Treatment For Skin Lesions - Clindamycin

beccakb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I posted awhile back about some skin lesions on my kitty that had persisted over 2 months. At one of our recent trips to the vet, they wanted to try a ringworm treatment (Intrafungol) and a bacterial treatment (Clindamycin). We are finishing up the fifth week of Intrafungol, and the Clindamycin treatment was for a week. Her sores disappeared about 2 weeks into treatment, which I was ecstatic about.

Unfortunately I noticed one of her skin lesions in her armpit returned yesterday. We have 3 days left of the Intrafungol, which I would think means this is not ringworm. My guess is it's bacterial and the Clindamycin helped--but it's returned after the antibiotic has completely left her system.

Went to a different vet today--same experience. They don't know what it is, just decided to give me another round of Clindamycin and an injection of Depomedrol for the itching she is experiencing.

Just wanted to come on here to see if anyone has had any experience with skin lesions that seemed to have responded to Clindamycin but came back...or something similar? Also wondering if it's okay to try the Clindamycin again...worried that if it's a resistant strain of bacteria that going at it again with Clindamycin will just make it more resistant.

Any thoughts are very appreciated! <3

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone done a skin scrape and culture to find out what kind of infection it is? What do you feed her? Is it possible it's a skin reaction to a food allergy or litter allergy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccakb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone done a skin scrape and culture to find out what kind of infection it is? What do you feed her? Is it possible it's a skin reaction to a food allergy or litter allergy?
Neither vet that I've visited has brought it up to do a skin biopsy/culture. I thought about asking today at the vet but he kept saying that it seemed fine and wasn't a big deal (obviously I feel like it's the opposite since we've been dealing with this problem for over 3 months now...)

I had her on Authority (what the shelter had her on) and now I have her on Whole Earth Farms grain-free food, chicken flavor. I've read that chicken allergies are pretty common so I could try to switch to a different protein. I've switched her litter twice. Could change it again though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try a natural litter, just in case that's the culprit, but I'm thinking it might be the chicken. Try to find a single protein source such as duck, venison, or turkey and see if that helps. Also, I'd really request a culture from the vet. If it's not an infection, then there's no need to be throwing antibiotics at your kitty.