Tufts of fur falling out?

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Recently I've noticed my cat has been loosing these tufts of fur around the house, it is very soft fur like the undercoat. Could it be due to diet or stress? I know they are not furballs because they arent wet, just random pieces of fur. She doesn't have fleas, but I do know she has dry skin because I can see the flakes mainly on her back. Does anyone else's cat have this issue? I picked this piece off the floor so it can be seen better.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it could be lots of things, to be quite honest. I would take her to the vet to make sure it's not health-related first, and then try to see what else it could be.

Do you think she is stressed? If so, what could it be, and what could you do to help her?

It could also be her diet, so what does she eat? Dry, wet, raw, a mix of dry-wet,...? How is her water intake? I ask because my cat Sparrow had dry skin and flakes when he was on dry, and since we put him on wet twice a day + dry, his coat is really better.

Another thing comes to mind, did you notice some holes in her fur? Maybe she is over-grooming? That could be stress-related, or health-related if it's localized on a specific area.

And my last guess, is she long haired? If so, do you brush her regularly, and with what? Some brushes can irritate the cat's skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think it could be lots of things, to be quite honest. I would take her to the vet to make sure it's not health-related first, and then try to see what else it could be.

Do you think she is stressed? If so, what could it be, and what could you do to help her?

It could also be her diet, so what does she eat? Dry, wet, raw, a mix of dry-wet,...? How is her water intake? I ask because my cat Sparrow had dry skin and flakes when he was on dry, and since we put him on wet twice a day + dry, his coat is really better.

Another thing comes to mind, did you notice some holes in her fur? Maybe she is over-grooming? That could be stress-related, or health-related if it's localized on a specific area.

And my last guess, is she long haired? If so, do you brush her regularly, and with what? Some brushes can irritate the cat's skin.
If it IS stress, the only thing I could think of that would stress her out is us being gone during the day at work, but I also come home everyday for lunch so I see her then. She eats wet food once in the morning then dry the rest of the day. She doesnt seem to be over grooming herself, nothing really seems out of the ordinary with her behavior wise. I use a wire brush on her and she's a medium haired cat. I dont think it irritates her because she loves when I brush her. I'm bringing her to her next vet appointment in about a month so I will definitely ask when I go!