Trying to find elderly cat a loving home

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother is likely to enter memory care soon and can no longer care for her 20 yr old cat. Family members are allergic and have dogs. I'm trying to find a loving home, but the age of the cat is an issue. She does not like dogs or other cats, and mostly just finds a comfortable spot throughout the day. Not sure about kids, but I doubt she would tolerate them. Local rescue angencies want thousands of dollars to care for her the remainder of her life. That's a problem as well. Does anyone know of potential options for this type of situation?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bella is currently in Santee, CA

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like they are not taking cats at the moment. I appreciate your search. I will continue to look, but it is troubling. I wonder what people do in this situation. I cannot put her down. That would crush my mom and it's not the right thing to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did either Golden Oldies or Milo's offer any other groups/institutions you could contact?

Are there any neighbors who would be willing to foster her while you continue to look? If you are in a position to do so, you could offer to pay all the associated expenses in the meantime. If you don't know any of the neighbors, you could look for them on Next Door Neighbor web site.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
FAQ
I am assuming that you know about this place as it does have a surrender fee of about $5000. The only advantage is that if you live in CA they will allow you to make payments.

For individuals the total charge to surrender a cat is $5000. As a courtesy and only if you live in California, we will accept monthly payments toward this total, provided that you have first paid a non-refundable deposit of $500 (for cats under 8 years old) and $1000 for senior cats (8 years and older). The minimum monthly payment for non-senior cats is $60 per month until the entire balance is paid (up to 83 months) and $75 per month for senior cats (up to 67 months). If the cat is unvaccinated or unaltered, there is an $80 fee in addition to the deposit.

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Golden Oldies is in Monterey. Logistically that does not work in our situation. They did have some pointers if trying to place on my own. I have not reached out directly to Milo yet, but will today. Thank you!

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FAQ
I am assuming that you know about this place as it does have a surrender fee of about $5000. The only advantage is that if you live in CA they will allow you to make payments.

For individuals the total charge to surrender a cat is $5000. As a courtesy and only if you live in California, we will accept monthly payments toward this total, provided that you have first paid a non-refundable deposit of $500 (for cats under 8 years old) and $1000 for senior cats (8 years and older). The minimum monthly payment for non-senior cats is $60 per month until the entire balance is paid (up to 83 months) and $75 per month for senior cats (up to 67 months). If the cat is unvaccinated or unaltered, there is an $80 fee in addition to the deposit.

I was not aware in this case, but found one near Santee that charges the same. I understand the need to pay for the cat's health, food, etc. for the remainder of thier life if they remain an "office" cat. The charges are rediculous in my opinion. I'm all for supporting the cause and realize donations are badly needed. These just seem excessive to me, but what do I know.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your mom's cat is 20 and if anyone were to take her, it would more than likely not be an ongoing expense of years and years. Will anyone accept a donation, or the offer to pay for her food ( if that is possible) in order to help with her expense?

I don't believe that any rescue is going to pay for medical care, aside from something basic and easily treatable like an eye infection, for a very elderly cat.

If you don't have Nextdoor, give it a try as was suggested. nextdoor.com

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many Assisted Living residences actually allow small pets to come with the residents. Have you asked them if your mom's cat can come with her? That might actually be an option.

BTW, I used to live in Santee! It's been more than 30 years now, but it was a great place to live, at least back then.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many Assisted Living residences actually allow small pets to come with the residents. Have you asked them if your mom's cat can come with her? That might actually be an option.
A neighbor was allowed to take her Pomeranian dog into a memory care unit.
B Bella Bella - I overlooked this being a possible option, I hope you did too, and that it is feasible. It would be the best of both worlds for your mom and Bella!!!!

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your mom's cat is 20 and if anyone were to take her, it would more than likely not be an ongoing expense of years and years. Will anyone accept a donation, or the offer to pay for her food ( if that is possible) in order to help with her expense?

I don't believe that any rescue is going to pay for medical care, aside from something basic and easily treatable like an eye infection, for a very elderly cat.

If you don't have Nextdoor, give it a try as was suggested. nextdoor.com
I have not tried Nextdoor yet. I know you have to be careful when going with complete strangers.

Bella Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

BTW, I used to live in Santee! It's been more than 30 years now, but it was a great place to live, at least back then.
We are looking for that option, but we do have concerns with my mom's ability to take care of the cat. She tends to put out many cans of soft food hoping Bella is interested in one of them. They dry up. Bella can't get the food out of the can easily. It will be a difficult transition for both.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello
My partner's sister took her dog into assisted living, and also hired a company that helps with issues such as when she went to the ER, they stepped in and made sure the dog was taken care of.

There might be something like that available, where they could double-check on the welfare of this cat, maybe every other day or something.

I have not tried Nextdoor yet. I know you have to be careful when going with complete strangers.
You do. This article is helpful even though it's titled for kittens, including setting a rehoming fee. Nextdoor advises at least $50.00.
"Kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens - TheCatSite

Last edited: