Treats

Blondebomb77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good morning! Thank you for adding me! I have 4 fur babies and one of my male cats archer who is 2 wakes me up every morning early to eat his treats. I am trying to take them off the treats because i hear they are so bad. What can i do to make him stop waking me up every morning between 2-5??

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he just wanting treats, or is he also hungry at this time as well? Does he also expect attention from you when you give him his treats?
If he's begging for treats because he's hungry, a larger meal before bed could he keep him satiated for a bit longer. Also, a good play session before his last meal before bed, till he's good and tired may help keep him calmer thru the night.
If he begging for treats because it works (you cave into his demands:D) You may just need to re train him to not ask. That unfortunately takes time, patience and consistency on your part. You just need to ignore him, no matter what. And I mean TOTAL ignore, don't look at him, don't say no, NOTHING, because he could also be bugging you for attention as well. If he jumps up on the bed and makes it impossible for you to "ignore" him, like he's swatting at your face or something, simply pick him up and put him on the floor, again without looking at him or saying a single word. Do this over and over without fail. After some time he'll learn that begging does not work anymore. If you cave, even just once, you'll have to start all over again. Cats are smart, and determined, but are also creatures of habit and routine. So you just need to be 100% consistent to create this new routine for them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep...make sure he isn't hungry, then ignore him completely. Or pretend to.

I'm a huge fan of our articles, and those linked below might have some solutions for you! They are clear, concise, and easy to read. Won't take long at all!

Cats And Night Crazies!
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification

That said, I'm a bit of a hypocrite here. Hekitty has me so well trained that I've been known to wake up in the middle of the night stroking her!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you feed him and pick up his bowl when he walks away? If there is food left in his bowl he maybe planning to come back and eat the rest of it later. This isn't the best planning if you're not an only cat, but it may indicate that he really is hungry and needs more food or at least what he doesn't finish right away.

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh the witching hour! My cat wakes me up then too. Be careful with the treats...They're cunning little things that will train us to feed them and it can lead to weight problems.
Like others have said- make sure your cat has a good dinner and then try to ignore the begging for more food. It's not easy!