Treats

killerpandasniece

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really mind that my cat doesn't like treats or really anything other than her dry food (which I find weird) I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason or if it's just her.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a texture thing- some cats are particular like that. What kind of treats do you have? Have you tried both the soft and chewy and the crunchy type? Freeze dried raw treats are also an option.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Treats are not a necessary part of a cat's diet, just like cookies and junk food are not a necessary part of a Human's diet. It is nice to indulge in a treat occasionally :agree: If your cat doesn't like treats, it's perfectly ok. Some cats may prefer their fur being brushed or playtime over food.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats that never even try to nibble on a treat. I’ve tried all different kinds. I wouldn’t care normally, but it makes integration the third cat really hard. After much trial and error one cat likes pure cooked chicken and the other only likes these Fancy Feast chicken pouches (must be the preservatives )

George?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had great luck with Orijen freeze-dried cat treats (particularly the lamb ones). They're as well-loved as lunchmeat around here. That said, if you're not training your cat or introducing a new arrival, you don't really need treats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You are not alone, i.e. I don't give treats to our cat either. I agree that it's not a necessary part of their diet. Just out of curiosity since she favors dry food does she drink enough water? Fortunately our guy loves his water bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerpandasniece

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are not alone, i.e. I don't give treats to our cat either. I agree that it's not a necessary part of their diet. Just out of curiosity since she favors dry food does she drink enough water? Fortunately our guy loves his water bowl.
Oh yeah, don't worry. I fill her water bowl like four times a day.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only reason to hope a kitty likes treats is that it affords a better possibility of training them to do things: walk on a leash, come inside when called, come to you every time, play ball, whatever.
One of ours never liked any treats at all, and much prefers dry food. Luckily, she is also Miss Goody-Two-Shoes, without any behaviors we'd want to discourage... ;)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use treats with my girl as an enrichment or entertainment activity. They go in a holed bottle for her to roll and shake out. They go under plastic cups that she needs to “hunt” throughout the house and they go in her puzzle feeder where she has to fish them out of several sections before she is able to eat them.

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One my cats doesn't like treats either. I've tried all sorts, freeze dried, liver, chicken..all not interested. I was hoping to use treats to train her. My other cat loves treats so I was able to do some basic training (when it pleases her majesty).

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats has been all that interested in treats. In fact, the only 'treats' that Gwen ever liked were actually her thyroid meds, which the vet ordered in a liver-flavored tablet. Even canned tuna was spurned.

Juniper is allergic to chicken, so our choices for giving her treats are severely limited, since most have some sort of chicken by-product in them. We have two flavors of the Orijen treats, but she's not really that into either flavor. She also goes very hot and cold on people foods that we give her occasionally as a treat-- on some days she'll beg for turkey bacon when we're eating it, and on others, she will refuse it when we offer her a tiny nibble.

Silly kittens....

The only reason I'd like Juniper to be more interested in treats is that we're trying to harness train her, and every piece of advice on how to this correctly includes treats of some sort as a reward. Even with non-food treats like playtime or attention, she's a skittish kitty who wants to play and get petted on her own schedule, not when we are trying to reward her. So having a bribe to give her would be useful!