True or false?

jaksmom13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys; is it true that cats stomached are a lot more sensitive than ours? I'm just curious because my kitten freaks out and bites whenever you touch his belly.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. When cats are fighting, they will kick and claw at bellies (you see this when they play with toys too) so it can be quite natural for them to not like their bellies being touched. Most of my cats would be okay with a couple belly rubs or touches as a health check but would only like a couple rubs before reacting defensively. 

Our Jackie on the other hand LOVES belly rubs. She will flay out on her back while laying on one of our laps to get her belly (and the underside of her chin) rubbed...even after her spay surgery. I was kind of surprised the first time she did this a few days after we adopted her as her former owner's kids said she HATED her belly being touched and would bite. Definitely not our experience! I think however the difference may be we never go to rub her belly UNLESS she clearly splays out and indicates she wants it rubbed...we don't go grab it or rub it without a clear okay from her!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends what you mean by "sensitive". In Ritz's case, she has trust issues. So it took her a long time for her to let down her guard (literally and figuratively) and expose her belly to me. Now she loves belly rubs, but I only do so if she intiates it and I watch her body language carefully to make sure she doesn't tire of it (petting agression). A cat lying on her back is a submissive pose, too; it is easier for a predator to attack.
On the other hand, if you mean is the belly more tender, no, I don't think so. I can tell you, if I ever was giving Ritz a belly rub and she cried out as in pain, I'd take her immediately to the vets.
Finally, metabolically: cats can handle a lot more bacteria, 'iffy' food than humans can. That is why feral/stray/abandoned (Ritz!) cats can live off of dumpster food.

paul n steve

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine is! I can only pet his belly for a little while until he's had enough. He's 4 though. If a cat rolls over and shows you his belly, then he's saying he trusts and loves you and you'd never hurt him.  I'm pretty sure cats protect their stomach so because it's a vulnerable kill spot to feral cats & cats outside, they'll belly up when being submissive though. I know the signs that my cat has had enough sritchin and I try to stop before my hand gets pawed at :)

I bet your kitten will grow to trust and love you (he probably already does though) and won't freak out as much when he gets a soft scratch! Sounds like he's just being a kitty!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got two cats that are totally different. My older one LOVES his belly rubbed, he'll even move on his back to get closer and get more! If you even try to touch my youngster's belly he'll latch on and give you some powerful kicks. Needless to say he hurts! I guess it totally depends on the cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaksmom13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! [emoji]128522[/emoji] I think he just plain doesn't like it, because he does lay belt up all the time so I don't think it's a trust thing.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
True & False.

It depends on the kitty.

My Charlie with NOT allow anyone to touch his stomach area. He bites RIGHT AWAY

My Jet LOVES tummy rubs and always asks for them

i avoid anything my cats don't like