Tricky Cat Escapee Situation. Need Advice/tips

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm beating myself up for this, but I left the back sliding door open while feeding our 5 feral cats, and my newly adopted (almost had her for two months) was finally brave enough to not only hang out in the kitchen (she's very very skittish, so when I'm in the kitchen and just move, she'd just run out), but then proceed to bolt out the door.

Now, I read articles on how to try to get her back, but I'm working with a ton of obstacles. Let's number them:

1. I have 5 feral cats that basically live in my backyard and I feed them twice a day. So, putting any sort of yummy food will attract them first and foremost. She will more than likely watch from a distance as they devour any and all food.

2. If I put out dirty litter/litter box: Someone will surely urinate on it because they are such territorial lovebugs. :) Even if, say, she goes in the litter box. As soon as I approach it, I'm sure she will jump out and bolt.

3. My backyard is a cat oasis. There's a reason why 5 feral cats hang out in our backyard. Not only are they fed, but it's massive, with plenty of greenery, plants, dirt, places to grab shade, roll around, etc. She will soon realize this, and will refuse to come inside again.

So with all that said, it's not the end of the world of her hanging out outside for a few days because my neighborhood is pretty safe, the backyard is spacious, and the ferals' are pretty chill. There's only slapping matches with one another, maybe someone will throw a good punch to make someone bleed, but nothing vicious. No one has gotten super hurt from anyone else.

Ideally, I obviously want her inside ASAP, but I'm at a loss at finding a compelling way to get her in. The only thing I can think of is this (it will be a ton of work, but it can possibly work):

When we feed the ferals, watch all of them as they eat. Again, inside cat will more than likely stay away, or if she tries to eat and we approach her, she will run off. We want her to stay away though because once everyone finishes eating, I can put food inside the house/kitchen. If she bites, start her half outside/half inside, then pull the bowl further in. Once I can get a whole body in, shut the door.

Again, no idea how long this will take. Just worried she will become feral before I can get this to work. When I adopted her, she was a semi-feral (she's only 1.5 years old, so didn't spend a lot of her life outside).

Thanks ahead of time for any advice, pep talk, encouragement. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes! Last we saw her was in our yard; however, she was perched on the fence right before we had to head off to work and accept defeat at the moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we will more than likely trap 5 of our ferals before we trap her, lol. Especially the males. They are vultures when it comes to food, so they will push her out of the way to get to it. And by then, she will see how that trap works and is smart enough to go near it. I mean, I guess we can try just to try something.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why I mentioned multiple traps :)

In any case, best of luck to you!! Let us know what happens :vibes::crossfingers::goodluck: