Trying to figure this out

andieg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our outdoor/indoor cat has some sores/scabs on her body, had vet check and we check, finding nothing. But since she sits on my lap and sometimes hangs out on our bed/furniture, I have it now and our other cat has a little. Itches like crazy and spreads, can pop out hours later. Any ideas? We live in the desert.

Thank you

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm is the first thing that springs to mind, though I'm very surprised that your vet didn't pick up on it if I'm right. All I can think is try another vet for a second opinion. That fact it seems to be spreading throughout the household is a definite sign that it needs swift treatment to stop it spreading further.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds like ringworm, but the only way to confirm 100% is a fungal culture.  You can try a Woods (blacklight) lamp but not every type of ringworm fluoresces under blacklight.

Weird though to see it in the desert since fungal infections are usually from high humidity and poor husbandry.

I suppose it could be some other form of parasite I'm unfamiliar with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andieg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not ringworm - turned out to be ear mites! once we rechecked even though ears looked clear we gave them the 30 day application to the skin and it stopped.