Tripod's Adventures

mieshasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i just found out you found tripod and i am so happy!!!!!!  that picture you took of him after he was home looks like he was smiling!  a very content little boy!!!  how do i get to your facebook page, it has changed so much since last i was on i can't figure it out now. but i am truly...truly  happy he is home with you!  and i agree with everyone else, you and your husband are truly incredible animal people!!!!!!!i wish the world had more like you.....it would surely be a better place!   warm thoughts your way......cathy  (mieshasmom)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  His facebook page is called Tripod's Many Adventures   I think that fits him about right. Til the next installment ... night guys ..
SO happy to hear the vet visit went well. My goodness, Tri certainly is one lucky little man and SO adorable and loveable. :heart3: OH..... :lol3: Let's just pray that all of his adventures from this day forward are indoor only!!!!!!!!! :cross: :D :winkblue: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes ... Tripod got grounded as soon as we got him home. He can no longer have fresh air ... he'll have to settle for the indoor air that the girls get. His facebook page is Tripod's Many Adventures ... everyone is welcome ... I have pictures on there of the woods where he was lost & the spot that the hubby found him at. And I will put his sisters stories on there too eventually. Someone asked for more details of his "rescue". We had arrived at the woods where he was last seen at 1:40 in the morning. The hubby got out of the car & headed into the woods to check the live trap we had set the night before. He said he was going to do a run through of where Tripod was last seen. It was drizzling at this time. So I stayed back at the car & started to unload my blankets & his toys, food etc. All that I would need to sit there til we had him back. It was raining, & it was REALLY WINDY that night too. You couldn't hear anything but the trees bending. Being pitch black out, I couldn't see or hear anything in front of me. But as soon as I turned around to pick up my 1st load to the woods, there was the hubby standing right behind me. I didn't see or hear him walk up. But I heard him say "Hi Honey." And that's all he said. I asked him if he saw Tripod. And he said "Look". I looked & it was is that Tripod? Are you sure it's Tripod? Are you sure? I was beside myself. The Hubby had Tripod snuggled in his coat. I did see a smile on both of their faces though. I sat in the car holding Tripod & hugging him. And looking at him. I looked at the clock it was 2 AM. He was back. And he was in good shape too. The hubby put everything back in the trunk & car. Then he got in. And I bombarded him with all the questions. The hubby said he went back to check the live trap, it was empty. Then he went back to move the live trap to where he saw Tripod the last time. And that's when he saw Tripod's eyes with his flashlight. So he was quiet, & took his time, & walked right up to Tripod. He had the flashlight in his eyes the whole time so Tripod didn't realize that his daddy was that close to him. But hubby did grab his leash & that's when Tripod got scared. He said Tripod started howling, but as soon as he picked him up & put him in his coat, that's when Tripod realized it was his daddy who had him. And he quit howling. Then the hubby started purring. And so the hubby headed back to the car. I didn't hear a thing. Tripod had a couple burrs on his neck that looked like he just got them. They weren't embedded in or anything. I got those out right away. He was still wearing his leash & harness. And they were both still clean. So I'm thinking Tripod found a place to hole up until we came back that night. I didn't think of all the running that we were doing to go back & forth to look for Tripod. And I sat in those woods Saturday & Sunday all day. Monday I sat there until the afternoon. And when I left there on Monday I told the hubby about the next plan to come back in the middle of the night. He was all for it. And that's when we got him back safe & sound too. Driving 80 miles round trip every day, & all the driving around town constantly for those days wasn't a waste. I called the police dept Friday afternoon after I called the Home Again company. I told the police dept what happened, & that I was looking for Tripod. And within 15 minutes there was patrols on the highway looking for Tripod. And they even went around the neighborhoods when I was to help look. Yesterday I took Tripod back to the woods with me. But we did not get out of carrier or the car this time. I had to stop back to talk to the hubby about the vet visit. Tripod was so scared at the smells there that he actually shook the carrier. So definately he will not be outside again. When I took him to the vet, this time I tied the leash to the carrier's handle so there was no way for him to get loose. And he was safe. The vet said he wasn't dehydrated, his stump is a little worse for wear, but otherwise Tripod did very well considering he was MIA for 84 hours. Now today Tripod is sleeping right next to us. But for the next few weeks or so, we will be holding Tripod with a blanket to snuggle. A trick the vet told me for his PTSD. Tripod has one more shot to get the middle of April for FeLeuk. Then he will be good for a year. I want to thank everyone for all your suggestions, ideas, & support. And yes even the occasional chewing (which is good for me when I get stressed). Without you guys, I know we would not have thought of half the things that we ended up doing for Tripod's rescue. I will even put on his facebook what tips we used & what worked. I can't thank you guys enough ... Tripod is home again ... & one happy little boy again   

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in tears here, absolute tears.  I feel your story so deeply cause Tri is so identical to my Sadie.

I am still guffawed at what an amazing story this is!  Your and your DH and all of the people who helped find him are amazing people.

Ohhh I can just feel Tri's heart melt when he realized that he was in his daddy's arms and to see your face light up and your heart seize

when you saw Tri in DH's arms.

Ohmygosh.

I looked at your facebook page, and cannot believe the woods where he got lost.  I could't even imagine where to begin to start

looking for him.  He knew, he just KNEW that his mom and pop would come for him - AND YOU DID!!!!

khomaha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an incredible story! So glad to read such positive updates.  About your door issues - I've been told once a feral or a stray have made a successful transition inside, having been on both sides of the door, it's no question which side they prefer. So, maybe Tripod is getting as far away from the door because he doesn't want anyone to accidentally (and in his prior life, maybe on purpose) put him out.  Best wishes to your whole family, you all definitely get extra stars on your crown in heaven for all that you're doing for the critters that cross your path.

Kelley

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I caught a glimpse of him running through the woods today ... made me happy to see that he is still there & not hurt. And the other good news is that he is without his harness & leash. Harder for us to catch him but safer for him on the run. 

WOW you say he had his leash and harness on when DH caught him last night..... because in an earlier post you said you saw him in the woods running about "without" the leash and harness on?? WOW that is really amazing that for over two days he didn't get caught up anywhere in the woods. That is truly a miracle. I am just glad he is safe at home now. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I caught a glimpse of him running through the woods today ... made me happy to see that he is still there & not hurt. And the other good news is that he is without his harness & leash. Harder for us to catch him but safer for him on the run. 
We were all so happy to hear that he got out of the leash/harness....

He was still wearing his leash & harness. And they were both still clean.

WOW you say he had his leash and harness ON when DH caught him the other night..... because in an earlier post you said you saw him in the woods running about "without" the leash and harness on?? WOW that is really amazing that for over two days he didn't get caught up anywhere in the woods. That is truly a miracle. I am just glad he is safe at home now. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Tripod is HOME! I actually knew this, because Feralvr knew I was really worried. But I was sick yesterday and never logged on to the computer. I saw news via my phone, and it totally made my day! :clap: :clap: :clap:

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The leash ... I know. I feel like I was lying when I said I saw his leash, I guess it should have said I thought I saw his leash. 
 Forgive me please ... I'm sorry. The Hubby is going to help me proof read from now on.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catching up on all this amazing story. You must be soooo relieved. Tripod is a great cat and you are great people.

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have spent all day today with Tripod. I have been watching him today closely. He did lose some weight. He was eating everything in sight yesterday, but today he has slowed down on woofing ~sorry for the pun~ down his food. I think today Tripod was actually savoring & enjoying his food. He has beeb sleeping inside the cat tv instead of going back to the bed for his naps. I don't think he wants to be alone quite yet. Last night I woke up a few times because he was playing with those imaginary mice again. So Tripod is getting comfy again.
 I have been spending time today trying to get Tripod's facebook page going. I think it's ok now. If you guys want to add anything to it, feel free. I thought that since Tripod went MIA for 84 hours, & all the things that we tried & did etc.to get him back ~ I thought I would have alot of info about lost pets & how to find them, microchipping, & anything else that I can think of on his page. What do you think guys? Tripod is doing very well today. He has been cleaning his stump alot today. I did check it over again, & it is in pretty good shape. There is a good size scab on it, but I think Tripod is taking care of it fine. The vet said not to worry about it. I did see a few new hairs regrowing in too. It's been raining all day here. So we all have been doing that rainy day thing here. Lazing around curled up ... purring, headbonks & such. Tripod has been wrapped up in his blanket most of today too. I really think he is thankful to be inside out of the rain. I soooo wish he could talk.The blanket thing the vet was talking about with Tripod seems to be helping him alot too. He's not so scared when someone knocks at the door anymore. 
Baby steps & patience ... I will write more later. I have to go feed my latest rescue. A mama & 9 babies. All are doing great. Tripod is actually guarding the room so his sisters don't go in there right now. I posted this pic on Tripod's facebook, but I think it says everything. It was taken the same night we got him back. One of Tripod's ways of saying thanks I think.  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWW I am happy to hear that Tripod is doing so well again. :woohoo: He is so loved by you and your DH :heart3: It makes me happy to know that he has such a great home because I think he is a very special kitty :heart2: I love that photo too, it looks like he is grinning from ear to ear and is happy with his life and new home. He just looks so proud :clap::clap::clap::clap:

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone 
  Alot has gone on since Tripod's return. We have been using the blanket on him quite a bit for his issues with the door. My brain would have never come up with blanket snuggling to help Tripod with his PTSD. It seems to be working though, cuz' I just found him laying in front of the door 
   A MAJOR breakthrough I would say. We are soooo happy about this. 

Tripod is still there too. Don't look at the mess please.  Belly up is one of his favorite postitions lately. His stump is on the mend still. So when we go to the vet next week, I will ask him about that. Because I would've thought that Tripod's stump would be healed by now. We have a really good vet who is there for the animals. Tripod has been doing great since his return. He is now our added alarm clock in the morning.Tripod is on the floor by the bed before the sun comes up meowing at the hubby to get up. He is VERY VOCAL 
 Then he's back in to get me up. Only when he gets me up, Tripod is up on the bed in my face. And he still has bad breath. I brush his teeth often but it doesn't seem to help. I wonder if they have gum for cats.
  There are still hissy fits with all 4, but they are getting better. Calie has started to leave some of her breakfast for Tripod. Calie & Tripod have started to race up & down the hallways now. He sucks his breakfast down so fast I don't think he can taste it. 
  And he licks his bowl shiny clean. Then he sits & waits til the other 3 are done. When they are, he gets in there & licks their plates shiny clean too.
   I started to feed Tripod can food on a plate. But I did have to switch to a bowl. He ate so fast he would lick the food right off the plate to the floor. Now with a bowl, at least he can kind of keep track of the food. Baby steps. Sooooo ... everything is going pretty good with Tripod. He doesn't have any itch to go outside anymore. I am happy to report his wandering days are over. With the poundage he is packing lately, I don't think he would get too far anyway. He is one happy cat now.  

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh what a nice kitty!!!!  He is soooo sweet:)

Your foster mama has 9 babies?  O M G ! 

Tripods stories are so wonderful.  Please keep posting :)

Do you give your cats fresh grass?  My cats love it, it helps with digestion and maybe it freshens breath?

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep ... 9 babies ... & they are all very healthy & extremely plump. The momma is doing a great job! And the momma is healthy too. She isn't even close to the waify nursing momma look. I am trying to get a picture of the family that isn't so fuzzy. It's hard to get all 9 to hold still at one time for a pic. 
  But will keep trying ...

I do grow cat grass for these guys ... they all love it. I have a hard time keeping it in stock though cuz' they eat the one batch before I can get the 2nd batch going. But yes they love the cat grass. It doesn't seem to help with Tripod's breath though. Today Tripod is lounging on the floor here by me. He didn't even move when the hubby was in & out the door a few times. He's still down there sleeping. The only thing that is disturbing Tripod right now is his sister Bubber's snoring. I don't want to jinx it for him, but we are hoping that his fear of the door is a thing of the past now. Tuesday is a trip to the vet for him. And over to do some visiting. But he will be in his carrier for the duration. I am curious to see what he weighs now. He gained when we first got him, then lost after he was MIA, & now has gained again. Tuesday I will see what the scale reveals. Thanks guys & I will keep updating.   

caliesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys
    Tripod's trip to the vet went very well. Everyone at the clinic was excited to see him. There was even a shadow helper with the techs to watch. They timed that pretty good since we brought Bubbers in to get microchipped at the same time. But Tripod is very healthy, had gained 1/2 pound since his return, & is now all updated on his shots. He doesn't have to go back in til next April for his well check, etc. Unless he gets sick or something. So Tripod was talking to the techs
 in the exam room. He was even talking to the shadow helper too. And they all said it was like he was telling us what he saw when he was MIA. And when they were looking at his stump, Tripod was talking then too. He was telling us how he lost his foot I think. Too bad we couldn't understand him. All is well ... Tripod & Calie play now. They are racing up & down the hallway all the time. Except for the other night when Tripod found a spot in the bathroom that needed his attention. Under the sink he was playing with the pipes. And everytime he would bat at the pipes, it would echo. This is funny the first few times. Hubby had to get up so many times we lost count.  And everytime he got in the bathroom, Tripod looked at him like  
  So Tripod is doing well ... looking for more stuff to get into. Being 1 1/2 years, he is still just a teen. And a boy too. So I am waiting for him to tear something apart & try to put it back together. Like his toy mice ... he tears them in half right now.
 I'm glad they are just toy mice & not the real thing.  Til next time, Tripod's Many Adventures continue ...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWW SO VERY HAPPY :D!!! Great update and sounds like Tripod is doing extremely well and has adjusted perfectly!!! :clap::clap::clap: He sure is a lucky boy to have such loving parents :heart2: :D