Trying To Find Out The Breed Of My Cat Smokie!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
oh my goodness, what a great cat!
I think your baby is a really interesting mishmash of several breeds, maybe a pointed breed such as birman or Balinese that brought about those blue eyes, possibly some maine coon or Norwegian forest cat, but ...
There are dna tests for pets if you're interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. This helps alot. He is my only baby and had him since he was 6 weeks. At his vet's office the nurses think he is Norwegian forrest, he is 22lbs and stands 2 and a half ft tall on 2 legs and 1 and a half on all 4. He is very unique in personality and even walks on a lesh. He talks too. The nurses heard him say hi the minute he saw me when i picked him up from his doctors office. I also love the pic of your cat.

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. Yeah his daddy taught him to shake hands and i taught him to fetch, stay, lay and sit. It's amazing how they can be taught that, even when some people say that cat's can't be taught like dogs. Oh ? what is the best way to keep the mats away. I just had him patched shaved at his vet but i don't want him to get them again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are seriously smart, absolutely! :cool2: :cloud9:

I have found that keeping the fur in the areas where the mats typically develop shorter seems to help.
I still have to take blunt-end scissors, cut some of his mats and then work them loose the rest of the way with my fingers. Also, I've read that corn starch, worked into a mat and left for several hours, can help the individual strands to loosen.
People will comment to brush frequently - my guy still gets them. His diet is good and he's healthy but the Persian influence (He's mostly Turkish Angora) has blessed/cursed him with cottony belly fur. I can look at it wrong some days and it mats LOL.
Other than trying to keep susceptible areas a little shorter, I'm not sure if there is anything other than keeping up with them as they occur :redx: ....not helpful, I know :gingercat2:

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually that does help. My vet never mentioned anything like that. Thank you. Cause my guys a very furry one. Lol

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think a pointed Siberian could be a good comparison for this handsome kitty. Siberians are a giant breed, like Norwegian Forest Cats. NFCs (and Maine Coons) don’t come in pointed patterns, and your gorgeous boy has a round face, like a Siberian. Without papers, though, he would be called a seal lynx point Domestic Longhair. You could get him DNA tested, as Furballsmom mentioned, if you’re really curious.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, a comparison to a pointed Siberian is the nearest and most feasible for you.
Because pointed siberians does exist, while pointed MCO and Norwegians are frowned upon. This is also a normally big sized breed.

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you and i believe i will get him tested to fi d out. I got him for a birthday present and the girl how gave him to me said she could get the papers from the original owner but i just loved him so much that i just really didn't want the papers.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Siberian is a rare breed in the US and most of them are not pointed. The Ragdoll is a much more common large longhaired breed that does come in the pointed pattern; it may or may not have white spotting. I am not seeing anything obvious about the cat that leads me to believe that it is either Ragdoll or Siberian in type. Most likely we are looking at a domestic longhair, but since there are lots of Ragdoll breeders that breed for the pet market (not towards a show standard) I expect there are Ragdolls out there that have all kinds of looks to them.

Last edited:

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gato siberiano. I did some research from all your tips. I called the girl who gave him to me, she couldn't remember, but she said thst she got him from a Russian lady in the neighborhood who breeded these kinds if cats.

IreneR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The e interesting thing about him is I have had cats all my 41 yrs from the time i was 1 yrs old, i have never been allergic to any cat, but i am to him. I have to take allergy pill every day. Never had to before cause i am not allergic to animals. I thought that was a little weird and its nothing i grew into cause before i got him i had a cat 1 yr prior to getting him and no problems, but got him and allergy galore. I will take allergy pills for the rest of my life cause my stinker is never going anywhere.