Travelling: Road trip

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!! So each year, my family goes on 1-2 roadtrips to Montreal to visit extended family which is a 6 hour drive from Toronto. And we stay from 3 days to a week each time. 

In the winter, we went with Leo, the cat we adopted a month earlier. He was 14 months at the time. I remember him meowing a LOT in the carrier so about half way, we got off at a pitstop to let him out. My parents thought he was hungry or needed to use the litter. So I put the litter box and food in front of my seat and put my legs up. Instead, he snuggled into my lap the ENTIRE way, not eat or drinking the entire trip. 

My second cousins often take care of their neighbour's 7 year old cat when they go to China so "Mango" was there as well. As soon as Leo got out of the carrier, he was extremely playful and did his exploring before finally eating. Thankfully, he is really adaptable and approached the older cat even though he didn't want anything to do with him xP On the way back, he didn't leave my lap. 

however, this summer, my dad is renting a van since my grandparents will also be going to the roadtrip in July. I was wondering how I can make this trip better for Leo.Should I still keep his litter in front of the seat as well as food? How about water? I know it's safer in the carrier but he meows nonstop if hes not on my lap ;( for shorter trips, I would no-doubt keep him in a carrier but I feel bad since hes cramped for 6 whole hours. I thought about taking him inside the car, to get him used to it so he isn't as scared. 

Im welcome to any suggestions! Thanks :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really isn't safe to have a cat loose in a moving vehicle - even if he does just stay in your lap. Think about what might happen if you had to do an emergency stop or, god forbid, were involved in an accident.

For long trips, the best solution is often a big carrier or dog crate - something big enough to take litterbox, water and have space for somewhere comfy to sleep (naked sure the box and water are fixed in place so they don't slide about during the journey). You could start crate training now to get him comfortable in there - have the crate set up 24/7 with something comfy inside to snuggle down on. Start feeding inside the crate (leaving the door open), and generally make it a really positive place to be. Being familiar with it will make travelling in it less stressful, and generally more pleasant, for him.

You could also spray the crate and bedding with Feliway on the day of travel - it doesn't always work, but it can make a big difference to some cats. Composure would be worth considering too, as that is proven to help a cat chill out. You could also travel in the back of the car, as near to his crate as possible. Being in closer proximity to you could really help too.[article="30165"][/article][article="29652"][/article][article="30316"][/article]

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My three cats travel every summer fot five hours one way to our rental. I suggest getting one of those metal mesh type dividers that they use in police cars-set the cat and yourself in the last seat and stay in the cage with the kitty. You can also try the above suggestion and get a huge dog crate.

Two of my cats sleep in the back of my suv. I set it up so all luggage and other crap I take with me is underneath the blankets I spread across. I make cat beds in the back and a litter box. We don't put out food or water. In the past they never eat because they were nervous.

I also got a huge dog crate and my third kitty stays in there because she has a bad habit of climbing underneath the seats and pees. In the past we used to put my rainbow kitty Flash in the crate with her to help calm her. She used to meow the entire five hours.

Now its been almost 7-8 years we have been doing this so now she only meows a few times and goes to sleep. I may put honeybee in with pumpkin face this summer to see if they will be ok. But pumpkin face doesn't like honeybee.

Honeybee is unusual because she stays on my lap making biscuits most of the time. She goes nuts in the cage scratches and mashes her nose then has an asthma attack so now we let her stay in the back. I do understand why some people say its better to crate them but I see dogs all the time loose in the car.

It takes some time to see what works. Taking short trips to show that trips don't have to be stressful is the key.

My third kitty Floey sleeps on her ratty cushion on the floor of the truck but lately she has been sleeping in the cathouse I put in the back. She is more doglike and has always loved car rides. But now that she's older she only sleeps.

This summer I want to get one of those metal mesh dividers to keep the cats in the back. I never let them under my feet or on the dash. I usually keep honeybee on my lap or she sleeps beside me in the next seat or goes out back to check on floey. Or she sleeps ontop of the big dog crate where pumpkin face is which makes pumpy meow every time she moves around.

The more you take them out the less they get worked up. Everyone who sees them can't believe how well behaved they are. I will be bringing the smaller crate to put honeybee in when I have to stop so she doesn't try to get out. We have been practicing this this morning on the way to the groomers. And she has been ok. So I will keep trying to show them that its not scarybto ride in the crate and of course its safer obviously. I am one of those drivers who pulls over to let people pass me anyways. So I just take my time and we always make it without too much howling.

Years ago you would think that I was killing Pumpkin face with how much noise she used to make. Now not a peep.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one cat I traveled with frequently had a big dog crate with a hammock for sleeping, a small litter box, and food dish.  I trained her to drink from a Lixit water bottle, which saves a LOT of spilled water!  She did fine with it after a few shorter trips to get her accustomed.