Trying To Find Best Affordable Dry Food For My Cats

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. I'm currently feeding them Nature's Recipe but I am wanting to switch. The problem is, I have done research but I don't know what to get them. As for a price point... Preferably $40 for a 20 pound bag or something like that. What dry food brands would you recommend?

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Canadae but only because one of them has poultry and dairy allergies. They like it. I feed them Merrick canned food which gets good reviews and they like it too. Grain free of course. Hope this helps.

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taste of the wild is fine. protein is 42% has probiotic which is for sensitive stomach.
Honestly, I don't recommend dry food because cat should eat raw food.
but raw food is too expensive and hard to feed them.
I notice that kibble is not good for my cats, but it's cost- effective

Yanira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you preffer it to be grain-free? If that´s not the case, I remember my vet recommending me BRIT when I was feeding Varian Hill´s Science. Although I don´t know if it is avaliable outside Spain...
Like sungjae pae said, Taste of the wild is a good dry cat food, but it can go a bit far from your budget...

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The "best" dry food in that price range really depends on what you are looking for. Everyone has something different they want to see or don't want to see in their pet's food. I am personally feeding my cat 4health All Life Stages from Tractor supply. Definitely not what most here would consider the "best" but it's good for the price.
Some others I looked at during my search and heard good things about were Chicken Soup for the Soul and Whole Earth Farms.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to say chicken soup for the soul as was mentioned above as my brother did extensive research and said it compares very well to the blue buffalo I feed my kitty brigade. More cost effective than what I currently feed so we r actually thinking about switching ourselves

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought natures recipe was a pretty good food. I was feeding my cats that until everyone seemed to stop selling it, so I switched to Earthborn. It is $30 for a 14 lb bag. It has some fillers, but it was the highest protein food I could find for the lowest price. I would like to feed Natures Instinct but It's too expensive.

You might try Victor. It comes in a 15 lb bag and I think it is $20-something. It's not grain free, but they use higher quality grains. They are a very good company based in Texas. I feed my dog their food.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What stores do you have. A tip i found out. is if you have a petsmart. make sure to have them match their online price which is a lot cheaper then in store. I buy Good Natured grain free for around $26. I believe its 16 pounds

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I was looking to switch foods I visited the independent pet stores, not the big chains, e.g. Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus. The reason being that they took the time to talk with me and I found them to be more knowledgeable. In addition, they all offered generous samples to me, many of which were not sold in the chain stores. Just thought I'd offer this suggestion to you. Good luck! :)

WhiteWolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nature's Recipe is a decent dry food. It was part of my rotation when I was feeding dry. Why are you wanting to switch? Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild are also affordable. I think Solid Gold is within your price range as well.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like WhiteWolf said...why do you want to change dry food for another one, is there an allergy?. For a better quality, the price will go up. Instead of switching...you could add some wet food in the rotation?