rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Oliver to the vet yesterday because he
1) Vomited during the night
2) Was listless in the morning
3) Refused treats

The appointment was for 2:30. Prior to that he got up (seemed less lethargic), drank a little water and then ate a treat. He still wasn't his active self or very interested in the treats, although he did eat them. When I put him in the carrier he meowed, but I didn't know if it was out of frustration that he was going in the carrier or because he was in pain.

The vet felt his back and Oliver screamed and hissed. It was not just pressing on a tiny section that created pain, it was a good portion of his back.

The vet said it could be kidneys or back. It could be caused by a virus. He said he would treat the symptoms. He wrote on Oliver's chart "painful lumbar spine. Possible virus, invertebral disc disease."

He told me that he wasn't going to x-ray, but he would treat the symptoms. He gave him prednisolone and amoxicillin.

Oliver appears to feel a lot better. I don't know if he will really BE better, though. I don't know if it's his spine or his kidneys. If it's his kidneys I don't know if it's an infection that will be cured by the antibiotics or if he has a kidney disease.

Has anyone else experienced the same symptoms? Just treating the symptoms sounds like there is no cure --- or is it just the least invasive way to diagnose?

Please keep Oliver in your prayers. Thanks.

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some vets I've worked with "treat the symptoms" as a lower-cost maneuver to help out owners-- why do x-rays when you're not really sure they'll help at all? If it was a big portion of his back, the vet may be trying this first since you haven't been able to localize the pain? From my experience, most vets can pinpoint a kidney and feel if it's abnormal.

I know it's hard not to worry yourself sick over them, but trust your vet. I wouldn't jump to kidney disease just yet.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If kidney trouble was suspected I would expect my vet to do blood work, at the very least. And a urinalysis if there was anything in the bladder. Feeling a kidney is not an accurate way to diagnose problems.

A virus will not respond to antibiotics.

Glad he is doing better, keep us posted on your Oliver.

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

If kidney trouble was suspected I would expect my vet to do blood work, at the very least. And a urinalysis if there was anything in the bladder. Feeling a kidney is not an accurate way to diagnose problems.

Having bloodwork done is a good point. Let us know how things go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marycatherine

Some vets I've worked with "treat the symptoms" as a lower-cost maneuver to help out owners-- why do x-rays when you're not really sure they'll help at all? If it was a big portion of his back, the vet may be trying this first since you haven't been able to localize the pain? From my experience, most vets can pinpoint a kidney and feel if it's abnormal.
I know it's hard not to worry yourself sick over them, but trust your vet. I wouldn't jump to kidney disease just yet.
You're right. A lot of things have been going through my mind. It's good to know that you think most vets can pinpoint a kidney and feel if it's abnormal.

I wondered about the x-rays. I imagine Oliver would have to be under anesthesia so he keeps still during x-rays, right? I thought maybe the vet didn't want to do that until he felt better.

He said to call tomorrow if he wasn't feeling better. No follow-up visit. My mind goes back and forth from well then, he must be ok to he can't do anything BUT treat the symptoms to help him.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I know a virus won't respond to antibiotics. I am really confused about the whole thing. I should have asked more questions, but I was shocked when he said "back or kidneys" and it threw me off. I guess I expected him to say he had a little cold or even a flu.

Perhaps he was thinking out loud when he said kidneys. He didn't bring it up after that.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for caring about my Oliver.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I know a virus won't respond to antibiotics. I am really confused about the whole thing. I should have asked more questions, but I was shocked when he said "back or kidneys" and it threw me off. I guess I expected him to say he had a little cold or even a flu.

Perhaps he was thinking out loud when he said kidneys. He didn't bring it up after that.
Yes, it's difficult to think on your feet when you are worried sick over your beloved pet.

My suggestion is that you make a list of your questions and call the vet. See if your vet has voice mail, so you can leave your questions. The vet can formulate answers and then call you back.

My vet has voice mail and this works great for us!

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for anesthesia for x-rays, it depends on the cat. At my clinic, if we can get the x-ray without anesthesia, we'll certainly try! However some cats get freaked out very easily so we would have to put them under if it was serious enough.

Otto has a good point about checking bloodwork, as it would tell things that could not be determined by sight/touch. Has Oliver had bloodwork done recently? I like having bloodwork done for my peace of mind sometimes, since a lot of time they can do a comprehensive panel and tell me "look how many things are healthy!"

Since your vet invited you to call back, I would! It's definitely normal to be scared and nervous and we get tons of owners who call back just because they have a question or worry that they didn't think to ask during the visit. It's really perfectly okay to say "I'm really worried about Oliver, could you tell me a little about why we did the things we did just for my peace of mind?" If you've got a decent vet, they shouldn't have a problem explaining their thought process and decisions.

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Thank you both for caring about my Oliver.
I really like this forum because I know I freak out when anything happens to my animals (haha, see the nutrition section or my post on the health board!) sometimes it really helps just to talk it out with someone to make you feel a little better rather than sit and stew and think of all the bad things it could possibly be.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my vet and he has been Oliver's vet since he was a kitten. Oliver will be 11 in August.

He said to call if he wasn't better. I'm going to email him though. That way I can formulate my thoughts better and he won't be rushed to answer.

Thanks for all your help!