Trying to sleep in studio with cat!

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I’m sitting a sweet cat in a studio apartment. I’m a very light sleeper and every night at some point the cat scratches on his igloo cat bed, meows loudly and runs around. Not a ton but enough that I wake up a lot. Can I move the cat bed? Or cover the wood outer part so that cat can’t scratch it? I’m losing my mind. Thanks!!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? Younger cats normally would be more active at any time of the day and night. I would suggest that you make sure that cat has had his meals before bed time. Also, try to play with him and exhaust him before sleeping. There is nothing much you can do with him running around, but speaking from my experience, my cats would usually sleep the same time as me throughout the night when their stomachs are full and have been exhausted from play. Only my youngest is the trouble-maker, but tolerable. I am also a light sleeper.

Others here may have other advice.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote has given excellent advice! To try to reduce territorial marking (clawing its igloo is the kitty exercising and conditioning claws but sometimes is also adding scent marking to keep territory established), use comfort grooming throughout the day and especially as part of the bedtime routine (right after you brush your teeth and settle down into bed is a good time because the sounds of toothbrushing will alert the cat that it's time for bedtime grooming). To comfort groom, I use a cheap plastic man's comb and hold my thumb across the teeth so that only about 1/4"-1/2" is exposed; I use soft 'J' strokes that mimic a mother cat's licks. I focus about the ears, neck & upper back. If the cat becomes comfortable enough, I decrease the comb's tooth length and lightly, gently "clean" the forehead and nose bridge. Some cats get overstimulated so instead of a comb, I use a slightly damp washcloth; if grooming is still too overstimulating, if it's early enough, I switch to wand play followed by a heavy snack (the hunt/groom/sleep pattern of all felines and most predators large and small)
Sometimes the midnight crazies/territory marking are set off by outside night creatures coming near the property. Do your best to minimize awareness of that - perhaps with "white noise" inside and, if possible, a scent repellant such a cinnamon or peppermint outside. While it could be feral cats outside, it's more likely to be possums, raccoons, skunks, foxes or even dogs - both stray and at-large (some irresponsible owners put the dog out under the cover of darkness to defecate/urinate elsewhere).
Please let us know what you try & what works!