Tripod Cat Problem

Erjunior09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

So months ago me and my girlfriend adopted the sweetest cat I've ever met. He has 3 legs and no sense of anger.

The only problem we face is the cat will not constantly poop in the litter box. Pee is not a problem.

We have tried multiple liters, multiple amount of liter (cat prefers less it seems), I've built a ramp for easy access, and we will clean it daily, and yet the cat will only sometimes use it. If he doesnt, he poops right beside it. Is there anything else we could try? Or has anyone faced a similar problem?

Thank you

Cat tax attached.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erjunior09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! What a sweetheart!
Can you find a litterbox with low sides or with at least one side really low and try that?
I bought the shortest one I could find and built a ramp when it didnt help, and that didn't help.
Someone mentioned that maybe he doesnt like peeing and pooping in the same place. Does anything think that could be it?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: Glad you came here for advice and support. Thank you for adopting a special needs cat. He looks so happy and content. :hearthrob: A letterbox with low sides as the above member suggested is a great idea. :thumbsup:
Here is an Article about different types of litterboxes although I know they don't all pertain to your specific situation. However, maybe the disposable box would be easy to cut and you could try it: How To Choose The Right Litterbox
Also another thread from a member who has a 3 legged cat that I thought you would appreciate reading: Adopting 3 legged cat.... Name Suggestions!

Best of luck, please keep us updated on your progress. BTW, what is your boy's name?

ETA: Just saw your other post and, yes, definitely try more than one box.

Erjunior09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: Glad you came here for advice and support. Thank you for adopting a special needs cat. He looks so happy and content. :hearthrob: A letterbox with low sides as the above member suggested is a great idea. :thumbsup:
Here is an Article about different types of litterboxes although I know they don't all pertain to your specific situation. However, maybe the disposable box would be easy to cut and you could try it: How To Choose The Right Litterbox
Also another thread from a member who has a 3 legged cat that I thought you would appreciate reading: Adopting 3 legged cat.... Name Suggestions!

Best of luck, please keep us updated on your progress. BTW, what is your boy's name?
His name is Murphy, cant believe I forgot to add that originally but it was 5am so that's my excuseee

Erjunior09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:lovecat4:
Try the lower sided pan :)
If that doesn't help, try puppy pee pads for the times your kitty doesn't feel ok about getting into the box

Erjunior09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heres my plan at the moment

Add an extra litterbox (does it matter if it's near the other one? Or is distance a good thing?)

If the added litterbox doesnt help, I'm going to dremel one to be even shorter and possible add a lip to retain litter and see if that helps.

Thank you all for your help. Myself and Murphy greatly appreciate it.

Extra picture as payment.
He absolutely loves being under blankets.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought maybe he has a little trouble balancing for pooping since it usually takes a little longer and, perhaps more effort than peeing? You might consider putting a small bar or block in the litter box itself for him to lean against. I'd put it in the middle of the low sided box.

I looked and may have missed it, but yes, some like separate boxes for peeing and pooping.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe there is a less bad option in cutting out the front side of the box to have a 3 sided tray? You wouldn't even need to cut out the whole front side of the tray, just a cat sized opening. You would need obviously a big pad underneath and there would be at least daily sweeping, but it might still be an improvement if the cat is peeing and pooping in the 3 sided tray. A small improvement perhaps, but better than nothing?

Just trying to think outside the box...

luciferthepirate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is old, but... It might even be a tripod thing. It could be the size.

I also have a tripod and didn't have any issues with him going outside his box until I tossed his old one. I was shocked to find poop on the floor and thought he didn't like the litter because I was trying out different ones at the time. The new box was an XL and the biggest rectangle that was in the store, but it did seem kinda smaller than the old box. After tossing a couple litters, going back to his old, and still finding poop both in and around his box, I came across something online that said the box needs to be a certain size (something like 1.5x the length of the cat). He's an average sized cat, but I got the biggest litter box I could find on Amazon and he was pooping in it immediately.

Wish I could say he never pooped outside the box again, but he also does it occasionally if I don't clean it fast enough. I try to do it once every 24 hours, but sometimes it's more like once a day, and he doesn't like that

Hope your problem has long been resolved!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got the biggest litter box I could find on Amazon and he was pooping in it immediately.
Good for you!! - you could possibly get a second one, that might help for those times you can't get to it quickly enough. (You'll be able to edit after a week of being a member and 20, maybe 25 posts - I forget the quantity. The option will be available in the lower left hand corner of your posts. )

luciferthepirate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good for you!! - you could possibly get a second one, that might help for those times you can't get to it quickly enough. (You'll be able to edit after a week of being a member and 20, maybe 25 posts - I forget the quantity. The option will be available in the lower left hand corner of your posts. )
Oh, I've learned my lesson. It only happens once in a blue moon now Part of it was me not knowing the reason and taking forever to learn And thanks for the edit info!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

So months ago me and my girlfriend adopted the sweetest cat I've ever met. He has 3 legs and no sense of anger.

The only problem we face is the cat will not constantly poop in the litter box. Pee is not a problem.

We have tried multiple liters, multiple amount of liter (cat prefers less it seems), I've built a ramp for easy access, and we will clean it daily, and yet the cat will only sometimes use it. If he doesnt, he poops right beside it. Is there anything else we could try? Or has anyone faced a similar problem?

Thank you

Cat tax attached.
Adorable kitty:):wave3::heartshape: