Treatment For Fleas And Ear Mites

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so today i was cleaning my cats ears one of them had mites i can see in the flash light of my phone they are small and white my vet gave ear drops before it was expensive also but im not sure it’s for mites or no and my other cats i saw black dots in hes hair so i was checking him i saw a flea i kill that piss off sh** but I don’t know what to do i will call my vet and ask tomorrow but i read the flea treatment can cause health problems and death sometimes i want to make sure they are safe because they lick each other sometimes what should i get shampoo is safe without causing any problems 100% safe .. my cats are Indore how they got mites I didn’t even notice because they are not itching them self maybe once

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ear mites don't generally present as white - but rather they are dark in color. You could be seeing ear wax, but even that usually takes on a darker color due to the dirt associated with wax accumulation.

When you call the vet, find out what the ear drops were actually for - that would help immensely in determining if the same thing is occurring again. It may have nothing to do with mites at all.

The fleas may or may not be related to what you are seeing in the one cat's ear.

I don't know where you are located, but most topical flea treatments are safe to use. I am not aware of health problems or death in any typical flea treatments; however, there are occasions when a cat might be allergic to a flea treatment. But, as far as I know it doesn't lead to death.

Once the topical flea treatment is absorbed into a cat's skin, there is not a real issue for another cat to be licking them and ingesting it. On the other hand, shampooing your cat with a flea treatment would be much more likely to be ingested by another cat who licks the treated cat.

As far as the cats being indoors, anyone who comes and goes from the house can bring a flea into the home on their shoes or clothes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ear mites don't generally present as white - but rather they are dark in color. You could be seeing ear wax, but even that usually takes on a darker color due to the dirt associated with wax accumulation.

When you call the vet, find out what the ear drops were actually for - that would help immensely in determining if the same thing is occurring again. It may have nothing to do with mites at all.

The fleas may or may not be related to what you are seeing in the one cat's ear.

I don't know where you are located, but most topical flea treatments are safe to use. I am not aware of health problems or death in any typical flea treatments; however, there are occasions when a cat might be allergic to a flea treatment. But, as far as I know it doesn't lead to death.

Once the topical flea treatment is absorbed into a cat's skin, there is not a real issue for another cat to be licking them and ingesting it. On the other hand, shampooing your cat with a flea treatment would be much more likely to be ingested by another cat who licks the treated cat.

As far as the cats being indoors, anyone who comes and goes from the house can bring a flea into the home on their shoes or clothes.
I saw the white thing are moving they were very small ... so which flea treatment should i get is safe ??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fleas nor mites present as white in color. That is something else. Perhaps lice? When you call your vet to ask what the previous ear drop treatment was for - and also ask what they recommend for a topical flea treatment in our area.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fleas are dark brown / black specks.

Ear mites are also dark brown / black colored.

The white things you saw are likely some other parasite. Maybe try to get a few of those white things into a small container so you can show it to the vet and have the vet identity what it is?

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Fleas nor mites present as white in color. That is something else. Perhaps lice? When you call your vet to ask what the previous ear drop treatment was for - and also ask what they recommend for a topical flea treatment in our area.
I asked him he said to get ear drop and some spray for the lice what is flea is it like lice it’s on hair? I was one only in my cats hair and it was dark colour
And this is the ear drop which im using to clean the wax in their ears

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they are small and white
I was one only in my cats hair and it was dark colour
I asked him he said to get ear drop and some spray for the lice
I am confused now. Are they white or dark in color? The dark could be either mites or fleas. If they are concentrated mostly in the ears, that would likely then be mites. Are you saying the vet thinks your cat also has lice??

Here is an article on lice that might help you.

Cat Lice | Feline Pediculosis | Cat Parasites | petMD

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am confused now. Are they white or dark in color? The dark could be either mites or fleas. If they are concentrated mostly in the ears, that would likely then be mites. Are you saying the vet thinks your cat also has lice??

No in ears i saw something white in hair i saw something like lice I don’t know what fleas is

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

There is black dots also is in hes hair i read that is fleas poop so im not sure that thing which i got was fleas or lice

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fleas are dark brown / black specks.

Ear mites are also dark brown / black colored.

The white things you saw are likely some other parasite. Maybe try to get a few of those white things into a small container so you can show it to the vet and have the vet identity what it is?

Here is pic of that gross thing

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, yes it would seem he may have fleas.

Still doesn't explain the white thing you saw.

There are topical flea treatments to give him which the vet can tell you what they think is the best one for where you live.

Take him to the vet and find out for sure what all you are dealing with. Once that is done, then any/all proper treatments can be determined.

Until then, all we are doing is guessing.

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
White thing (depending on its size) might have been flea eggs. They look like tiny grains of salt. But as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, it's just a guess.
I searched on google it’s says that mite also coms in white colour

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to an article
Have a Mangy Cat? 5 Mites That Can Frustrate Your Feline
Mange in Cats: 5 Mites That Can Frustrate Your Feline

It describes ear mites, small pin head size white dots that can be found on the mites' foul smelling dark brown poo. The mites consume ear wax, skin and the poo looks like coffee grounds in the cat's ear.

There is a growing problem in SoCal with Cheyletiella blakei, nicknamed “walking dandruff” for its appearance. On my property, there are numerous wild rabbits. Even though my cats are 100% indoor only, I can become a carrier. I try to make it a practice after doing yard work to remove and wash clothes in hot water. Then I am next for the hot water wash and scrub. I am among the small percentage of the human population gets wheals from Cheyletiella bytes. You can unknowingly scratch the mite bite wheals on your legs and the affected area will bleed.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advantage Multi from Bayer protects against fleas, lice, ear mites and more. There are other products too.

But if your cat has fleas, a spot-on treatment like Advantage Multi isn't enough. You need to vacuum EVERYWHERE, preferably multiple days in a row, and clean everything and everywhere. The spot on treatment kills the fleas on your cat and the ones who will jump on the cat later, but if there are fleas in your house, they will continue to breed so a house cleansing is a must.