, maybe you can make a safe hiding place for her that is more accessible to you over the next few days.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw her about an hour ago. As soon as I move to enter the bedroom where she is, she jumps down and goes under the bed. I still haven't been able to see the incision. Ah well, that's cats for ya.

She is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping. No idea if she is bothering the sutures. Bit by bit, I'll figure this out.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news! The histology on the tumor came back. apocrine ductular adenoma
Benign, totally excised, and will not come back!

I have YET to see the incision! Tuppence did permit me to pet her yesterday morning, just a few scritchies and off she went. Wednesday (4 days from now) I take her back in for suture removal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have Housecall veterinarians in your area, who could possibly do the suture removal?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have Housecall veterinarians in your area, who could possibly do the suture removal?

Not that I am aware of. But: the problem is GETTING her. Once I have her, she is fine. So the same issue would exist. And in the exam room she is confined, should she decide to take off. Thanks for the suggestion.