Trout and the Christmas Tree: Advice needed

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So as some of you may know, Trout eats anything and everything.

I joined this forum almost 6 years ago because Trout ate some flowers and got very sick and almost died. (They were not toxic to her, they just upset her tummy causing her not to eat).

I have always avoided Christmas trees in the house because of that reason, I am afraid she will eat it and get sick again.

But we just bought our first house, and I was getting a Christmas tree no matter what. I have never had a Christmas tree for Trouts whole life, and that is almost 8 years! I can't let the furry dictator rule my life any longer!

I need advice though.

What do you do to keep the cats away? Or do you just let them have a hayday with the tree?

I was thinking of putting her in the basement (its finished) during the day while we are at work because her litterbox is down there. Is that mean?

Ugh, I am just so worried about it. She is already munching on it anytime we aren't looking.

What should I do?

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you going to be getting a real tree or a false tree? I read a few threads on this issue earlier this month (perhaps in the cat behavior section - I forget) but there were various suggestions. I have a fake tree and my kitty loves going in it, but I've started to put citrus scented ornaments in the tree, as well as a candle near the tree (apparently cats do not like this scent) and since then he's been staying out of it (for the most part!). Also, we moved the tree so it's backed into a corner, and then we put presents all around the outer edge (and also some empty boxes) so it makes it pretty difficult for Riley to get near the tree, which has also helped. Good luck! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go ahead and put her in the basement during the day.  I saw the pics of it and it's a nice place for her to be!  And it'll give you peace of mind.

Mooch and Noodles chew on our tree (a fake one) some.  I keep a can of compressed air (like you use to clean your keyboard) and I'll squirt that in the tree (not at them) when I hear them chewing.  Works wonders.  I still find some puked up needles; but after a few days they've lost interest. 

Like you; we went without a tree for a long time because of them.  I got a small tree I could pick up and move into a closed room one year.  It was better than nothing.  But now that we have DD I didn't want to do that anymore. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know your worry :(. We have not had a tree in three years. We have a fake tree and Pipsqueak eats it. He got very, very sick too. Also now with the young cat's, I am worried they will eat the tree too. I will be interested in hearing the suggestions. A friend of mine uses that bitter apple spray, but I can't see spraying that all over the tree :dk: But she swears by it.:wavey:

Last edited:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout may be past the age where she will attach the tree, but she will be curious. One thing was use when we first put up the tree we let is sit for a few days and let the kitties get used to it. We also use Boundary spray to keep them from attacking it. Yeah, it stinks for a few hours but it keeps them away and the smell leaves after a while. We usually spray it for a few days. After that they usually leave it alone. 

Putting Trout in the basement while you are gone isn't bad at all. You have peace of mind and Trout has everything she needs. Don't feel bad about it.

windycitymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hayday.  LOL.  But mine are youngins.... two of them are over a year old, one is only 10 months.  He's my climber...

best of luck! I've re-done the lights like 5 times since november.