trouble with cats fighting

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have three cats - piglet is a 10 year old female, samantha is an almost 9 year old female, and jake is a 5 year old male suspected bengal mix.  all are rescues, all are spayed/neutered.  we used to be a 4 cat household - my oldest died 3/2012 at 16.  piglet and samantha fought at first but then started playing once in a while and grooming each other and snuggling together.  jake and taylor would play fight and occasionally cuddle with other cats, but they were both kind of 'loners'.  taylor was the oldest and obviously the head cat in charge.

once taylor died, jake started fighting with the other two.  he and piglet would fight sometimes (i assumed in an attempt to jockey for the head cat position) - it lasted on and off for a few months and seemed to subside.  they still fight once in a while but there aren't any injuries and i catch them playing sometimes, too - they'll chase each other around the apartment. it doesn't always end in fights.  

the issue is jake and samantha.  they fight all the time.  every single morning, if we don't wake up early enough for breakfast, jake seems to chase samantha under the bed, cornering her, and lots of smacking and hissing and spitting and growling happens.  even after they eat, jake will do that again.  when samantha is snuggled on one of the many cat beds in the house, if jake walks too near her, she'll start growling and that seems to gain jake's interest and a fight often ensues.  it is a daily thing, usually multiple times a day.  i have plenty of beds, hiding spaces, taller perches, windows that cats can fit in.  i have at least two of everything so there is no reason for anyone to fight over anything.

we have tried numerous things with jake.  we have exercised him at least twice a day for 10-15 minutes each time, until he is breathing hard and seems unwilling to get up again.  we run him up and down the hallway and use a laser pointer, or a toy on a string to get him jumping.  the fights continued.  we tried calming treats, using as directed on the bag.  no change. we tried a homeopathic thing like rescue remedy for cats.  no change.  we tried feliway diffusers - no change.  does anyone have any other options besides medication?  the cats go to the vet yearly and have no medical conditions that should contribute to this kind of behavior.  as far as we can tell, our next step is to ask the vet for medication like prozac.  any help would be appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we haven't.  we live in a smallish two-bedroom apartment; we used to have a 4 bedroom house so it was quite a downsize. that's why i try to make sure i have lots of hiding places and beds in different rooms.  i don't know how that would work with the limited space and three cats.  what would you recommend?

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so keeping the cats separated for more than a couple of hours is proving very difficult.  jake yowls very, very loud and gets destructive when we close him in a room.  we rent and cannot have him destroying the door jambs.  he's lived with these cats since we adopted him at approximate age 4 months.  we were told he was feral and taken off the streets.  jake was easy to integrate into our exiting three-cat house; there was some limited fighting between samantha and jake, but jake bonded with our oldest male at the time.  they would play and roughhouse regularly.

once our oldest died, there was some reshuffling.  piglet, our oldest female, and jake started fighting but it was pretty obvious no one was getting hurt and it seemed to be mostly posturing.  that settled down after a few weeks and everyone seemed okay.  we still had some fighting between jake and samantha or jake and piglet, but nothing serious.  then we moved to the apartment we're in now.  we were here for over a year before the fights between jake and samantha progressed, and it was quick.  we thought they were just fighting to wake us up to feed them - jake would chase samantha under our bed and they'd fight - but it kept progressing.  jake and piglet still fight, but it's much less often, much less intense, and they also engage in play - they chase each other around the apartment, taking turns as the 'chaser'; it's really cute.  as i said, we tried exercise (i still exercise him daily), we tried homeopathic additives, we tried calming treats, we tried feliway diffusers.

now my husband wants to get a fourth cat.  he thinks if we get either a kitten who will play with jake or an adult cat who is very playful, this new cat will team up with jake and they'll play/play fight.  he thinks that jake will leave samantha alone and our problems will be solved.  i worry that if we get a kitten, jake will teach it to be as much of an a***hat as he is now and we'll have TWO assertive-bordering-on-aggressive cats.  anyone have any ideas on this?

tabbicat2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend bringing a 4th cat in while there are still issues with your current cats. I noticed you mentioned a few times that you play with Jake to tire him out, but are you including the other cats as well? Particularly Samantha, who he seems to have issues with? Is it possible for you and your husband to set aside time daily to play with them separately, but close enough that they are aware of each other? The goal would be to eventually get them playing together or at least in close quarters.

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yup, we play with samantha too.  and they play near each other when we're playing with them - they'll both chase the same toys or the same laser light.  they won't play with EACH OTHER, but you know.  i've seen samantha groom him before, they've slept very close to each other, everything was okay.  we lost our oldest cat in march 2012 and they were still okay with each other... we moved in may 2013 and they were still okay with each other...  we can't figure out what triggered it.  we have an appointment with a new vet next week and are probably going to talk about medication.