Travelling With A Feral Cat

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short, I trapped, neutered and released a feral cat outside of my parent's house about 8 years ago. Ever since then that cat, now named Clyde by me, has called my parent's patio his home. I moved out about 6 years ago and my parents have fed and provided him with shelter ever since. He is extremely skittish, but loves to show affection to my mom and even has interest in coming inside the house.

But now, my parents are moving over 1,200 miles to live closer to me now and have threatened to euthanize Clyde because they don't want to bring him with them. That broke my heart to hear that, so I decided to fly to my parent's house, trap Clyde and fly him home to live with me. He's an older gentleman now, I assume 10 years or older and it's high-time he got a safe indoor home for himself.

I've booked my flight and have a few weeks to prepare, but I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge or experience traveling with a feral cat on a plane and bringing a feral cat home after travel. I plan to only stay with my parents for about 24 hours to trap Clyde, give him Gabapentin to sedate him for travel and bring him in a soft-sided carrier as a carry-on on the plane. Once home we will, of course, separate him in his own room and will need to see a vet immediately. I have one cat already and I'm nervous about how they'll take to each other too.
Any tips are appreciated!!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is a sweet little guy! Just a few thoughts about getting him home. Do you think you will need more than 24 hours to trap him? Has he ever been given gabapentin before? When I used it to get a semi-feral cat to the vet, I followed recommendations to use it the night before and again the morning of the appointment. I haven't used them, but you could spray his carrier with a calming product, such as Feliway. Maybe have a small, thin blanket ready in case you need to cover the carrier. I assume that you have checked with the airlines about bringing Clyde. In the past anyway, the carry-on needed to fit under the seat and only a few animals were allowed on each flight.

Thank you so much for saving Clyde and giving him a good indoor home! If you do a slow introduction to your other cat and give both of them lots of attention, I think it will all work out well!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, he is a sweet little guy! Just a few thoughts about getting him home. Do you think you will need more than 24 hours to trap him? Has he ever been given gabapentin before? When I used it to get a semi-feral cat to the vet, I followed recommendations to use it the night before and again the morning of the appointment. I haven't used them, but you could spray his carrier with a calming product, such as Feliway. Maybe have a small, thin blanket ready in case you need to cover the carrier. I assume that you have checked with the airlines about bringing Clyde. In the past anyway, the carry-on needed to fit under the seat and only a few animals were allowed on each flight.

Thank you so much for saving Clyde and giving him a good indoor home! If you do a slow introduction to your other cat and give both of them lots of attention, I think it will all work out well!
Unfortunately, with my work I can't take any days off due to understaffing. I work at a vet clinic, so they are aware and sympathetic to the situation, if something were to happen I think they would give me some leeway, hopefully. So I'm flying down on a Saturday and flying back Sunday.

Clyde loves his food and I'm hoping that he'll be in his usual place or if my mom can trick him and bring him inside a few hours before I arrive that would be even better! My mom told me that he will walk right into a carrier with some treats (he's not very smart), but I also have a trap at her house too. I've told her to put the trap on the patio so they aren't afraid of it, incase we need to use it.

As for Gabapentin, he's never had it before, but I will see if he will either take it with some food or I can try and pill him. I'm bringing blankets, towels and leather protective gloves incase I need to use them!

I think my mom has some Feliway spray for her indoor cat she's taking with her, so I will ask to use it on Clyde's carrier.

I think covering the carrier for the duration of travel is the best idea. I have a large soft-sided Sherpa and I contacted the airline to confirm dimensions and to ask if I need to show any documentation, which they told me I do not, which is lucky for me because I wanted to get his medical care at my vet clinic once he's home with me. I have zip-ties in case I need to tie the zippers of the carrier closed incase he gets feisty.

I THINK I have everything covered, but you never know. I haven't done this before and it never hurts to ask for help or get other opinions. My parents are freaking out and telling me I'm being ridiculous, so you're very kind to help, it makes me feel better. :)

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are absolutely doing the right thing and it sounds like you have it covered. Don't listen to your folks! I'll bet they will be happy and relieved that Clyde will have a new, safe home and they can visit him! Gabapentin can affect cats differently, some get more knocked out than others, but you probably know that from working at a vet clinic. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful what you're doing for Clyde, and I agree with Avery Avery that your parents will appreciate it, eventually. One thing I recommend is that you line the bottom of his carrier with a puppy pad, and have a plastic bag to use for disposal, just in case he does something smelly on the trip. Also, Vetoquinol makes a product called Zylkene that's supposed to help keep animals calm during stressful situations. It's a bovine milk product so I doubt it would interact with the gabapentin, and might help if the gaba doesn't sedate him enough. Comes in a capsule and can be mixed into some sort of smelly wet food (as can the gaba). Hope all goes well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I didn't think about Zylkene, but I should get some! And the puppy pad is such a good idea too!!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That handsome fellow is in no way, shape, or form, feral. Feral cats cannot or will not tolerate the presence of or contact with humans.

The best advice I can give is to travel with Clyde as carry on, but you’ve already got that covered. Along with the puppy pads, I’d include some sort of soft bedding soaked in familiar scents, such as an unwashed old shirt worn by your dad or mom, his favorite bed (if it fits) or something similar. I’d also use something thick to cover the carrier with to help muffle any loud meowing.

Clyde will be discombobulated by the move, for a time, but that will pass and is certainly better than the alternative. Enjoy your trip. Stay calm and centered no matter what happens. When Clyde sees you’re not concerned, he’ll feel less stressed.

You’re doing a good thing. I hope you and Clyde have a fun, safe trip.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no advice for you. Just thank you for being a caring person. Not to many things can move me those day, well you menage to do that. There are decent and caring people out there but you … outshine them right now. Thank you