Trying to introduce kitten to female cat...

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, to start off, we just adopted one of our little foster kittens we had this spring about a week ago. He's such a sweet, loving little guy named Cracker. We've had him in the same room he's been with with his mom and siblings since they were born, but since he's now 9 weeks, he's been getting more curious. Whenever our 4 year old spayed female goes outside(she's an indoor and outdoor cat), we let him play around the house. He obviously loves running around now, but we are trying to start introducing them.
First of all, when we got Kia(our female), we did have another cat too, a 5 year old tom. They were like best friends when she wasn't annoying him, always cuddled up together. But, he got very ill, and passed away before she turned 1
. Anyway, a little later that year, we got our first batch of foster kittens. Dispite all efforts, little cuirous Kia managed to sneak into the room...right infront of a muscular, protective mother cat, who attacked her. We broke it up, and she wasn't hurt, but she was so scared of other cats after that. She wouldn't even go near the foster room for years, although she's fine about it now, but I think that incident was why she doesn't like other cats much now.
Anyway, we've tried to intoduce tham, but sight at first when he was about 7 weeks old. She hissed at him at first, but she's now pretty used to seeing him although she gets VERY jealous when we hold him. She won't even go near me for hours. Then she forgives me, and we cuddle and make up
Anyway, then we put him on the ground, and she hisses. Over the last couple weeks, we've let them get closer and closer, although Kia still hisses and growls at him. They've touched noses a few times, but I just get really nervous letting them get so close, but I know it has to happen...and Cracker doesn't seem to know that hissing means "don't get closer"- he still goes up to her. Today when he wouldn't back up, she stuck out her paw like she was trying to swat him. I don't think she got him, or if she did, she didn't get him hard, but it still makes me worried.
Soooo, any advice?

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually it looks to me like everything is going right. You are gradually introducing them which is exactly what I would do. I say just keep at it and keep them under supervision until they have been a while together and seem at ease and relaxed in each other's presence. The relaxation is key. If there seems to be any tension or caution it could erupt so be on the lookout for the signs that they are sending you.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats whack kittens to teach them boundaries, both Maude and Mama did it numerous times to Nuts to let him know they didn't appreciate what he was doing. He's gotten whacked on the head so many times I'm shocked he doesn't have brain damage. It's normal for an adult to 'discipline' a kitten in that way.

Honestly it sounds like everything is progressing normally, just don't leave them alone together and calm down, they are picking up on that.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

Cats whack kittens to teach them boundaries, both Maude and Mama did it numerous times to Nuts to let him know they didn't appreciate what he was doing. He's gotten whacked on the head so many times I'm shocked he doesn't have brain damage. It's normal for an adult to 'discipline' a kitten in that way.

Honestly it sounds like everything is progressing normally, just don't leave them alone together and calm down, they are picking up on that.

Taryn
So it's alright to let her hit him a couple times so he gets the picture? I get nervous because he's smaller than her, and I jump to his defense, but I think that just seems to make her more jealous...

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteKittenKat

So it's alright to let her hit him a couple times so he gets the picture? I get nervous because he's smaller than her, and I jump to his defense, but I think that just seems to make her more jealous...
Yes, it's fine. It's just her way of telling him to keep his distance. I think you're doing fine. Sometimes it takes awhile and really tries our patience, but they'll work things out. As others have stated; just be on the look out for any whack that might escalate into something more aggressive. And don't leave them alone together. GOOD LUCK

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something I've found helpful is to use a towel to redirect the one doing the swatting. Just drape it between the two and "herd" the cat away.

We just got a kitten yesterday and he's still in a cage. My younger girl has been hissing at him and has swatted at him a few times. Oh joys!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

Yes, it's fine. It's just her way of telling him to keep his distance. I think you're doing fine. Sometimes it takes awhile and really tries our patience, but they'll work things out. As others have stated; just be on the look out for any whack that might escalate into something more aggressive. And don't leave them alone together. GOOD LUCK
That's such a releif to hear! I'll keep a towel handy incase I need to break them up...she'll have to get used to him eventually

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Merindah~Because he's already tested negative for FLV/FIP and is healthy, he's in a cage in the spare bedroom with the door open. I let him out to explore, play, and stretch his legs several times a day, but I make sure that the other kitties aren't in there and I close the door. My older cat is really cool with him and hasn't hissed or swatted at him yet. My younger girl, who's the alpha, has been hissing at him since late yesterday afternoon. She's not as hissy this evening, but she has swatted at him a couple of times and she is occasionally hissing. He'll stay in the cage until she stops hissing and swatting and he is not so scared of the humans. It'll probably be the end of next week when he's out full time, but we'll have to play it by ear.