Trying to give 23 year old Simba variety of foods

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been posting on here about Simba who has to be 23 years old and what we are doing to keep him around with us as long as he is okay. We bought different kinds of foods for him awhile back, some he likes, some he turns his nose up at, but we also started to give him lunch meat and cheese since he likes to eat that, plus I also at times give him some Nutritional yeast, I read they shouldn't get a lot of it because it could cause urinary issues but he's 23 and if he eats it we'll give it a little bit. We have SO many different kinds of treats, he used to eat most of them but lately he is really finicky with them. He used to love baked chicken, but since we started giving him some everyday it seems like the love affair with that is over too lol! But he does eat dry food, Iams and Fancy Feast, is thin but he's 23, so it is to be expected. And we think that when he comes into the kitchen to see what treats or food I will put down he is just "playing" me, he doesn't cry like he used to, he just walks away if he doesn't like what I put down, and if he likes it he'll eat it, so we figure this is how he will be. Last night I tried some solid tuna in water and he didn't care for it, so we try other things and figure as long as he is eating something and drinking and using the litter box and seems interested in things (which he is) he's okay, and will eat and do things on his own schedule. But Sylvester and a few others are taking full advantage of him leaving "excess" food on the floor! :clapcat:

We fully thought that he would be the next one to pass away, not Slim as I had posted on here. But that's life I guess...we never know what is going on insdie them and they are masters at hiding health issues. But he doesn't seem sick, we just think it is his age.

Any other food suggestions would be appreciated, thank you! :gingercat:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really can’t suggest what foods to give him but I wanted to send my prayers to him and you 🙏🏻🙏🏻 God bless him, he is up there in age. I recently lost my oldest cat, Muffin, who was 19 years old. She ended up with kidney failure.
She stopped eating and drinking but I tried giving her baby food and the science diet food by syringe and also water by a dropper, I wanted to hang onto her as long as I could but had to let her go. She was at home and went peacefully on my lap. . They are so much part of the family…🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can’t suggest what foods to give him but I wanted to send my prayers to him and you 🙏🏻🙏🏻 God bless him, he is up there in age. I recently lost my oldest cat, Muffin, who was 19 years old. She ended up with kidney failure.
She stopped eating and drinking but I tried giving her baby food and the science diet food by syringe and also water by a dropper, I wanted to hang onto her as long as I could but had to let her go. She was at home and went peacefully on my lap. . They are so much part of the family…🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
I am so sorry for your loss, it hurts like crazy we know....:alright: :rbheart:

We did try baby food months ago but he wasn't interested in it, so we stopped. But like I said he still eats, just what and when he wants to, so he still seems okay. It is so stressful worrying about him, but we are doing all that we can.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie will only eat weruva cats in the kitchen The Double Dip. She used to like all wet cat foods. My cat peaches does not like tuna but loves salmon. They all crave ff

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried FortiFlora as a topper? One of my guys doesn't seem to like any of his treats anymore, and he used to love pretty much anything I put in front of him, but he still likes it when I give him FortiFlora, actually loves it right out of my hand, but I prefer to use it on TOP of food to get some sustenance in him. Also, he likes dried egg yolk. Does Simba like eggs? If so, just cook one up and give it to him. It's ok to use a little bit of butter if you want to scramble one, or if you boil it he may prefer just the yolk. Probably not the entire yolk if that's all you're giving of the egg...it might cause digestive distress, but you could save some for another day.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Never tried it. We tried Adored Beast gut soothe and it seemed to make him worse, so we are leery of any kind of probiotic supplement.
I ran into the same problem with adored beast. So far she seems OK with proviable dc. Of course,her problem is diaheria,not eating. If I have trouble feeding her I use pure bites freeze dried chicken or purina calming care packets. She will eat hills a/d as a topper

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately he has gotten tired of the baked chicken, but has switched over to turkey lunch meat and cheese! Deb says "we should just make him a turkey hoagie!" :lol: But he still eats Iams dry food and drinks, seems pretty content, but has no interest in the treats that he once loved. I don't think it is something to do with his mouth, because he has no teeth. So we just give him whatever he wants to eat, and at 23 he's earned it! :yummy:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, some of us have been in the palliative care stage you are in. I remember going to the various stores to see if there was anything new. Different flavors, textures, gravies, treat tubes... have you ever tried bonito flakes? They worked for a bit for mine. But like you said, sometimes only works for a while. Tried warming some up?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
First, some of us have been in the palliative care stage you are in. I remember going to the various stores to see if there was anything new. Different flavors, textures, gravies, treat tubes... have you ever tried bonito flakes? They worked for a bit for mine. But like you said, sometimes only works for a while. Tried warming some up?
Yes we heat some of it up for him, sometimes he likes it warm sometimes not. We at times give him nutritional yeast.

He doesn't seem sick, still very active and interested in things, still jumps on the sofas and is friendly etc. Just very picky with his food, but I guess after 23 years you get tired of the same old same old...

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Cat Gunther got like that around that age, found the old boy loved Gerber baby food - chicken and turkey he could lap it up without a care in the world and would eat some fo the fancy feast for seniors as well as a little bit of dry cat food. Gunthers life wound down and he passed in his sleep -never any potty issues, eating issues or bad temperment. He was a great cat and is sorely missed. He lived to be 24.5 years old. He is mised and the recliner he used to sit on to watch hockey and golf with my husband has been retired to the walk out basement, another spot Gunther used to like to hang out. I wish you the best with Simba. Whether we were feeding what was approved or the best he enjoyed it and to us that's all that mattered.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Cat Gunther got like that around that age, found the old boy loved Gerber baby food - chicken and turkey he could lap it up without a care in the world and would eat some fo the fancy feast for seniors as well as a little bit of dry cat food. Gunthers life wound down and he passed in his sleep -never any potty issues, eating issues or bad temperment. He was a great cat and is sorely missed. He lived to be 24.5 years old. He is mised and the recliner he used to sit on to watch hockey and golf with my husband has been retired to the walk out basement, another spot Gunther used to like to hang out. I wish you the best with Simba. Whether we were feeding what was approved or the best he enjoyed it and to us that's all that mattered.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but it sure sounds like he lived the best life that he could, so I agree, give them whatever they want if they eat it, at least they're eating. Deb just gave him some ham lunch meat and he loves it, he eats cheese now too so she said next time our church is selling ham and cheeses sandwiches for a fundraiser she'll get him one lol!!

We did try baby food but he had no interest in it. But he eats these other things and does eat the Iams dry food on his own. We are doing what we can to keep him around, but when it is his time we wish that he would pass peacefully in his sleep like your guy did...:rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
When Deb had taken her mom to her vet to put her last cat Suzy down last week they got to talking and here it turns out the vet also has a 23 year old cat like we have in Simba, and said the same thing "feed them whatever they want to eat at this point". She also has six cats, as we now do, we thought that was pretty wild the similarities!

He really digs Hilshire farms roasted carved turkey, we break it into pieces that he can lap up, he hasn't had teeth in a long time, heat it for a few seconds in the microwave, and he really likes it. We try to use the Nutritional yeast as little as possible. He does eat Iams and Fancy Feast dry food, we see him doing that, at times will still eat some wet food but not much, but has lost all interest in any cat treats which is so strange, he used to LOVE a lot of them but no more. But he's eating and looks to be gaining some weight and doesn't appear to be in any distress, so we'll keep doing this and adjust as needed. :rbheart:

And Sylvester and a few others LOVE this since they come in too when he is yelling at us for his turkey, but I don't give them much of it at all and tell them "Simba needs this, he doesn't eat like you do", but they seem to make out like bandits when he doesn't eat it lol! :clapcat:

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but it sure sounds like he lived the best life that he could, so I agree, give them whatever they want if they eat it, at least they're eating. Deb just gave him some ham lunch meat and he loves it, he eats cheese now too so she said next time our church is selling ham and cheeses sandwiches for a fundraiser she'll get him one lol!!

We did try baby food but he had no interest in it. But he eats these other things and does eat the Iams dry food on his own. We are doing what we can to keep him around, but when it is his time we wish that he would pass peacefully in his sleep like your guy did...:rbheart:
Gunther would have liked your Deb - ham and cheese he would have been all over that. Be well and I hope 2024 is much lighter and brighter year for you and Deb.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Gunther would have liked your Deb - ham and cheese he would have been all over that. Be well and I hope 2024 is much lighter and brighter year for you and Deb.
Thank you and the same for you too!

She was out for breakfast with her friend that she worked with for many years yesterday morning, and this morning her friend texted her and told her that she tested positive for Covid this morning, just great.....:cringe: 😖 Hopefully she didn't pick it up from her!!

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been posting on here about Simba who has to be 23 years old and what we are doing to keep him around with us as long as he is okay. We bought different kinds of foods for him awhile back, some he likes, some he turns his nose up at, but we also started to give him lunch meat and cheese since he likes to eat that, plus I also at times give him some Nutritional yeast, I read they shouldn't get a lot of it because it could cause urinary issues but he's 23 and if he eats it we'll give it a little bit. We have SO many different kinds of treats, he used to eat most of them but lately he is really finicky with them. He used to love baked chicken, but since we started giving him some everyday it seems like the love affair with that is over too lol! But he does eat dry food, Iams and Fancy Feast, is thin but he's 23, so it is to be expected. And we think that when he comes into the kitchen to see what treats or food I will put down he is just "playing" me, he doesn't cry like he used to, he just walks away if he doesn't like what I put down, and if he likes it he'll eat it, so we figure this is how he will be. Last night I tried some solid tuna in water and he didn't care for it, so we try other things and figure as long as he is eating something and drinking and using the litter box and seems interested in things (which he is) he's okay, and will eat and do things on his own schedule. But Sylvester and a few others are taking full advantage of him leaving "excess" food on the floor! :clapcat:

We fully thought that he would be the next one to pass away, not Slim as I had posted on here. But that's life I guess...we never know what is going on insdie them and they are masters at hiding health issues. But he doesn't seem sick, we just think it is his age.

Any other food suggestions would be appreciated, thank you! :gingercat:
If you are going to feed him can ,, have you tried the fancy feast gravies.. They are little meaty bites with gravy .. my cats love it and its easer to chew and I would think digest... They are called Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers ..

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to feed him can ,, have you tried the fancy feast gravies.. They are little meaty bites with gravy .. my cats love it and its easer to chew and I would think digest... They are called Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers ..
Yes, we have tried almost everything out there lol! Sometimes he eats them, sometimes just licks the gravy!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you can add mashed potatoes and gravy to the ever growing list of what the old guy will eat lol!! We're trying to stick with meats and cheese, but every now and then he drives us half nuts so we'll try odd things, and this he ate a few times, not a lot, but he ate it!