Treats that are safe for urinary issues?

Murphys_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, my 3 year old Murphy is prescribed Hills C/D dry food for a urinary blockage he had about a month ago. He is doing great now and we’ve adjusted his environment, water intake, and obviously diet. My question is, are there any treats out there that are safe for cats that have a history of urinary issues? He used to get treats daily and he would get so excited at treat time. However, I don’t want to make him block again. The vet said the hills C/D HAS to be the only food in his diet, but i wasn’t sure if that included treats! I’m trying to do everything right because i want him to live a long and healthy life, but I also know how much he enjoyed his treats.. Any tips would be appreciated!! :) *pic of my snuggly dude attached*
812158C3-E20A-43DD-BAC8-26BAD584E0EF.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not exactly the same situation, but Feeby (17+ yo) had oxalate stones which required surgical removal at the age of 5. She was put on Hill's C/D, and I later added Royal Canin SO to her diet for variety. I never stopped giving her the Temptations Hairball Control treats that she still loves to this day, and (knock on wood) she has been stone free since the surgery. She has actually been off those foods for the past 2-3 years and only eats non-prescription canned food.

However, blockages in males are more common and more problematic, so that would make me a bit hesitant. I do know that Royal Canin has a urinary care treat, as does Purina Pro. So, you might ask your vet if one of those would be an acceptable treat. There are other brands too, so you could compare the ingredients to see if they are similar to the RC or Purina Pro treats. Tbh, if he isn't eating that many treats a day, I personally don't think it would be a problem regardless.

I also want to note that if you are using the dry prescription food, you might consider seeing if he will also eat the canned version - just for more moisture.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meat only treats should be ok. This can be plain cooked meat like chicken poached in water or store bought freeze dried meat treats.

The prescription food may not be necessary for life despite what the vet says. Many vets don't know much about nutrition and recommend / push prescription food as a "cure all" for every health issue. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food and feed somethng else. You might want to take a read through this:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Murphys_mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Not exactly the same situation, but Feeby (17+ yo) had oxalate stones which required surgical removal at the age of 5. She was put on Hill's C/D, and I later added Royal Canin SO to her diet for variety. I never stopped giving her the Temptations Hairball Control treats that she still loves to this day, and (knock on wood) she has been stone free since the surgery. She has actually been off those foods for the past 2-3 years and only eats non-prescription canned food.

However, blockages in males are more common and more problematic, so that would make me a bit hesitant. I do know that Royal Canin has a urinary care treat, as does Purina Pro. So, you might ask your vet if one of those would be an acceptable treat. There are other brands too, so you could compare the ingredients to see if they are similar to the RC or Purina Pro treats. Tbh, if he isn't eating that many treats a day, I personally don't think it would be a problem regardless.

I also want to note that if you are using the dry prescription food, you might consider seeing if he will also eat the canned version - just for more moisture.
I will look into those options!! Thank you so much! He has a water fountain and we also leave faucets dripping for him. I also started giving him a small bowl of very low sodium bone broth each morning just to add in a bit of moisture in his diet. He was getting a very small handful of either the greenies dental treats or temptations daily. So i feel like that small amount isn’t going to hurt him, but i know how easy it is for male cats to block!! Hopefully one of the brands you mentioned will work for us and I can feel more at ease giving him treats every day