Trying to identify my friends cat

Ozzie831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon,
My friends cats just had some babies and I got curious on what type of cat the dad is. Ive become a bit obsessed with the way his face is. Its competely different than any cat Ive had growing up.

I attatched a couple photos. Im no expert on cats but I've been googling around and came to the conclusion he might be a Ticked Tabby mix. But im not 100% so i figured id ask around.

He is a big cat, very muscular and likes to pick fights with all the other cats.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous, he does look like a ticked tabby to me and I would call him a tux as well. I am not sure if he is a brown ticked tabby, he looks a bit caramel or ginger too to me. Here are some pics I found. Our recent rescue Merlin is a ginger tux tabby with a mackerel pattern and white boots and mittens. The first MC cat is a blue ticked tabby.

Patchwork | Maine Coons

5A4C8DCD-77AD-400D-984D-38847245442F.jpeg
85BCE4F1-1873-46FE-940B-A778FF22B7A8.jpeg
44850E5D-79BD-4C6D-ABF3-43E00F29D2BD.jpeg
C275C186-8820-4D5B-9F27-2D186566441F.jpeg
F57D9031-227D-4F2D-871C-7A304E0CACC8.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a ticked tabby and white, but tabby is a pattern not a breed :). Ticked tabbies are fairly rare in the general cat population but not unheard of. Do you know where they got him? Where do you live?

The general cat populations in different areas tend to develop different survival mechanisms, so, for instance, street cats in tropical countries tend to look different from street cats in cold Northern areas, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ozzie831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a ticked tabby and white, but tabby is a pattern not a breed :). Ticked tabbies are fairly rare in the general cat population but not unheard of. Do you know where they got him? Where do you live?

The general cat populations in different areas tend to develop different survival mechanisms, so, for instance, street cats in tropical countries tend to look different from street cats in cold Northern areas, etc.
I just guessed it was a tabby because it has an M on his forehead.

I have no idea where the cat came from originally, I just know it used to be their friends cat. They have about 9 cats and think a few are strays. Then now theres 7 new babies.

We are located in Reno Nevada.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I hope they can get the cats spayed/neutered soon. They'll end up with hundreds if they don't.

Which part of his facial features did you find unique?

Hmm, Nevada isn't tropical but also doesn't get very cold. So there's probably a fair mix of street cats.

We call cats of no particular breed domestic shorthairs (or longhairs, depending).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ozzie831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats the plan. Thats actually why they have this set of babies. The cat of discussion likes to rape everything. So I believe they are all getting neutered next week.

I cant really peg why i find it interesting. Like the photos of the cats the other person posted, look like "normal" cats. Like maybe its his facial proportions look off. Like he has a small face for a big head. Or that some cats faces are more sleek and his isnt.

Reno has very spastic weather. It can be 110 degrees or 10 degrees

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Intact males grow large jowls to protect them when fighting. If you say this one does I would have him tested for FIV/FeLV at the time of his neuter. That is how it is spread. Plus it can be passed to all his offspring.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with ticked tabby, the need to spay, and the need to test for FIV / Felv.... Testing especielly these he fights with, and himself.

He wont rape as much when spayed. I suppose he also fight some, eh? As he is a dominant male, it will take at least one month before he cools down, but he will cool down.

Friendly toms cool down sooner.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the big jowls are from being a mature tom. Theyll go down a bit after he's neutered but he'll always be "thicker" than a male neutered before maturity. He's a handsome boy!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your friend's cat as a brown ticked tabby and white domestic shorthair. Ticked tabby is a dominant trait, originally associated with the Abyssinian breed, so his tabby pattern may have originally come from an Abyssinian ancestor somewhere in his family tree.

His head doesn't look unusual to me, but you probably are noticing the "stud jowls," as W Willowy mentioned. Mature intact male cats develop large jowls, broad heads, and thick neck muscles (imagine a bull's neck). It's normal for intact males to fight, and to try to breed everything in sight. Hopefully he will calm down after neutering. It's a good thing that your friend is having their cats spayed and neutered!