Tried... Failed... Trying Again

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought home a new guy yesterday, 5month old Rocky, and he’s such a sweet, affectionate, loving kitten!!

DB2A8896-F9A2-4391-8EA9-D63BB01E1614.jpeg

I instantly introduced him to our 5 year old ginger tabby, Bowser, who is not super affectionate, friendly-ish, and cute but not cuddly.

6DC03692-5976-477C-AB5E-37656B4CEFEA.jpeg

Bowser lost his life-long brother, Sylvester, 2 weeks ago (he was 16). So I assumed he was missing a friend. However, he kinda HATES the new addition.

After reading the forum a little, I’m going back to the drawing board. Have a safe room set up in our spare room for Rocky... will work on scent introductions this week and MAYBE more visuals next weekend.

Why did I assume it would be easy??!! Lol

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Bowser and Rocky are cutie pies. Hopefully in time they'll be best buds. But for now, yep, separate them and start the introductions all over again.

Here are the TCS articles in case you haven't seen them yet.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Good luck. Keep us posted on their progress.

Condolences, btw, on the loss of Sylvester. :alright: We have a Crossing the Bridge forum if you'd like to post a tribute to him. RIP sweet boy. :redheartpump: :angel3: :redheartpump:

One other thing to keep in mind, cat can mourn the loss of a human or non-human family member. :(
Do Cats Mourn?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
What exactly happened when you just tried to put them together?
Bowser growled and hissed. He hasn’t tried to attack or charge the kitten but is clearly unhappy!

Rocky is just fine but keeps his distance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bowser growled and hissed. He hasn’t tried to attack or charge the kitten but is clearly unhappy!

Rocky is just fine but keeps his distance.
Well, an introduction process is a good idea even with a kitten...but if trying the "put them together and see method" you really need a little more time. Sometimes the growling and hissing will fade if the kitten is being respectful and not jumpy. I mean, 5 y.o.s can definitely have lasting dislike for kittens, especially for jumpy non-boundary respecting kittens, but other times its ok pretty quickly; a lot of people do just put em together and see what happens. Even some people on this forum have done it with kittens and an older cat. Its pretty low risk since an older cat will almost never go for a kitten in earnest -- biological hard wiring is real. The main reason I see for a formal intro process is you don't want to be 6 months in, have the older cat still disliking the younger cat and some stress still present, and wonder if it would have been better if you had done more. In other words, I don't know that it actually helps here, but it will stop you second guessing yourself anyways.

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.

It stresses me out a little ... that guilt of “did I ruin my cat” on top of “will this kitten ever stop wind sprinting around the room” ... have definitely set in.

Thankfully, this isn’t our first “second” cat rodeo and I remember the woes with each one so I know that they pass... eventually!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What exactly happened when you just tried to put them together?
Growling and hissing, and even swatting are a cat's way of communicating. It's fur flying, blood, and an obviously scared/stressed cat that you need to be concerned about.

Thankfully, this isn’t our first “second” cat rodeo and I remember the woes with each one so I know that they pass... eventually!
Since you've done this before, you have an idea what to expect. Hopefully it all works out quickly. Keep us updated. And post more pics anytime you you want. :catman:

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Small update: Bowser was staring at the closed door where Rocky is currently living and wasn't growling or hissing (he was down the hall but that's the closest he's been since minute 1). He was also his normal self with me this morning, which makes me happy... and alleviates the "did I ruin my cat" woes from last night.

I'm at work now but will post an update if there are any changes when I am home.

In the meantime... here is a picture of Rocky with her 7-year old Puppy sister, Joey

IMG_7693.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... adorable. :heartshape: Looking forward to pics of Rocky with his big brother Bowser in the (hopefully) near future. :catlove:

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
New update: bowser willfully wandered into Rocky’s room while he was downstairs playing. Sniffed around and checked the place out... no hissing and didn’t seem upset.

Also, we did some same room play today and Bowser was fine and only hissed if Rocky came too close. Thankfully, Rocky seems to appreciate the boundaries and keeps him distance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything you describe is perfectly normal. Kittens are annoying to older cats, hissing, swatting, and pinning the youngster down to the ground by the neck are all normal and teach limits and manners, which YOU will appreciate when the kitten decides to target you. If the kitten squeals/cries out loudly and runs away after being disciplined, watch for how he reacts. If he comes back in a minute or two for more, everything is normal. If he hides and avoids the older cat, then he is truly hurt, and tehy must be supervised more closely. Poor Bowser is overwhelmed right now, but he will adjust in time. It is providing him with entertainment, and the new addition will give him company and a purpose in life. It will all work out in time!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if Bowser was aware that his tail hanging like that, would have been very tempting for little Rocky to swat at. :catman:

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
Bowser will sniff at Rocky and seems fine unless they come eye to eye!! So strange. As soon as Rocky turns around and faces Bowser, Bowser hisses and growls. Thankfully, there has been no physical aggression like swatting or charging

Bowser is also now very keen to investigate all areas that Rocky has been and loves the safe room... I feel a shift very soon!