Trinity and maple

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone on my cats and how there going and say thank you for some of the advice I have received, so my cats got there first haircut 2 weeks ago they were upset with getting it done, but they are fine now and I'm loving it, I'm not esactly sure how they feel but they don't seem to mind so I'm now going to get them shaved at the beginning of summer and only let there hair grow back in winter or as it gets colder, I'm not very good with spending lots of time with the cats and the last week they have been really clingy but it's ok it's cute except when I wake up in the morning and can't move cause there on either side of me squished upto me I love them though, there also now on a healthy diet and get wet food most night that contains no cereals or by products and very little other stuff besides meat (fancy feast, and gourmet).There biscuits I try to feed them fancy feast as it's in my price range an only biscuits where the first ingredient isn't cereals I do sometimes still buy whiskas as it cheaper, I still struggle with a few behaviours that I wouldn't mind advice on, biggest thing is my cats urinating in the bathroom on clothes and towels idk how to stop it and I don't know which cat I try to just lock them out of the bathroom, I also have a problem with maple biting me when I pay her sometimes thank yous for all your advice and I'm so happy to have found a place where I can talk about cats non stop and nobody gets annoyed

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
hi catmum22.. I've just noticed that you haven't had any replies and you have questions you would like answered.  I'm going to move this over into the lounge where more people will see it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maple's biting during play could be due to over stimulation. Just reduce the time play and immediately stop when she starts the aggression. In the matter of urinating in the bathroom, better have them checked by their veterinarian. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Maple's biting during play could be due to over stimulation. Just reduce the time play and immediately stop when she starts the aggression. In the matter of urinating in the bathroom, better have them checked by their veterinarian. 
I agree with yayi here. Biting during play is often a sign of overstimulation. You can help this by increasing their play sessions with wands toys to help run their energy out (and to keep your hands safe). I would also try next time she is sitting with you to do a petting test- start petting her slowly all over her body, keeping an eye on her body language (especially her ears and tail). She may be signaling to you that she doesn't like to be pet in certain areas, and in the future you can avoid them. 

As for the urinating in the bathroom- I agree the first step is to have them both evaluated by a vet to make sure there isn't something more serious going on (like an infection or crystals). In the meantime, I would just keep the bathroom door closed. If there is no medical reason then it is behavioral and we can address that then. But first have them checked. It's better to be safe than sorry! 

So glad to hear you have gotten good advice in the past and I hope this helps as well! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How many cat litters do you have?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Our cat Rico has a habit of play biting.  It was mainly my hubby inadvertently encouraging that behavior by playing with his hands.  So we got a wand toy and hubby plays with that with Rico and is trying to get out of the habit of using hands to play with the cat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My boy used to play bite a lot because he loved playing and had too much energy.  I had to make sure I played with him often enough so when he did play he didn't get too excited like other people talk about.  It also helped playing with things like the feather wands and fishing rod toys so my hands were at a good distance.  If you don't have a lot of toys then string and ribbon work well too, but like anything with long cord you mustn't leave them out incase your cats get tangled up in them or eat them.

Sometimes cats can get confused when humans move quickly as well, like if you put your hand out to stroke, get a bit of a fright and take your hand away quickly - they think you are playing or are going to be aggressive with them and will bite or paw at you.  it is best to stay still and calm and avoid fast or jerky hand movements when close to your cats.  The same is true if they do bite or scratch you as if you pull away they think you are playing or going to be aggressive and will continue the behaviour.  For them to stop it is better to stay very calm and still, push your hand or part they are holding or biting in lightly towards them and then stay very still and quiet until your cats lets you go.  If you do say anything it should be a firm but not shouted ouch or ow.

@EB24   gives good advice about getting to know your cats' body language as well. The best thing you can do is know when something is going to happen and change what you are doing so you can avoid it.

The more you can play with your cats, and get to know them, the less likely you will be to find they bite.  This attention also helps with bonding and helps cats to feel safe with you and this might help with the urinating on clothes and towels.  It is important for a vet to check them as others have said, but if no health issue, sometimes cats urinate on soft fabrics because it is more comforting and it might be a way of expressing their anxiety.  Also think about the type of litter you use with them and whether there are enough trays and litter they are happy to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies they have 3 cat litter trays, and the urinating has stopped I just keep my bathroom door closed and there only allowed in my room when I'm in there. It hasn't happened since me doing this unless I forget to shut the bathroom door and there's a towel on the floor, I will pay more attention when patting maple, otherwise things are good except when I have to lock them out of my room at 5am cause they choose it's time to play chasey all through the house, but that's ok

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And they have plenty of toys but I do have to try encourage my partner to not let the cats play with his hands an my biggest problem some nights is because I'm really fidgety they sometimes attack my feet when I'm trying to sleep, I know they just want to play an will have to try tire them out during the day but my cats are very much we will play when we want to not when mum wants to

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
it is nice to hear things are going better.  I get fidgetty feet sometimes too and it is not the best thing when  you have a young cat! 
     Giving them a really good run about play before bed time, then snack supper, then lights out works well for a lot of members here on TCS. I hope things continue to go well. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
otherwise things are good except when I have to lock them out of my room at 5am cause they choose it's time to play chasey all through the house, but that's ok
 If you figure out the solution to this particular issue please let us know- there are at least a thousand other users equally plagued with this problem! I swear it doesn't matter how much I play with them or settle them in for the night- when 5:00 rolls around they are just programmed to annoy each other and me by extension! I guess there are some things we can control and others we can't...... 

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies they have 3 cat litter trays, and the urinating has stopped I just keep my bathroom door closed and there only allowed in my room when I'm in there. It hasn't happened since me doing this unless I forget to shut the bathroom door and there's a towel on the floor, 
I forgot I had also wanted to comment on this aspect as well. It's great that the inappropriate elimination has stopped, and it does sound like they were just "comfort" peeing in that one spot. However, if you see them peeing anywhere else other than their boxes make sure you do have them both evaluated by a vet just to be sure there isn't something more serious going on. 

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
otherwise things are good except when I have to lock them out of my room at 5am cause they choose it's time to play chasey all through the house, but that's ok
 If you figure out the solution to this particular issue please let us know- there are at least a thousand other users equally plagued with this problem! I swear it doesn't matter how much I play with them or settle them in for the night- when 5:00 rolls around they are just programmed to annoy each other and me by extension! I guess there are some things we can control and others we can't...... 

cat's are nocturnal creatures, in my experience moreso both when they are young and very old. I guess this is something ALL potential "mistresses and masters" should be aware of. in my case, I got a night job and played with my cat before I WENT to sleep at 6am. and for her whole life I knew she would be sleeping from noon til 3pm. she was Mexican.

Last edited:

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yer I will if it happens again hopefully by just keeping them out of my room and bathroom when I'm not there

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I just have to be grateful it's not every night I have 5 am wake ups but attempting to play with them before bed is hard cause my 2 cats are so different in how they like to play maple active and hyper so the wand, bouncy ball works well and trinity is a scaredy cat and still trying how best to tire her out

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

cat's are nocturnal creatures, in my experience moreso both when they are young and very old. I guess this is something ALL potential "mistresses and masters" should be aware of. in my case, I got a night job and played with my cat before I WENT to sleep at 6am. and for her whole life I knew she would be sleeping from noon til 3pm. she was Mexican.
 Switching to the nightshift is some serious dedication to your cat's nocturnal instincts!! 

Well I just have to be grateful it's not every night I have 5 am wake ups but attempting to play with them before bed is hard cause my 2 cats are so different in how they like to play maple active and hyper so the wand, bouncy ball works well and trinity is a scaredy cat and still trying how best to tire her out
Agreed. It just always seems to be on nights before I have something big going on the next day and seriously need my sleep! 

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep and it sucks I love when my cats sleep in my room but last night before sleep it was there playtime I tried shutting maple out of my room for abit hoping she would calm down and I could let her back in without chasing trinity didn't work so they both got kicked out cause I had volunteering today, but I'm sure I dislike them being kicked out as much as I do, love waking up to my cats ready for pats and breakfast