Trouble With Making A Semi-feral Cat Comfortable And Concerns With Introducing Her To Our Kitten

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So, we caved in. We bought another cat. Daisy now has a big sister.

A bit of back story:

Her name is Tygra. She was a rescue cat that for three years had not had any interest in her at all. We saw her picture on a facebook posting and immediately fell in love with her. (We love calico tabbies). People seem to have turned a blind eye to her because she began her life as a feral. At 2 months old she was taken from a cat hoarders house (where the cats numbered in the hundreds). There were dead cats, decaying cats, cats with rotting body parts. There were garbage bins filled with cat and human excrement. Three of Tygra's siblings died and she had a respiratory problem that is all better now. For three years she was living with her foster parents who were cat rescuers and tried to re-home these cats. It took her a long, long time to trust her foster parents but eventually came and sat by them for pettings. The fact she wasn't going to be an immediate cuddle cat and needed work getting her to trust you put people off. (Though her story got into newspapers and she became semi-locally famous, and suddenly everyone was interested in her because of that..)

So we had her brought over about 4 days ago and had a room prepared for her. It had box forts, beds, blankets, a scratching post, litter box etc, everything she would need.

We've tried to follow instructions on the internet on how to make her feel comfortable. We've sat in the room with her, let her hear our voices, tried using long stick toys to interest her, and when we did make eye contact (she was hiding for days and we still haven't really seen her in full) we made sure to give her lots of 'kitty kisses' with our eyes. Most of these instructions however are for already domesticated cats, and there's not as much for semi-ferals, and the instructions we have seen for them are relatively the same, or have not shown to work yet.

She barely eats (but has eaten a little), and she is using her litter box. When she sees us she doesn't recoil. When we throw stinky toys toward her (apparently she loves stinky toys) she doesn't even flinch. I don't think she's scared, just incredibly upset about finally trusting her foster parent and then getting sent to a new home. She has basically been an inanimate object with moving eyes for the last few days. She will go an entire day and not change position.

At night she seems to come to life. That's when she eats and we hear her making a little noise and using the litter box. My partner said she heard her scratching at the door. The other night we put Daisy away in her room and let Tygra have access to our apartment to explore. She took full advantage and at 2am we were woken up by her knocking about in the living room. She was on Daisy's cat tree and then she saw me peeking at her and slumped as though she was doing something wrong, crawled onto the window sill, jumped down and ran past me back to her room and up onto the window sill in there. So she does like to explore.

Yesterday my partner tried bringing Daisy into the room and played with her to show Tygra we mean no harm and also let her see her little sister. She didn't seem to care, and Daisy didn't even see her. We're sure Daisy knows there is another cat in there as we swap blankets out and let them smell each others scent every day, and she's been a little startled by the sounds of Tygra in the litter box before.

We don't want to rush in and force them to meet each other and have it end badly. We wanted to go for the 'slow reveal' method, but Tygra literally won't move while we're around, so it's hard to actually progress in the methods.

I know it's only been a few days and this can take weeks in some cases, but Tygra has not shown any increased interest in anything at all. I want to try and let her smell my hand, but I don't want to invade her space and give a bad impression. She stares at us when we're in there, but doesn't recoil as though she's scared. I'd say she almost looks grumpy and miserable which is understandable. She's shut away in her small room all day.

We also bought a cat diffuser, but we're yet to see that take effect.

So what I want to ask is;

What would you all advise in this situation? Should we just give it patience?
Should we try introducing the two cats when so far the signs say that they really don't care too much about one another?
Is there any tricks to getting a semi-feral cat to coming out?

Hopefully you'll know something that'll help.

I'll add a picture of our princesses. Lily, my partner's previous kitty who sadly passed away a year and a half ago. Daisy, our naughty 5-6 month old kitten, and Tygra, our new daughter.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! They are gorgeous cats!

Is there any tricks to getting a semi-feral cat to coming out?
Should we just give it patience?
Yes, more time :) She's interested in lots of things, just not so much in you. That may come with time.

She's coming out and exploring and having a good time while she's at it, and probably eventually that will happen whether you're in the vicinity or not. She is a long way ahead of many cats in her similar state of being, I promise :)

Try giving her some music - there's an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats . com that might help her, but in actuality, she doesn't sound super-overly stressed, just very wary of you humans. Keep talking to her, sitting on the floor, and don't look at her too much - eye contact can make a feral or semi feral cat nervous.

Are you feeding the same food as the foster did? I have read that feral cats will often eat kibble, so if you don't have any available you might want to add it (now and then) and see if that helps increase her appetite.

This might help with the feline introductions;

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They are all adorable!!! Given Tygra's background, you could be looking at MONTHS and MONTHS before real progress might happen. Does she have her own cat tree in her room? If not, I would put one there as well, just for her. I would also use all the same type food/treats that the fosters did - at least at first. Might not be a bad idea to ask the fosters for some toys and blankets/towels she was used to at their home.

Even though she is what you call semi-feral, cat introductions as well as getting her comfortable with you/your home, can be followed pretty much the same as those for domesticated cats - especially since she has had some exposure to this with her foster parents.

Here are some TCS articles in addition to the one Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you that you might want to look through to see if there are any ideas you haven't already tried in acclimating Tygra to you, your home, and then your cats. I would work on your relationship with her first. The more she is comfortable with you, the easier it should be to help her integrate with your other cats.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Time and patience are the key, especially with an older feral. (There is a feral sub-forum at TCS that might be helpful too.) 4 days is nothing.

Ferals take a long time to trust people. We are basically the enemy. And she was recently uprooted. You do have a couple of things going for you: Tyga was getting used to people and your other cat. Don't rush the introduction with the resident cat, but Daisy will help Tyga settle in.

We adopted a former feral, Barry, who spent six months at a pet shop adoption booth. He was so withdrawn, that even as a fuzzy 2 month old and through Christmas, he wasn't adopted. I spent hours sitting in a tiny bathroom with him, talking to myself, ignoring him, and just being there. It took 6-8 weeks to get him integrated with the other cat. It took months to get him comfortable with me so that he didn't run away when I approached. But there would be glimmers of a loving affectionate cat in him - but they would come and go. Now, after two years, he's still a little skittish and doesn't like company, but he is playful and affectionate to me. Its not perfect, he still runs away at times, but he doesn't go far now. But now its not unusual for me to be able to pet him for 5-10 minutes before he moves just out of arms reach.

Two years seems like a long time, but it was baby steps the whole way, so there was always a little progress.

Don't give up on your girl. After finding out about ferals and what to expect, I expected that the best I might get is a cat who will stay in the room with me, but I didn't settle for that - I kept working with him to have him feel more confident, and now he hops up on the bed and the couch with me. After he got on the couch with me (at just under 2 years with us!), I set the bar higher to "lap cat" for him.

And one warning about ferals: they might only attach themselves to one person. I get 90% of Barry's attention but my wife is making progress and now gets an occasional pet. Barry does follow her around the house, so he does like her.

This was Barry's first night with us
This happened once and didn't happen again for over a year
And this is Barry now - a relaxed confident boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!

We have been feeding her friskies (as much as we don't want to because the stuff in it is horrible), but that's what her previous owner fed her and she does eat it when she finds her food bowl.

I guess we're just being a tad impatient, not what we want to rush. We knew what we were in for, but it just makes us sad seeing her sad. Baby steps I guess.

The music idea is nice, I might try that.

Also I have read through those links suggested. I also saw that it was suggested introducing her to our other cat. I guess our question now is; is it too early to be introducing her Tygra to Daisy? Could Daisy be the key to helping Tygra settle if it's us that she's weary of?

Also, how would we do a 'slow reveal' as we don't have a screen door or gate we can use. Any improvised methods you'd suggest? :p

Thanks again!

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And Barry is adorable! That hiding is pretty much what Tygra is like at the moment!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, if you decide to begin introductions - do you have a long hallway, or maybe you could utilize two rooms with an open door, where you could start feeding them in sight of each other but far apart, and gradually move the dishes closer over time. You'll want to disappear so that you're not a distraction while they eat.

You'll be able to tell how things go, if tygra starts hiding more or not coming out at night (keep that in place if you can so that she can get some exercise, and can explore and play), then go back to just the scent swapping and don't rush the feeding-in-sight.

I think the grumpy and miserable look is because she realy hasn't decided that you're actually ok. That will come with time and calm patience on your parts, and actually, ignoring her. Focusing on her makes her concerned and nervous. Just go about your daily routines. --can you set up a camera for the feeding situation so that you can move away to another room?

Last edited:

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do have a long hallway, yes. Trouble is, Tygra doesn't seem to be active until the early hours of the morning, when we're asleep and it isn't feeding time. We've tried feeding them on either side of the door. Daisy can't wait to stuff her face, while Tygra's dish will remain untouched most the time. She won't travel to eat yet unless she is starving and stretching her legs, so getting them to eat at the same time seems impossible at the moment. I think the absence of noise from us is probably what's making her active.

We can't monitor them in person eating in sight of one another as Tygra refuses to move when we're there :\

We could leave Tygra's door open so she can explore, but Daisy would happily wonder in. She's nearly ran face to face with her new sister multiple times when I try and enter the room quietly, only for Daisy to barge in behind me and nearly run into Tygra's box fort where she's laying. We really aren't sure how they'd react to each other but so far they seem to be relatively okay knowing there's another cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We can't monitor them in person eating in sight of one another as Tygra refuses to move when we're there
This is why I suggested setting up a camera, and maybe you can do this a time or two early in the morning if possible, maybe on the weekends? Just to test the theory, or just leave it be until Tygra is more comfortable with you-all.

We could leave Tygra's door open so she can explore, but Daisy would happily wonder in.
I meant overnight some nights where Daisy is in her room and Tygra gets the run of the house :)

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess we could set up a camera. Would have to be our phones or something as we don't have anything else :')

Yeah I'd like to let her explore again. I hate putting Daisy away because she loves running around (she's a little git :p ) but she'll be fine.

So ultimately, at this point, do you think it would it be safe to start introducing them providing we're careful and regulate it enough? She'd probably take to Daisy better than us at the moment. Are they ready to actually see one another? :eek:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the fosters have a gate or two that you could borrow (two, one on top of the other especially if you plan to leave them up over night.) We did double baby gates with Barry and Duncan's intro because it allowed us to get out of the way for them to get to know each other.

It's not too early to give it a shot - just be prepared to cut it short if things don't work. If Daisy is still a kitten, the intro MIGHT go very quickly. Especially if Tyga is a "cat's cat"

When you let them get together the first time, be ready for a little skirmishing but try not to overreact to some exuberant wrestling and batting/boxing. Keep the initial interactions short - especially if you start to see either cat agitated. The first time we let Duncan and Barry see each other, I "covered" Barry while my wife had Duncan. We really had no idea what we were doing. It was a poor plan because we were otherwise unprepared if a fight started - we really would have needed something two wedge between them (foam board is often suggested, couch cushions could work).

marvelousmarty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I volunteer at a cat shelter where during the day all the cats are allowed to free roam and have also caught a family of 3 ferals (a mommy and 2 kittens that were about 3 months old at the time of capture).

The guy in my profile picture is Marty, one of the feral kittens. I've worked with him for 4 months now and I'd consider him semi-feral at this point. He behaves a lot like your cat does: he doesn't care much for other cats but isn't aggressive, he loves exploring, etc. The only difference is that Marty will recoil or run a few steps away if someone gets too close.

My advice is to just let Tygra out of her room completely. It doesn't sound like she's going to go out of her way to bother your other cat, and if your other cat really cared about Tygra being there, I'd assume she would go looking for her and "hunt her down" so-to-speak and pick a fight. Giving Tygra more "territory" to explore and call her own may give her more confidence, and might make her feel more secure since she can have more hiding places and space to herself.

As for getting Tygra to accept you and maybe physically interact, I'd recommend just sitting still on the floor (tip: sit with your back against the wall because this can take a while) and placing treats around you and in your lap. It took months for this to work for Marty, but it does work. He came to realize that I would no longer toss him treats across the room, and if he wanted them he'd have to approach me. He still wouldn't take cat treats out of my hand, so I moved to chicken and that's when he began to place his paws in my lap and touch me. I still can't pet him, but I'm sure I'll get there soon.

Anyways, yeah. Sorry for shoving my own story in here, but I thought some of the tricks I use might work for Tygra. Hopefully she's as food driven as Marty is.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I just wanted to share my semi-feral notes... and thank you for adopting her. :rock:
My mom has cats, a 4? 6? Month old hungry feral kitten shows up and starts getting fed. In time he learns to trust people a little, made the garage his home and the guy feeding him could scratch him behind the ears occassionaly. That went on for years. I moved in with my two boys and after the initial shock they became aquantiances. I insisted he get tested for fiv (he was a fighter) and get vaccinated since he came in the house and interacted with my cats. He got neutered (the fights mainly stopped) vaccinated and found out to FIV negative.
So I slowly build up my trust with him, found that he is easily over stimulated , to watch the tip of his tail very closely ... if it twitches you need to stop! I fed him, let him in and out of the house and slowly gained his trust. My break through came when I realized he was learning how to be a housecat from my boys!!! He became friends with my punk cat... and I thought it was kinda justice when Chester the semi-feral got a good bite in at my bully punk Dante, during their dominance squabbles. Over years he became more tame. He goes out less during the day as he got older .... and he has a neighborhood teen cat he is buds with. Also he largely avoids the indoor kittens.... I believe he views them as annoying.
I moved out and after a couple of months he is skittish with me but completely fine with my 6 month old boy he knows(and avoids along with the other 2 kittens.)

So I would take it slow. This is a process that will take years but you will get there. Let her have the run of the house at night and expect her to befriend your kitten before she befriends you. Until then you are the calm food giver, let her build up her trust for you over time. Routines are central to helping her learn to trust you. Then after she becomes friends with Daisy, Daisy can act as a bridge cat to ?Tygra? And learn to trust/like you through Daisy.
:hangin:

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we took the first steps forward. We opened the door to Tygra's room and sat down, taking Daisy's favourite toy with us (a long stick toy with feathers). We also took a bag of Daisy's favourite treats (freeze dried meat chunks).

She followed us into the room and started sniffing around and played with the toy a little. Tygra was sat in her box fort and just watched her playing.

Daisy walked over to Tygra's food dish right in front of the fort and started eating the food, right in full view of Tygra (about 1ft away) and walked away even though she likely looked right at her. We thought that surely she couldn't have seen her. There was no reaction.

Anyway, she returned to the fort and walked in where she eventually smelled Tygra, and started to sniff her before she realised 'hey, another cat!' and went 'full poof' and stood really tall, but she wasn't deterred. She continued to walk in and sniff her, still remaining all poofed up. We managed to get her to come out and eat some treats and play a little to make it a positive experience for her. She got curious again and went back to sniffing Tygra, who this whole time did nothing and just sat there and let Daisy approach. Daisy went full poofed again, but overall didn't seem too territorial, just shocked I think.

I'd say it's a good result, and now they are fully aware of one another.

We're going to let Tygra out again tonight and let her explore.

We also sampled the

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies, I'm not sure how to edit posts, and my previous one was posted prematurely.
We also sampled the 'cat calming music' on Daisy. My partner, being the skeptic that she is wasn't sure, but sure enough Daisy went from an annoying mess into a fully formed cat-loaf on our coach next to my partner. So maybe we'll try it on Tygra.

Thanks for all your replies. Shall let you know how it progresses!

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

So last night when I went to feed Tygra, I put her food bowl outside her box fort, and I put my hand in and under her nose for her to smell. She took a few sniffs and didn't react much, but eventually tucked in a little as though she was just a little uncomfortable. Better than swiping at me by any means.

We put Daisy away and let Tygra have free roam of the apartment. Shortly before heading to bed at midnight I heard one of the cats' squeaky mouse toys make a noise, and I knew that neither were with Daisy. I went into the office and found that Tygra had moved and was sat in the bottom of our cat tower (basically a big corner tower with multiple interior floors and holes to climb through). She likely just kicked the toy without realising on her way across.

I left her and went to bed. Sure enough at 1:59am I heard a loud crash and went to investigate. Turns out she had tried to jump onto the top of her box fort and it collapsed. Knowing she likes windowsills and wants to jump on stuff we're really considering getting another cat tree.

My partner woke up this morning at roughly 6am to find Tygra snuggled in one of Daisy's blanket boxes that I forgot to cover in the living room. We were weary that she'd find a place to hide and make it difficult to let Daisy back out, but I put a blanket over the box and carried her back into her room.

We both just think she's in a long stage of sulking, and we really can't blame her. We're thinking of letting the two cats meet again later.

Thanks!

AMBRIER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another report for the last day. It's been quite relieving, truth be told.

Last night when I came home from work we tried introducing the cats again. This time Tygra was on the bottom shelf of our bookcase in her room. We played with Daisy until she saw Tygra and she went to investigate. Initially she 'full poofed' again, but as we kept giving her treats she kept going back and each time she was more chill about it, to the point where she'd walk in and up to Tygra and be completely normal about it. So the cats are well introduced, even though Tygra seems to have no reaction at all, and Daisy likely hasn't even seen her move yet, but so far, so good.

Daisy started scent-marking and rubbing her face on the bookcase while looking in Tygra's direction, but you could tell it was in the more affectionate way that cats do. She then went inside and for a brief moment, sat 5 inches away from Tygra and seemed perfectly happy before getting bored and walking back out.

Last night we wanted to see if they could be around one another unsupervised. We blocked off the gap under our bed and opened all doors that'd allow Tygra full access. We left the bedroom door open (not something we usually do as Daisy finds us fun to attack in the night), but we wanted to be there in case she ran to us if she got scared. This means they could have interacted in the night while we were asleep.

Other than Daisy waking us up and what I could have sworn was Tygra using the scratching post in her room, it has been a peaceful night and neither cat seems too phased by one another, so we are comfortable with letting them have full access to one another over the weekend while my partner is home.

This morning we could not find Tygra anywhere. We looked in every gap. Turns out she is inside one of the narrow boxes that makes the roof of her box fort, high up and under her blanket. No idea how she got there!

The biggest thing now is getting Tygra out, and getting her to eat as she hasn't touched her food for a few days, but at least there is progress in some form!

Attachments

Last edited: