Trusting the vets diagnosis?

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, as you may have seen from previous threads, my poor little Cecil has been suffering with itchy skin which has caused him to excessively bite and make it sore.

Back story: the itching started around a month ago just after he was neutered, but we did also put him on a new hypoallergenic food the same day (not because of sensitivities, just because we didn't like that his previous Royal Canin kitten food had sugars in). It started off as small red patches on his tummy, then a few days later brown specks appeared on the skin, then as time went on the redness increased but the brown specks started flaking off like dry skin. It looks like it is healing but has now spread to around his eyes and ears and the creases under his front legs, and he is scratching more than ever.

Anyway.. when he started biting to the point he was pulling clumps of fur out, I thought enough was enough so took him to the vet. After lots of research I was convinced it was fungal, as it looks suspiciously similar to Malassezia dermatitis. The vet took a (quick) look at his sore spots and told us it was probably food allergies, and sent us away with steroid tablets and some sensitive exclusion diet food. 24 hours after the vet visit, the skin has improved but he's been in a head cone since so I assume that's why.

I guess I just don't know whether to trust the vets judgement that it's food related, when he's always eaten chicken (Royal Canin) then after been on a hypoallergenic food consisting of chicken & carrot. I would of course still be willing to do the exclusion diet to see if it works, but Cecil has point blank refused to eat the sensitive food so now we're back to square one.

I'm really at a loss and feel so sorry for my little boy as he is clearly uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think that he developed a sensitivity to the anesthesia that was used during his neutering and switching to another food, even though hypoallergenic, was just too much for his system. To see if this is true switch him back to his old original food and see if that helps. The steroids wouldn't hurt at all, but be very careful, you have to wean him off of them or it will make matters worse.
Just because the food says it is hypoallergenic, it doesn't mean there can't be something, some additive that YOUR cat is allergic to. They have found now that supposedly healthy foods are causing all kinds of problems because of the vegetables and fillers added, problems that are even leading to death. Cats are carnivores, period. They need meat to remain healthy, not carrots. Their digestive systems are totally different than ours, as are their nutritional requirements. Carrots contain sugar too and are a filler. Some cats are fine with these foods, some are not. I would definitely go back to his old diet, and then when everything clears up you can try something new if you decide to. Whatever your poor little boy has it IS an allergy, whether to his food, a change in your laundry detergent, some kind of new household cleaner used regularly or from his anesthesia. you just have to find out what.........

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat, Cecil, has been having continuous health issues due to a possible food allergy. Here is a TCS Article you may find helpful about food allergies: 11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – Cat Articles

If you are unsure whether your vet is providing the best treatment you may want to look into a second opinion for peace of mind. You can also consider a veterinary dermatologist.
acvd.org | Find Dermatologist | Veterinarians with specialized training in skin, ears, and allergy

Please keep us posted on your progress, fingers crossed Cecil feels better soon. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really think that he developed a sensitivity to the anesthesia that was used during his neutering and switching to another food, even though hypoallergenic, was just too much for his system. To see if this is true switch him back to his old original food and see if that helps. The steroids wouldn't hurt at all, but be very careful, you have to wean him off of them or it will make matters worse.
Just because the food says it is hypoallergenic, it doesn't mean there can't be something, some additive that YOUR cat is allergic to. They have found now that supposedly healthy foods are causing all kinds of problems because of the vegetables and fillers added, problems that are even leading to death. Cats are carnivores, period. They need meat to remain healthy, not carrots. Their digestive systems are totally different than ours, as are their nutritional requirements. Carrots contain sugar too and are a filler. Some cats are fine with these foods, some are not. I would definitely go back to his old diet, and then when everything clears up you can try something new if you decide to. Whatever your poor little boy has it IS an allergy, whether to his food, a change in your laundry detergent, some kind of new household cleaner used regularly or from his anesthesia. you just have to find out what.........
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense! I went to the pet shop today and got him some of his old Royal Canin food so we will see if that improves things. The only issue is he's being a bit fussy with what he eats at the moment, he is eating but he picks and chooses when and how much... I will just have to keep at it. This could be a long old road to recovery.... :/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat, Cecil, has been having continuous health issues due to a possible food allergy. Here is a TCS Article you may find helpful about food allergies: 11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats – Cat Articles

If you are unsure whether your vet is providing the best treatment you may want to look into a second opinion for peace of mind. You can also consider a veterinary dermatologist.
acvd.org | Find Dermatologist | Veterinarians with specialized training in skin, ears, and allergy

Please keep us posted on your progress, fingers crossed Cecil feels better soon. :crossfingers:
Thank you for this, it's really helpful! I've contacted a veterinary dermatologist in my area this afternoon so hopefully I can get him seen by them for a second opinion. I would like to get some tests done (which for some reason my vet didn't seem bothered about doing) so I can rule out things like fungal infections etc. Just want my poor little boy to be better.

I will keep you posted, keep everything crossed for Cecil and I!