Trimming Claws

kathleenpons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Lola, will not let me trim her claws. I've been trying since she was 10 weeks old and she now is 2 years old. I have tried putting her in a blanket and she manages to get out of it in about 2 seconds. She lets me pet her paws. She lets the groomer clip them while I hold her, but it costs $10. I have to take her in twice a month, so it's a bit expensive......$20/month. Plus, when I try to do it, she bites and claws at me. Is there any way I could give her say a small amount of Benadryl (1/4 pill) so she gets a little groggy and I can try clipping them again? I'm open to any suggestions. HELP.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Instead, what about when she's asleep, and try touching her paws. Then progress to clipping one claw. Then next time try another, etc...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathleenpons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She lets me touch/pet her paws all the time...thinking that might help, but no.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son had a method. He knelt on the floor, and put the cat between his legs, exposing only her front paws and then clipped away.

My Lily was touchy, and still is to some degree. I would clip the one or two claws she let me, then waited a while (sometimes a day or two) and clip one or two more. She's still skittish, but I can clip all ten now. I don't bother the hind claws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathleenpons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try the kneeling on the floor with cat between legs and see if that works. Thanks for your response.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I just wanted to point out that though you can give Benadryl to dogs with a vet’s advice you should NOT give Benadryl to cats. I asked my vet if I could give him Benadryl for his allergies. She told me no! Why? Because cat’s livers hold onto medicine for days it is easy to overdose your cats.

I would just clip one claw while she sleeps. One claw a day. If she wakes don’t show her the clippers but pet her, talk softly to her and give her a treat. I never did the clip in their sleep route. I stay calm, clip their claws, stop if they seem agitated (you can work her up to more then one claw slowly.) Also just do the tips, when in doubt clip less. Give her treats every time when you finish. I would pay to have her back claws clipped every month or two. Just remember to stay calm, approach it with gentle firmness and remember you will get all her claws eventually.

*Have you tried using the same type of clippers as the groomer does?