Trying to befriend sister in laws cat

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister in law recently moved from the city into the country. She was able to capture and take with her an outdoor kitty that she has fed  for past 3 years. Her name is Y2 (why two). Stands for Yoda the second. I have been visiting my sis in law regularly last few weeks due to a series of sad family events. I decided to try and make friends with Y2. The first couple visits she would run and hide. That progressed to back off and watch from a distance next time around. I would just sit on the back deck at her level, talk to her and wait for her to come to me. She would come close. Sometimes close enough to smell my hand. I know she wants attention by the rumble of her purr, but she is just not sure enough to take a chance. Next time I found the magic answer----fried chicken. Fed her an entire thigh, piece by piece. She would take it from my fingers but would still back away if I reached to touch her. I just sat there and about 30 minutes later she came to me and let me stroke the back of her head and back. She even gave me the" you are not done" tap when I stopped. She does not like chin rubs and slapped me a couple time when I tried (no claws). The next day I furthered our bond with some turkey breast. She still runs away when she first sees me but comes to me if I sit and wait. Such a simple activity and such good simple fun. Here are a couple pics of her after having some chicken. She has 2 cute tear duct drip markings. I hope she will come inside some this winter.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet story.  
  I always love to read about kind behavior overcoming a cat's natural fear.  They are so sweet the way they gradually work up their nerve to trust you.  Well done with Y2!  She's a very pretty girl, too.  Such a delicate miss cleaning her paw after that turkey breast!  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww!  What a cutie!  She looks like she's wearing a superhero mask! I've heard of people using KFC (with the skin removed) for trapping but I've never tried it personally.  I hope she will be ready to come in during the coming winter like you say.  Maybe some more chicken and she'll see humans are not so scary. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is adorable!!  You and your SIL are angels for helping this sweet little girl. 

You didn't mention it but I am assuming that since your SIL has been caring for her for 3 years that she has been spayed?

You're doing everything right. Let her come to you. She's already warming up to you nicely and I think that this is just the beginning of a really special friendship. Keep doing what you are doing- especially with the yummy treats! Keep talking to her- tell her that you love her and want to be her friend. She already knows this because cats are FANTASTIC judges of character and they are super intuitive. She knows that you love her but they are just like us in that they really love and need to hear it. When I tell my Lilith that I love her and she's my beautiful little angel girl, she closes her eyes, puts her head back and purrs soooo loudly. My Sophie gives me lots of slow blinks and Henry comes over for pets. They understand and if you pay attention to their body language, they will tell you the same right back. 

i think that you have a really good chance of getting her to come in. Are there any other animals inside the house that she would need to be introduced to?? If so, we can help you do that. Please make sure everyone including Y2 are up to date on their vaccinations. 

Y2 is a very lucky girl to have such a loving family!!  

ETA- the second picture of her- with the tongue out makes me think of @Norachan  's Happy with a black mask on. They are both so cute 

Last edited:

trendygyfts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray that visits my place quite often but could never quite get close to her >.<

But thanks for your story! Y2 is indeed a lucky one and she's gorgeous.

P.S - I need to try the fried chicken trick 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Y2 has been spayed and vaccinated. She is not afraid of my sis in law. Sis does have an indoor dog. They kinda get along. Y2 has come into the garage on the coldest nights last winter, but prefers her doghouse and the outdoors. Becoming her friend will take a lot of time due to the distance between us and infrequency of visits.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been about 3 weeks since I last saw Y2. This past weekend we took the food and treats Xena left behind and gave them to Y2. She still views me with caution. Some Temptations brought her right to me. She came close enough to get the treats, but not quite close enough to touch her. I went to the other side of the deck, turned my back to her and ignored her. It was not long til I heard purring at my feet. She then allowed me to pet her. I was glad to hear that she is accepting a little more indoor time. The next morning I gave her a pouch of rabbit cuts in gravy. She emptied her bowl in short order, then checked the pouch for more gravy. Always cute to see a cat use a paw as a spoon. It really felt nice to touch a kitty and hear her purr.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got to see Y2 Christmas day. Glad to see that she is warming up to indoor life. The hardest part of her adjustment to indoors is my sis in law's French bulldog. Y2 mostly stays in a bedroom. Sometimes she sits at the edge of the hallway looking at everybody. Seems she is longing to join in, but lacks confidence. It was nice to give her some attention. I also got to feed and pet a community cat they call Socks. Contact with these 2 kitties and petting dad's cat, Chester on Christmas Eve, helped me through my first Christmas without Xena and second without Boney Girl. 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear you are doing well.  The fried chicken....I think it's a universal cat attraction!  My old guy smells it as soon as I walk in the house with KFC, especially, and he has climbed my leg before to get to the bag.  He has stolen it from the garbage, from the counter, everywhere...we have learned to put it away very well when we have it!  It must have something in those "special herbs and spices" that particularly appeals to them!!