Treats

shadowbaby14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

So this might be a stupid question but I would like to know what a healthy intake of treats per day would be? I feed my 4 month old kitten Temptations treats and she loves them... I think she's addicted. She has a little toy that dispenses treats when she plays with it, and I give her a couple treats a day.. (sometimes more when she's being a good girl. It could amount to 5 per day. I don't always monitor when she's playing with the toy but it's hard to get the treats out of it so I'm guessing she only gets a couple out if any at all.) I would like to know how if I'm giving her too many.

Also, I just finished reading a thread how Temptations are no good... opinions? I just bought a 6-pack box... 

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think those Temptations treats are like crack for kitties.    My last cat use to love them too.   I have a new kitten and dont buy them for him after I learned about food and learned to read the ingredients.  They are filed with corn, wheat flour, salt, by products. 

Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rice, Dried Meat by-Products, Wheat Flour, Natural Flavors, Corn Gluten Meal, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Folic Acid Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Dried Cheese

I now give as treats Pure Bites or I'll buy a small bag of grain free dry good to give as treats once and awhile. 

I wouldn't feed him too much in one day(maybe 6 every other day or something)  Maybe after you go thru the batch of Tempations you have, you can find a healthier treat.  My kitten loves the Pure Bites chicken or turkey. 

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A treat should make up no more than ten percent of a pet's diet. As for Temptations...They are junk food, but in moderation it shouldn't be a problem. You can always get some really healthy ones and mix it up a bit. My cats love Zukes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowbaby14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Lokhismom  : Yeah that's what I thought.. She definitely is addicted to them, she scarfs them down the second she sees them! I've been looking into buying organic treats online such as Club Canine... I have yet to check out Pure bites. Thing is, I live in Quebec, Canada and it's hard to come by these raw meat treats... So I was going to order some online. I'll definitely switch to healthier treats once I'm done what I have here. After everything I have read, I feel like my kitten is going to have to go to the vet a lot if I feed her too many of these!! Thanks for the thoughts and advice. 

@Chromium Blues  : Good to know, I think I should be ok for the amount, as for healthier treats I will look into Zukes also. Thank you for the information and advice. 

You both have helped a lot in giving me the insight on these treats. It helps having fellow kitty owners give advice rather then reading up on the internet about this. Seems more personal. :)