Trilling

uhmkyrstin

Mama to a Purrfect Kitten
Young Cat
Purraise
Dipper makes a sound constantly, while playing, eating, laying down, running around, sitting and staring at the wall.. even sometimes in his sleep. He does is when I come into the room, when I leave, when I’m sitting with him, snuggling, talking to him, etcs. and I never knew why or what to call it. I found a video of a cat doing something similar and it was titled “trilling.” Is this a good sound? Does is mean he’s happy? Could it just be him being talkative, as I’ve read that siamese cats often are? (I believe Dipper is part siamese.) I want to make sure it’s not a sad sound.. I don’t want anything to be wrong with my baby!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had Siamese, and when they talk it basically means that to a person, it's almost like having a conversation. The cat is meowing, however.
Can you make a video of the sound when he's sleeping, or at rest staring at the wall and send that in to your vet?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, that's normal, that trilling sound. My have a cat who does that to me when I walk into the room. I think it's just an acknowledgment of you. Sort of like saying HI! She also does it whenever I touch her. It's nothing bad.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Trilling is a very happy sound. It can also be an excited anticipation sound. Both my cats trill to me, I love it! I think myself as lucky to have two sweet-sounding trillers.

When cats trill to each other, it's commonly called 'chirruping'. Dudley chirrups to Parker when they're playing and also when he's waiting for Parker to hurry up and come to play. Dudley chirrups and trills a lot.

Both these noises sound alike but are subtly different.

:jive:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love trilling. Usually my cats do it when they’re happy or want something haha. You can tell by the tone of the trill which one it is. When they want something it sounds very impatient.

Oh and there’s also the “please don’t touch me trill” when you pet them off guard. :petcat:

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, yes, what exactly happens when he's asleep?

I know that Dudley murmur/trills when he's asleep and I disturb him. But he's awake when he does it.

:sleep: