tried a little raw most cats approve

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay we got some ground hamburger at the store yesterday so i decided to give each cat 1tsp of it blaziken went nuts for it she kept trying to steal everyone elses lol bucky didnt eat it carnation was growling at the others to leave her alone while she is eating hers lol the rest at it like a treat i was just testing my cats if they would eat it i might us it as a treat everyonce in awhile boy blaziken went nuts XD i hope bucky trys it one day he dont know what he is missing :)

i dont know if i can do a most raw or all raw on them due to lack of freezer space

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: It's so interesting to watch their reactions. Glad most of them enjoyed it! :clap:

Yes, freezer space is often the constraining factor. :nod: We needed to buy a chest freezer. We bought a used one from craigslist and put it outside on the deck, covered in a tarp. :lol3:

Ground meats shouldn't be a problem to feed infrequently as a treat. But it's usually recommend to grind at home due to the sometimes lack of sanitary conditions at the supermarket. A butcher may be different. But if there is salmonella or something, grinding it just spreads it all over. The meat may also experience some nutrient loss due to the exponentially increased surface area and degradation due to oxidation. So just a head's up on that. :)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like your cats could become Raw converts!

This is a thread that talks about the different types/styles of Raw feeding.

There are a bunch of articles on the Raw subforum, read a few and come back with any questions, concerns.

We also do hand-holding during the process!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ritz whats hand holding? im comfused lol

LDG i think they could do raw also i have 18 cats so yeah i need freezer space XD and i already know that thanks

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good! No way to know in advance who knows what. :)

Hand-holding = support. If you want support and encouragement if you start incorporating homemade raw into your cats' diets, you'll get it here. :)

Willowy also has quite a few kitties. She doesn't feed full-time raw, but supplements their current diet with raw. I believe she keeps it to less than 15% for most of the cats, as then you don't have to worry about balancing it. If you feed 3 meals a day, that means you can feed 3 meals a week of raw meat without worrying about bones or organs, etc. Adding a healthy "snack" in that sense never hurts. :rub:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, hand holding is encouragement going through the process:  some cats take to raw feeding like they do to mice; other cats, like to do to water.

You have questions:  We have answers--or at least our experience.

You can sometimes get freezer very inexpensively on Craigs List.  (I understand the kind that you have to defrost are cheaper and use less energy.)