Trying to wean a kitten from the bottle to raw

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any advice on weaning a kitten to raw?

I currently have a kitten who is 5 weeks or so. He has been bottle fed raw goats milk since I have had him, which he has been doing wonderful on. His new mommy, when he is ready for his new home, feeds raw. I figured since I feed raw too I could wean him to that. No such luck so far though. I feed commercial raw so it is ground. I did offer him some wet food and he ate a little of that, but he will not even try the raw, I guess it doesn't have enough of a smell. He is very reluctant to eating solids in general, he very much so wants the bottle. Even when I know he is hungry he will either just sniff the wet or just eat a few bites. But I bring out the bottle and he sucks down an oz or more.

Here is a picture of the little guy from last week.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, something stinky like sardine juice might actually work. He did eat more just wet food tonight. Funny thing is I tried mixing wet and raw together and suddenly the wet was not good anymore, he wouldn't even try it. He won't touch it with his goats milk either. I know I am still in the beginning of weaning and I need to be patient, but I wish I could just get him to try the raw. I will pick up some sardines tomorrow and see if that helps.

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat...I have 3 5-week old kittens raised on KMR that I just started weaning last week. Two gobbled up the raw chicken. One, the prissy little princess (who is black like yours). would not try it. I think it is the lack of smell. I ended up shoving a pea sized piece in her mouth LOL Once she realized it was food, she now gobbles it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally had some success!

Shoving raw into his mouth didn't work. Stinky sardine juice didn't work. I think I have a picky one on my hands. I put rabbit infront of him and he gobbled up 2oz of it. I guess all along he didn't want chicken.