trying to get my cats to get along with each other

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a 3 year old cat who i got from a shelter when she was just a tiny kitten. and i recently adopted a 6 month old cat from a friend. both of them are females. they usually don't get along at all. there has been chasing, growling, hissing, apparently some fighting, since i found a big scratch on my older cat's nose the other day. i've had this new cat for about 2 and a half weeks. i am able to leave them alone in the house mostly. but a big problem i've noticed is that little kitty doesn't want to let my older one get near the food bowls. and that's whether they are placed next to each other or on either end of the house. she will run back and forth trying to defend both bowls. but today they seem to be doing better, or at least i think. i would like some help interpreting this behavior i just noticed. the have been laying on the couch near each other for a while now and have both started laying belly up, with their heads upside down and staring at each other. there is no growling or anything but their tails are twitching some. and they keep reaching out at each other. i took a picture. i would like to think this was some bonding time between them and that laying like that mean they felt comfortable around each other. am i reading this wrong or are we finally making some progress? any tips on getting them to be more friendly with each other?  

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome. Your problem is very common, but usually there are ways to solve it and evetually your cats should be fine together. Two and a half weeks is a very short time to get to know each other, and they each see the other as a threat right now. It does not sound as if you have been through any of the recognised introduction procedures (forgive me if I am wrong) and it is not surprising that they are determined to protect their rights to food and favourite places. Both of them have had their worlds turned upside down.

There are many articles on this site that will help you, if you do a search at the top of the page. Meanwhile here is one written by one of our own experts.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I hope this helps.