Trying To Help Traumatized Elderly Rescue Cat Get Acclimated

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

If anyone has advice on helping an elderly rescue cat come out of hiding and feel safe in a new home, I'd be very appreciative! She has started eating regularly, thank goodness, so there is plenty of time to help her psychological adjustment without a sense of medical urgency. I am going slowly and giving her lots of space, but would be glad of any suggestions on other things I could do to help her.

I took Lucy in two weeks ago (August 18). Her previous human had passed away, after years of being in and out of the hospital, and neglecting Lucy very badly. Lucy -- estimated to be about 15 -- was so matted that, according to vet records, she could not even poop (!!) until they partly shaved her; she had such bad tooth decay that they had to remove her molars; her claws were growing into her toe pads. Neighbors and a rescue group formed a "village" to care for her and get her veterinary care during the three months after her human passed away, and she was shy but eating and playing a bit, living in the apartment of her previous human, with neighbors stopping by to feed her.

The day I brought her home, the rescue group had a vet do a house call, to microchip her, give her a distemper shot, and give her medicine for an ear infection. The vet traumatized her a lot, I think, having an assistant chase her around the apartment and throw a towel on top of her to "catch" her. She was utterly terrified. I had only just met her, and was just signing the adoption papers at that moment, so had no way to calm her down or intervene to get the vet to go more slowly. It was an apartment full of humans and this poor frightened kitty. They then bundled her into a carrier and I took her home. She may associate me with this frightening day, and that may make her more wary around me...

The first week or so, she barely ate. She has started eating regularly now, 1 1/2 - 2 cans of Fancy Feast pate every day, and using her box. But she is spending most of her time hiding behind a little cabinet in the dining room, and often hisses and growls when she sees me. I am giving her a lot of space, just leaving her alone and letting her acclimate at her own pace. She has come out briefly when I am around, even sniffing once at the hem of my skirt and "marking" the side of the fridge with her cheek. She does explore a little at night.

There may be no answer other than "give her time", which I am absolutely here to do. Now that she is eating, we can go slowly with her psychological adjustment. But any advice on how to help her adjust other than just feeding her, talking softly when I'm in the room with her, playing quiet music (thanks to Furballsmom Furballsmom for that suggestion, though Lucy's hearing may not be that good), would be very welcome. (I have plugged in Feliway diffusers.)

A few other details... my home is a large apartment, with no other people or cats. Lots of spots of sunlight if Lucy would allow herself to feel safe enough to nap in them. My beautiful, beloved kitty Dominique passed away, at age 18, from lymphoma a month ago, so there may still be the scent of another cat, and it is possible that Lucy senses my grief and that that affects her, though I try not to show it in front of her... Also, Lucy has had variations in her human "servants" since I brought her home; my father passed away three days after I took Lucy home, and a friend of mine fed her for five days while I was out of town, and will do that again when I travel briefly again to deal with my father's apartment... Lucy actually seemed more friendly while my friend was feeding her, and even followed him around a little bit. She seems a little more withdrawn since I got back (Aug 26), though still eating.

Advice will be very welcome! Purrs to all.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking her. It sounds like she has been through so much and at her age it is all doubly traumatic for her. You are doing all the right things, I can’t think of much more you can do. But seniors and actually all cats like routines and things to be predictable so I would try to build as much routine into your actions with her and even actions around your place as you can. So getting up at the same time, opening the curtains or blinds at the same time, saying the same thing to her as you get ready to feed her etc helps her feel secure. If she is hissing growling at you I would not look in her direction but talk to her softly and say the same thing every time.

It could be that she will relax fairly quickly or you could be looking at months of hiding. It’s really hard to predict.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am establishing a routine for her, and will follow your other suggestions as well. Hopefully she will eventually pick up on the feeling of security. She must have already, at least a little, because she has even eaten in front of me, right after I put a food dish down. Patience and routine will hopefully do the trick.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't even imagine a better home for this cat than with you. It sounds like an ideal living arrangement for her (quiet, no rowdy kids or kittens or over eager dogs, etc.) despite the few mishaps (I'm very sorry about your losses of Dominique and your father in such a short time, as well.)
If she's exploring a little on her own, that's good news and even better that she briefly cheek-marked you. Personally I feel you're doing all you can right now, it will take some time for her to adjust. Poor thing has been through a lot lately.
If she's eating and eating well, you might use this to your advantage and "deliver" treats throughout the day.
I'd spend a lot of time ignoring her, and if she shyly ventures out a little don't talk to her much and don't watch her (some cats seem to feel like they're being "stalked" if a human they don't know very well is looking at them when they decide to be brave. They lose their nerve and bolt.)
If you're up moving around and she comes out, and startles and goes to hide, let her hide. Don't make it a huge deal if she loses her bravery momentarily. She'll soon see there's nothing to be afraid of.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks is not long at all, even for a well-adjusted and domesticated cat. For a traumatized cat, it may take more time. May I ask how old she is?

Most cats of enjoy catnip toys, so you may want to get some for her. Also, I don't know what your financial situation is like, but many cats love tall cat trees. It provides both height as well as cubby holes to hide inside . You can purchase one for 70 or $80 on Amazon or ebay.

Many elderly cats have arthritis, that is the case with my 18 year old cat. I have a pet house with an indoor heating pad, and he loves to rest in there, I think it's soothing for him. You can probably get some good deals on indoor Kitty heating pads now before the winter begins, if she is a very old car.

It helps to spend time in the same room with the kitty. Talk to her in a soft, soothing voice. For each cat that I've taken in, I've made up a little song for them. Cats actually enjoy if you sing to them in a soft and soothing voice. Each of my cats know their song and will actually come to me when I start singing it. I trust you are leaving out dry food 24/7. This will reduce any anxiety she may have from food issues in the past. Also supplement dry food was a little wet food and treats during the day.

She may or may not become a cuddly lap cat. I have one feral cat I rescued 5 years ago who still spends most of the time underneath my bed, and who does not like to be touched. She was about a year old, when I took her inside. Somebody had shot her with a gun, and her leg healed crooked, so she cannot jump more than a few inches. She is not a cuddly lap cat at all. However, she is safe and content and would not have survived outside. I have a lot of happiness knowing that she is safe.

My other suggestion would be to consider getting a second cat. Either a kitten, or a very mellow a adult cat. Orange tabby males tend to be very sweet and mellow. She would perhaps enjoy the company of another cat, and you would enjoy company of an affectionate cat. Also, she would observe your interactions with the new cat and learn that you are safe.

These are just some suggestions that may or may not be helpful to you. It sounds like you are doing everything right. It does take time and patience, but it is very well worth it. Thank you for caring for this cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're right, she is picking up on your feelings, and probably your friend came in pretty much carefree so she felt a little more comfortable with that. No worries, you'll be ok, I promise.

You've been through, and are going through, a lot. You and this kitty will be able to form a new relationship, and will be able to write new pages of life-things.

I have a lot of happiness knowing that she is safe.
There is SO much to be said for that, right there!

Good on you, and hang in there - you're a remarkable person in MY book :thumbsup: :cloud9:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like both you and Lucy have been through a lot, and it also sounds like you are both the best thing for each other right now. I don't have any suggestions about helping her other than what you've already done. Your patience and calmness are exactly what she needs. She may be picking up on your grief, and exhibiting some of her own, too. Hopefully, you two can mend together, and form a beautiful friendship. I have no doubt that, with time, this will be the case. Good luck! Keep us posted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like both you and Lucy have been through a lot. I'm glad you have her, and she you, to help both of your with your recent losses.

Condolences on the loss of your Dad. :alright:

As well as Dominique. RIP sweet girl. :angel: If/when you feel up to it, we have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a memorial tribute to her.

Back to dear Lucy. I'm sure it will take some time for her to settle into your home. TCS has some articles that might have some tips for you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover
Handling Feral Cats (this one is for ferals, but since ferals are scared/timid, there might be some tips for you)

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Good luck. And please post a picture of Lucy, if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have often used the "dangerous" approach with nervous cats . I take any chance to pet them , give them treats , hold them and stroke the nose bridge between the eyes ( very calming to cats ) . I talk to them too ! I have had fairly good results with pheromone calming collars .

Pet Armor Cat Calming Collar

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she hear OK? I think I would try clicker training her, just to give her a daily positive interaction with me.
Also I had 2 boys that I re-homed to my aunt, she fed them fancy feast to. They each got 6 cans a day each and turned into fat furry sausages with tails! Short term I would give her 4 small meals a day (and the clicker training baby food) and long term I would make sure I wasn't over feeding her. Most cats prefer to eat 3-4 times a day. You can buy automatic feeders that will keep her food cold until lunch time.
Thank you for taking that poor girl in. Since you mentioned matting, daily brushing followed by a clicker treat can help prevent that from happening again. I use a rubber kong cat brush for my boys but they are short haired. So you may need to experiment to see what she prefers.
Chicken Gourmet Wet Cat Food | Fancy Feast® (one can per day per 3-3.5 pounds)
How to Clicker Train a Cat
3 Tricks to Teach Your Cat With Clicker Training
Best Brushes for Long Hair Cats | Meow Lifestyle
* I think I would buy the scaredy cat scissors for her back in & any mats she currently has.
How to Adopt an Old Cat

*I nuke my cat's left over food for 3-7 seconds the stir it, to warm it up from the fridge.
*My boy is allergic to chicken but they do make tons of wet food. Once you get her settled it might be worth experimenting a bit. My boys love LoveBugs lamb recipe .... though it can not compete with fancy feast tuna or salmon broth (They eat dry food, the wet food is bonus. Yes I know wet food is better but they are 12 & 13 years old and BIG dry food junkies.) I'm betting that she loves her fancy feast, my boys did back when they could eat it.
*Given that you have a senior cat I would stock up on some cat broth (chicken) just in case you ever need to get her to drink.)
*Clicker training, your cat can eat chicken or beef baby food (provided there is no onion or garlic in it.) Water down baby food also makes a great eat/hydrate meal for a sick cat, in a pinch.

Thank you:angel: for taking her in!

:vibes::grouphug::cheerleader:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she hear OK? I think I would try clicker training her, just to give her a daily positive interaction with me.
Also I had 2 boys that I re-homed to my aunt, she fed them fancy feast to. They each got 6 cans a day each and turned into fat furry sausages with tails! Short term I would give her 4 small meals a day (and the clicker training baby food) and long term I would make sure I wasn't over feeding her. Most cats prefer to eat 3-4 times a day. You can buy automatic feeders that will keep her food cold until lunch time.
Thank you for taking that poor girl in. Since you mentioned matting, daily brushing followed by a clicker treat can help prevent that from happening again. I use a rubber kong cat brush for my boys but they are short haired. So you may need to experiment to see what she prefers.
Chicken Gourmet Wet Cat Food | Fancy Feast® (one can per day per 3-3.5 pounds)
How to Clicker Train a Cat
3 Tricks to Teach Your Cat With Clicker Training
Best Brushes for Long Hair Cats | Meow Lifestyle
* I think I would buy the scaredy cat scissors for her back in & any mats she currently has.
How to Adopt an Old Cat

*I nuke my cat's left over food for 3-7 seconds the stir it, to warm it up from the fridge.
*My boy is allergic to chicken but they do make tons of wet food. Once you get her settled it might be worth experimenting a bit. My boys love LoveBugs lamb recipe .... though it can not compete with fancy feast tuna or salmon broth (They eat dry food, the wet food is bonus. Yes I know wet food is better but they are 12 & 13 years old and BIG dry food junkies.) I'm betting that she loves her fancy feast, my boys did back when they could eat it.
*Given that you have a senior cat I would stock up on some cat broth (chicken) just in case you ever need to get her to drink.)
*Clicker training, your cat can eat chicken or beef baby food (provided there is no onion or garlic in it.) Water down baby food also makes a great eat/hydrate meal for a sick cat, in a pinch.

Thank you:angel: for taking her in!

:vibes::grouphug::cheerleader:
I'm so glad you mentioned this training stuff.
Clicker or marker training can be so helpful.
If the person doing the training isn't certain on how it's done, relax and be willing to learn. All you'll do is fudge something up, and marker training for most cats is 100% un-harmful and the worst you'll do is train a chain of behaviors and learn along the way.
Hell my first dog I trained with any sort of marker was fudged up a bit. The only bad thing he did was learn some crazy routine that I unintentionally trained.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am definitely trying to ignore her and hope that piques her curiosity, as well as gives her the space to be brave.

Well, I can't even imagine a better home for this cat than with you. It sounds like an ideal living arrangement for her (quiet, no rowdy kids or kittens or over eager dogs, etc.) despite the few mishaps (I'm very sorry about your losses of Dominique and your father in such a short time, as well.)
If she's exploring a little on her own, that's good news and even better that she briefly cheek-marked you. Personally I feel you're doing all you can right now, it will take some time for her to adjust. Poor thing has been through a lot lately.
If she's eating and eating well, you might use this to your advantage and "deliver" treats throughout the day.
I'd spend a lot of time ignoring her, and if she shyly ventures out a little don't talk to her much and don't watch her (some cats seem to feel like they're being "stalked" if a human they don't know very well is looking at them when they decide to be brave. They lose their nerve and bolt.)
If you're up moving around and she comes out, and startles and goes to hide, let her hide. Don't make it a huge deal if she loses her bravery momentarily. She'll soon see there's nothing to be afraid of.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! Lucy is 15. I tried catnip toys (and even an open large container of catnip) a few days ago, but she wasn't interested; I will keep trying. I have a cat tree that belonged to Dominique and her brother Charcoal; Dominique hadn't used it at all in the last few years of her life, so it should hopefully not smell too much of other cats. I'll see about a heating blanket as the weather gets colder. I love your suggestion of singing! I'm spending some time in the same room with her, and also time in other rooms "ignoring" her to give her space.

It is wonderful that you rescued that feral kitty. I don't have expectations that Lucy will become a lap cat (though it would be wonderful if she did, of course). Even Dominique, who was with me from kittenhood and very loving, was a "next to" cat. I've thought about adopting another cat so that Lucy will see an example of a cat being safe in this home. But I think it may be too early to do that. I think I should wait a bit longer to see if she will relax with more time, since it's only been two weeks so far. I may return to the idea of adopting another kitty if Lucy is still stuck in this fearful hiding stage later in the fall.

Two weeks is not long at all, even for a well-adjusted and domesticated cat. For a traumatized cat, it may take more time. May I ask how old she is?

Most cats of enjoy catnip toys, so you may want to get some for her. Also, I don't know what your financial situation is like, but many cats love tall cat trees. It provides both height as well as cubby holes to hide inside . You can purchase one for 70 or $80 on Amazon or ebay.

Many elderly cats have arthritis, that is the case with my 18 year old cat. I have a pet house with an indoor heating pad, and he loves to rest in there, I think it's soothing for him. You can probably get some good deals on indoor Kitty heating pads now before the winter begins, if she is a very old car.

It helps to spend time in the same room with the kitty. Talk to her in a soft, soothing voice. For each cat that I've taken in, I've made up a little song for them. Cats actually enjoy if you sing to them in a soft and soothing voice. Each of my cats know their song and will actually come to me when I start singing it. I trust you are leaving out dry food 24/7. This will reduce any anxiety she may have from food issues in the past. Also supplement dry food was a little wet food and treats during the day.

She may or may not become a cuddly lap cat. I have one feral cat I rescued 5 years ago who still spends most of the time underneath my bed, and who does not like to be touched. She was about a year old, when I took her inside. Somebody had shot her with a gun, and her leg healed crooked, so she cannot jump more than a few inches. She is not a cuddly lap cat at all. However, she is safe and content and would not have survived outside. I have a lot of happiness knowing that she is safe.

My other suggestion would be to consider getting a second cat. Either a kitten, or a very mellow a adult cat. Orange tabby males tend to be very sweet and mellow. She would perhaps enjoy the company of another cat, and you would enjoy company of an affectionate cat. Also, she would observe your interactions with the new cat and learn that you are safe.

These are just some suggestions that may or may not be helpful to you. It sounds like you are doing everything right. It does take time and patience, but it is very well worth it. Thank you for caring for this cat.

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words and the links to the articles.
Here is Lucy:

It does sound like both you and Lucy have been through a lot. I'm glad you have her, and she you, to help both of your with your recent losses.

Condolences on the loss of your Dad. :alright:

As well as Dominique. RIP sweet girl. :angel: If/when you feel up to it, we have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a memorial tribute to her.

Back to dear Lucy. I'm sure it will take some time for her to settle into your home. TCS has some articles that might have some tips for you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover
Handling Feral Cats (this one is for ferals, but since ferals are scared/timid, there might be some tips for you)

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Good luck. And please post a picture of Lucy, if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

JacobinCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to add that since she has had her molars removed, she is on a wet food diet, so I haven't been leaving out dry food. I will look for some kinds of dry food that she still could snack on, so that she won't be left with dried-out wet food on days when I am late at work...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lucy baby!! :heartshape:
Since the 'nip is a question mark, you could try honeysuckle, or even parsley ;)
I see that some of the smaller online stores aren't carrying honeysuckle toys anymore or are closed but at a quick glance ebay, amazon and etsy have some and if you or anyone reading this/lurking is outside the US, madaboutcats (offline until October 1, 2018) and kittykottage also carry items.