Trying To Catch Stray Kitten

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's a he and I am guessing about 3 months old. Came out of store Friday night and found this cute black kitten playing around a tree. When I approached it scampered away, but not too far and came back. It was winding and rubbing all around everything, it would come close and run away. Very talkative. I fed it, but could not catch it, he kept running off if I moved to him. But when I move away and follows me. Finally I gave him some more food and left. Went back the next day with a trap and more food. The trap was too small. But he comes as soon as he sees me and follows me around. Went back Sunday couldn't find him. Called animal control and they cant do anything unless the store manager calls. Went Monday night with larger trap. He comes right to me, he rolls around on the ground, follows me everywhere but I cant get him. He went into the trap but didn't trip it. He climbed in my car and explored but jumped out when I moved. He lays on the ground about 6 inches from me kneading the ground and looking at me. I know I'm close but its very frustrating I can tell he really wants to but is scared. I am going back tonight with a pet carrier, maybe when he gets in it I can shut the door. He stands up and sniffs my hands, and swats at them, he has put his mouth on my finger when I was just sitting there. He didn't apply pressure but I took my hand away and ended up getting a scrap. Went home and washed it with disinfectant, and you couldn't even see it the next day. Didn't think it was serious enough to go get a shot. I think he may have belonged to someone who threw him away or he stowed away in a car engine. Either way, I hope I can catch him tonight.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, maybe the cat carrier will work, just put the food in the back and shut the door when he goes in. If that doesn't work, you could wear thick gloves and maybe try to grab him with a blanket. Just don't get hurt!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: That little kitten sounds like he so wants to trust you, but is still just a teeny bit scared. Hopefully tonight you'll see him and be able to grab him. :crossfingers:

Please be cautious though. We recently had a thread about a feral kitten someone simply grabbed, and the scared kitten bit their hand/finger, which resulted in the human needing several rabies shots. And in some areas, a feral cat that bites someone may have to be quarantined, so again, please be careful. And as per M maggiedemi 's suggestion, wear thick gloves.
And please let us know how it goes. :heartshape:

TCS has a lot of articles on stray/feral cats at this link: Ferals & Rescue | TheCatSite
Here's a couple:
Handling Feral Cats
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I caught him. It was raining and poor baby was under a bush. He came of meowing, and started rubbing against my leg. He started kneading my legs and rolling around on the ground. He was most scared when he was eating, like he expected something to happen. He went in the trap and only cried a little. He is now in the spare room with all the comforts. My other cats know something is back there, their eyes are huge . Now I just have to convince my husband to let me keep it. I have one semi feral cat. She will not let anyone but me pet her, she spends most of the day in our bedroom, I can't say that I have ever heard her purr. She sleeps with me, and she likes only one of my other 2 cats. Might be asking a lot of her and my husband to accept another member. He thinks I should take the new kitty to a no kill shelter where he may get adopted. I don't know, I have heard black cats don't always find a home. And it doesn't feel right to do that to him. Maybe I can take my husband to a shelter, get him adopted.

Attachments

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, that is the cutest kitty ever!! Kudos to you for helping him :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Glad you were able to catch him. Ha, Ha, that was funny about bringing your husband to a shelter. :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, wow. What a cutie pie. :catlove:

I've heard that too, that solid black cats are hard to adopt out, and this little guy's feral beginning, would probably make it harder. Hopefully you'll be able to integrate him into your family. :heartshape: Without having to send your husband to a shelter, that is. :lol:

Since you already have a feral cat, you probably know a lot about socializing them. That said, TCS has a slew of articles on Ferals & Rescue | TheCatSite if there's anything you might be wondering about.
Please keep us updated on the little guy. :dancingblackcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harris4274

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things were quite last night. Left Wally (since I found him outside Walmart) alone with food, water, toys, etc. Not a peep. This morning I could see his little feet at the door. So could all my other furr babies. They all took turns sniffing the door. Closed the hall door in case he escaped and went to give him more food and water. He must have been hungry, he ate the rest of the tuna and the small bowl of dry food I left him. I talked to him while I opened the curtains and got his food and he talked back, but stayed under the bed. Will spend a little time in there tonight and see if he comes out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are able to keep him (:crossfingers:) make sure you get him checked out at the vet before he meets your other cats. :catlove: