Traveling

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my first post here
I have two senior cats 8 and 9 years old. One of them is extremely territorial, attached to me, socially awkward. He will not eat if I am not around. I have to leave them alone to visit a sick parent overseas but I am out of answers. A local cat boarder told me the best option is let them stay at home with a pet sitter come to clean and feed. Has anyone else had issues when traveling (cat is 18 pounds unable to fly in cabin)?. Can I trust my cats to be alone for a week or two and have a professional sitter come to watch them?
Thank you

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, most cats will be happiest at home! As long as you have a cat friendly person to visit them at least once a day, they should be fine:)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I can understand your concern about being gone from your cat for a week or more but sunny578 sunny578 is correct that they would be happier at home. Cats are territorial so taking them out of their environment creates stress and anxiety.
Here is a TCS Article about how to choose the best pet sitter for your cat: Selecting The Best Pet Sitter – TheCatSite Articles

We don't go on vacation often but when we do we have a reliable pet sitter who comes twice a day. She feeds our cat, cleans the litter box, plays with him and stays for awhile to watch tv and keep him company. She texts me daily, sends pics and updates too. If you are thinking of looking into a pet sitter I would recommend getting referrals from friends, relatives, neighbors or co-workers. Good luck!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use a sitter when I travel. She comes twice a day. I also get pictures and a “report card”. Find someone you are comfortable with. Your vet may have a tech that provides this kind of service.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. Well, I decided to board them in the vet clinic. Male cat has history of bladder blockage and uti. Main concern would be him being stressed out so I decided to board at vet clinic but nobody is there at night to watch at the clinic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advices. It’s so reassuring to read all your responses. I hope I am making right decision by leaving at vet office. (Office will be closed on Sunday and nights)