Troubles with Rury

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, we rescued Rury in Oct. 2020.

We saw him at a Popeyes hanging around the garbage with what appeared to be an injured leg, he was hobbling and holding it up. We returned later that night because we couldn't stop thinking about him and it was getting cold, and after a few hours we lured him into a trap and took him home. He spent about a month locked in the guest bedroom, and I had daily interactions with him with petting and feeding.

During that time I was taking blankets and beds that he used out and letting my kittens smell them, and they were super young at this point, like 6mo. I was taking their things in the room and also the room itself should have been covered fully in their scent since they were in there all the time.

Eventually I started leaving the door open to Rurys room for a few hours at a time, and slowly worked up to leaving it open 100% of the time.

None of them have ever fought but I would not say they've ever really become friends. I think Rury maybe wanted to for a while with them, but they were always hesitant of him and just sort of let him be.

We're at a point now where all 3 eat on a table together, and they are never separated. Rury now loves to play and loves to be pet (pick up/lap or anything like that is 100% off-limits still). I never thought he'd reach this point! He jumps up on my desk with my several times a day asking to be pet, and lays down on the desk infront of me, he is the same with my husband now as well. He pretty much never goes in "his room" anymore, preferring to sleep in our bed or infront of the fireplace.

So onto the issues that have been popping up the last few weeks. Rury wants to eat... A LOT. I have always free fed the kittens and they pretty much self regulate, I'll put a can down and they will typically take a few hours to eat it all, coming and going. But now I really have to keep a hawkeye out on Rury because he will eat his, wait for Tuck and Winnie to finish what they want, and then go try to eat all of that as well. Every time I stand up and move towards the kitchen area, he comes running, and sits on the table, expecting food. He has also started getting pushy when the humans are eating, trying to get his head to the plates. My night routine since I got the kittens was to put one last can of food out at night, and they eat on it all night until I get up (i get up sort of late). This hasn't been working out anymore, because Rury eats their "reserves", and they are really hungry when I get up.

Microchip feeders and whatnot are out of the question...way too expensive. Is there any other ideas other then locking rury up at night in his old room (I really don't want to do this), or completely changing their schedules? How do I get them used to something they've known their whole life.

Next issue I'm having is... I don't want to say aggression, but I'm not really sure what it is? For a few weeks Rury has been doing some weird stuff to the other cats. Mostly the girls, Winnie and Reme (reme is only here on the weekends, but shes friends with everyone). When they are in the litter box for instance, he likes to get close and wait for them to come out. Then he'll charge at them, but doesn't actually do anything when he reaches them? He'll also sometimes do this in doorways, sometimes he will try to "grab" them with his disfigured leg... which really upsets them and they all scream at him when he does it. Then he just sorta looks dumbfounded afterwards? I don't know if he is trying to play (but they won't play with him), or if it is some type of bullying, or some kind of pecking order situation now that he is a lot more comfortable in the house. It doesn't seem too dangerous so far, but I don't know if I should do anything about it.
It is particularly bad with Reme, who is the smallest kitten, really a baby still. He can get really obsessive over her. I have had to shoo him away so she could get out of the litterbox, or just, leave her alone, because she gets really upset.

Also, everyone is spayed/neutered, even the baby!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, sounds perfectly normal! Rury wants to play with the others and is interested in them, but females especially do not like to be bothered. Just make sure there are plenty of litterboxes around, he can't cover them all. He learned that they are a 'captive audience' when they are using the litterbox, so this is when he plans his 'attacks'. Females swatting, hissing, growling, and screaming is all normal for them. They are melodramatic and any little thing out of their comfort zone is catastrophic.
You should discourage these ambushes by him as much as possible, you don't want your other cats to avoid the litterbox. I would get a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it towards him when he is stalking or waiting, or any small toy he might be distracted with.
He might be truly hungry too. He was forced to scrounge for food and is afraid it might disappear again. Its only been 5 months, and all are doing really well, Rury just wants more playtime and they don't, so hopefully, he will eventually find something he likes to play with. The food issue will resolve in time, I would put down a bowl of good quality dry and let them get full that way. Maybe Rury will be the only one to eat it. you might increase his helpings and see if that helps to see if he is truly hungry, or it is more of a hoarding thing. all in all, they are doing very well, mine took a year to get used to each other. I think time will iron a lot of these problems out.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He sounds super :)
I agree Rury seems to want to play. My boys both do jump out and ambush games with each other. But as Di and Bob mentioned, your other cats are not as keen.
What about a Da Bird wand toy for him to help release energy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FWAP8A/?tag=thecatsite

Also feed with a little more space between them, so everybody feels their food is safe & they have enough. I would also increase Rorys portion. He may need time to get over food insecurities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh that is good to hear! I didn't realize it was normal for the girls to be so upset over things. They really ARE dramatic. Tuck never gets like that, lol. But, he doesn't play with Rury either. However, Rury also doesn't seem to try to play with Tuck. Just the girls. There are 4 litter boxes in the house. 2 in the living room (opposite ends), one in "rurys room", and one in our bedroom (it's never used).
But it certainly makes me feel sad that no one wants to play with him :( He is also never groomed by them, but they all groom each other. He seems to have kinda been outcast, which really makes me sad. Maybe it's too soon? At least, no one is outwardly mean/aggressive to him.
We do play with Rury! He LOVES wand toys. We often play until he is panting. He is a fast kitty and chases like mad. Rury has always loved to play...even when he was scared and locked in the guest room. I would spy on him in the middle of the night when it was quiet via a camera, and he was often rolling on the floor with the toys I had in there for him. It took a long time for him to play with me, but now he loves it. He's up for wand chasing at any time, and will play and play until I stop, unlike Tuck and Winnie who eventually just lay there and stare. Lol. Makes me so happy how far he has come, it was unimaginable when we got him here.
He is also really good at catching mice...

I can try feeding him in a different spot but it was kind of his choice to eat on the table with winnie & tuck. I was feeding him in the room, but then he realized winnie and tucks food was on the table, and went up there all the time. After a while when he heard the cans he'd jump on the table, so I just started feeding him up there. He also definitely eats so much more then them, even though he is the smallest, weight wise, and an adult (so should need less then a kitten?), he was about 9.2lbs, winnie is about 9.7, and tuck is a whopping 11.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So glad to read your update! As for feeling sorry for Rury, try not to. Think of how he hit the kitty lottery when you got him out of the Popeye's parking lot and gave him a stupendous home. I have always had cats who were less close to the others and were not groomed, one right now who apparently has managed to live for the last 16 years that way. You play with him and that counts for a lot in his kitty mind as you are his mom.

Jamie likes to do the paw up routine on his two girlfriends and also to my older female. All of them dislike it although they seem to like him in general.

I have a problem with the sister of my avatar, who looks much the same. She loves to eat and will go over to her sister's dish in the morning and sit very close to wait for whatever is left. I do not believe that she had anything like the terrible experience that Rury had...in fact, I know that she did not as I have been aware of her whereabouts from the time she was born, but there was competition outside for food I am sure and she seems thrilled that she now has her own buffet set up. I do have to watch her weight but that is something we are getting to. I would try the bowl of good quality dry food and see what happens.