Trimming fuzzy feet?

zendora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 'Dora has always had hilariously furry toes. Tufts of fur totally encompass her pads and I think its absolutely adorable.

Thing is, I just got my carpet cleaned and am starting to really notice just how much litter she alone tracks into my living room. Z doesn't track nearly as much litter (no, she just throws half of it over the side of the box when she frantically buries her business for no less than five full minutes).

Would I be crazy to want to maybe trim that fur a bit and see if there is an improvement? I'd be terrified to snip her pad accidentally, don't know if I could cause razor burn with a trimmer, and a groomer would be out of the question unless I rendered her unconscious beforehand!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should be fine, just be careful! If you think your cat will tolerate them, you could buy one of the little narrow type pet clippers that are meant for small areas like the paws and face. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/4xpmewt

My Maine Coon has huge tufts of fur under her feet. We never clipped it because she was showing and they're part of the breed standard but I've considered it since she's not showing anymore. Although she doesn't get litter stuck (we use Breeze boxes) she does tend to slip on hard floors especially when playing. If I was going to do it I'd use blunt-ended scissors but I am used to clipping around paws from my previous dog, if you're not comfortable maybe you can ask the vet or a groomer to do it?

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have these: http://www.wahlhomeproducts.com/Prod...mmers/9961-900

I absolutely love them! They fit nicely into your hand and are really easy to hold - even with pets that are fighting you. My one dog fights hard when I clip the bottom of her feet and they never slip out, burn or cut her. They're around $20 at Canadian Tire here, lol.

My boyfriend also uses them to trim his beard, lol.