Trimming The Claws (for Long-haired Kitten)

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

So our kitten is now over 6 months old and trimming his claws seems to be getting more challenging!

When he was younger, I would trim his claws 1x a week (front and back) while he was sleeping. It was great because he would be passed out on the bed or couch! NOW, he chooses to sleep underneath the bed/couch, making it hard to reach him- and on the rare occasion he sleeps above ground, he is awake within an instant when I try the trim and moves away.

So what's the strategy here? I read somewhere that I should slowly get him used to the trimming while awake. But he only likes to be on my lap for about 3 seconds before he wants off! One article I read suggested squeezing a paw for 5 seconds, then follow with a treat. So far this is working well, but the next step - back on the lap- is hard!

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the video, but sadly we continue to struggle.

I feel like we've tried everything with no success. The burrito technique failed. He leapt out as soon as he felt entrapment. I tried sitting over him, with knees gently either side of him. That didn't work either. Over the last 2 weeks, the squeeze-paw-and-reward method has been OK, but some days he doesn't care for the treats. We need treats that he REALLY BADLY wants in order for it to work properly. And even when I do have paw-holding success, progressing to the next stage (protracting claws) is a no-go. He runs away. What's even worse now is he fears my attempts to pick him up and bolts for the nearest "under" - usually the sofa or bed.
I'm begging for help at this point as soon the claws will be too long. As much as a vet would be the easy way out, I don't want to make it a habit.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she is only 6 months...dont cut her claws. massage her paws everyday..in a year she ll let you touch her paws and cut the claws no problems. Kittens need their nails...

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe use a good scratching post with a file board. Get some cat nip spray and encourage the use of it and she will naturally file her own nails down without you ever having to do anything. It'll be relaxing for her rather than a stressful ordeal all the way around.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Working up to it with her slowly is great. You might try just trimming one or two at a time to start and slowly getting her used to a bit more. Most of the time I have someone help me clip cat nails. Going fairly quickly and just taking the very tip off each claw without getting close to the quick is what seems to work best.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugg. This is a HUGE struggle in our house right now too. I adopted my cat as a kitten and she is now 9.5 years old. I used to be so good about routinely clipping her nails so she was use to it from a young age and I could do all 4 paws at once...
Well... life got a bit hectic and I got behind on her usual clipping routine and now she resists. I have been trying to slowly work back up to it like suggested here... just getting her accustomed to having her paws handled again and giving treats but it's a work in progress. She is ok with me petting her paws but as soon as I try to extend a nail, she yanks it away.

I have no problem being patient and working up to it as long as her nails aren't too bad but I'm kind of worried about her dewclaws because they tend to curl back and I don't want them going into her pad. I've been keeping an eye on them and I guess will resort to having the vet do it if necessary. :ohwell:

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugg. This is a HUGE struggle in our house right now too. I adopted my cat as a kitten and she is now 9.5 years old. I used to be so good about routinely clipping her nails so she was use to it from a young age and I could do all 4 paws at once...
Well... life got a bit hectic and I got behind on her usual clipping routine and now she resists. I have been trying to slowly work back up to it like suggested here... just getting her accustomed to having her paws handled again and giving treats but it's a work in progress. She is ok with me petting her paws but as soon as I try to extend a nail, she yanks it away.

I have no problem being patient and working up to it as long as her nails aren't too bad but I'm kind of worried about her dewclaws because they tend to curl back and I don't want them going into her pad. I've been keeping an eye on them and I guess will resort to having the vet do it if necessary. :ohwell:
I just wanted to come back and update this in case it helps the original poster or anyone else. My kitty's dewclaws were curling back more than I was comfortable with so I ended up calling the vet but instead of just taking her in, I asked them for tips/about the methods they use with uncooperative kitties. They mentioned using a calming/pheromone spray on a towel and then doing the kitty burrito. I went to Petsmart and bought some calming spray by Nature's Miracle. It worked well for us! I was able to get my kitty all wrapped up in the burrito without a single fuss. She didn't even squirm. I clipped the dewclaws, gave her some treats and sent her on her way! SO easy! I am starting slow so I will go back at a later time and burrito again to get a few more nails. I'm hoping once we get into a routine again I won't need to burrito her but for now, this works for both of us.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great!! I think claw clipping and teeth brushing are the 2 most daunting cat care tasks. It's always helpful to hear what worked for other people! :agree: