trimmed nail too short / cut quick / bleeding

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the first time in 11 years trimming my girl's claws I cut the quick. She was being feisty and pulled back at the wrong time. To make matters worse her fur is white on the paw!

She bled a little bit but I used cornstarch to stop it. It was more than a pin prick but not a "geyser" if that makes sense. She's walking, eating (which for her is a big deal as our followers know!), and used the scratching post so I'm assuming she is ok. She still lets me examine the paw too. She did clean the paw and re-opened the wound so to speak but it's not really bleeding.

Comparing that claw with the two that surround it, I think I just got the quick. I did not cut the nail bed, that is still visible with a good amount of claw that comes past it. How much I can't say b/c less than half an inch and I have no visual reference.

Hopefully this is a non-event but I'll check the claw once or twice tomorrow just to ensure it's not bleeding. How long do these things take to heal? Is there anything I should be concerned about like infection? Should I follow up with the vet on Monday just to be safe?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I would keep an eye on it and look for an infection, which is possible. If she continues to open it by licking it, especially if she causes further bleeding, you might have to do something else besides wait until Monday for the vet.

Nonetheless, you might at least check in with the vet in case there is something else they can advise you to do to help with healing. I don't think it will take too long to heal as long as she is not repeatedly irritating it or causing it to bleed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah, there is a quick clot I don’t have, but I could pick it up tomorrow.

I got my headlamp out and that made examining the paw a lot easier and it was bone dry looked actually pretty good all things considered. I think going forward I’ll add the headlamp to my tool set for trimming her claws because it made a big difference in being able to see things.

hopefully she doesn’t just lick it to death overnight. It’s bedtime for us right now. luckily she’s not due for a potty for another six or seven hours. so hopefully by then it’s at least healed enough that she can go potty safely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
She cleaned her paw up nicely overnight and it's remained clotted up today. It was hard to tell how much damage I did last night b/c of the blood in her white fur but when I looked at it earlier today I could see I just nicked the quick. No change in her behavior and it seems to have been less traumatic for her than her last vet visit where she got her vaccinations! I'll check on the claw every day for the next while just for infection but I think we'll be ok.

For anyone reading this in the future, the only thing I wish I had on hand was a clotting agent for pets. If you trim your cat's nails that might be worth picking up just to have. But if you don't have that cornstarch and flour can also be used as they are pet safe. My local animal ER advised against using a "human" styptic pencil and recommended something more pet safe.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She cleaned her paw up nicely overnight and it's remained clotted up today. It was hard to tell how much damage I did last night b/c of the blood in her white fur but when I looked at it earlier today I could see I just nicked the quick. No change in her behavior and it seems to have been less traumatic for her than her last vet visit where she got her vaccinations! I'll check on the claw every day for the next while just for infection but I think we'll be ok.

For anyone reading this in the future, the only thing I wish I had on hand was a clotting agent for pets. If you trim your cat's nails that might be worth picking up just to have. But if you don't have that cornstarch and flour can also be used as they are pet safe. My local animal ER advised against using a "human" styptic pencil and recommended something more pet safe.
I really like Kwik Stop. It does a good job, and cornstarch and flour are great back ups. :)
I've been a pet groomer for over 20 years. I've gotten nails too short, mostly on dogs but occasionally on a cat. You handled this situation very well!