Traveling

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband recently got a job promotion to where we travel for his work. we would move every three months to a year, all over the united states. I have two cats, Nala is one year old and Mufasa is five months. We wont start away probably not for a few months. But is this a good environment for the cats? How can we make this better on them? Im thinking about purchasing a big, HUGE, cat carrier where we can fit food and water and for them both to be together.

There is an option for flying but that seems stressful and worse for the cats, I dont mind driving if it means that my cats will be safe and happy.

Also side note, for each new house we move into im bringing the same air fresheners, toys and bedding. So they can feel the sense of being at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on a cat carrier? I want a big one that can fit both of my cats comfortably, they rely on each other and i really dont want to separate them.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on a cat carrier? I want a big one that can fit both of my cats comfortably, they rely on each other and i really dont want to separate them.
What about a small dog crate? They make all kinds of accessories for dog crates. They make fitted covers if you'd rather it stay covered, you can attach food and water bowls to the sides, they make crate fans for if it's hot. That way you could get a size that would fit them comfortably. And you could fit a bed in there or a crate mat.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
If you got one big enough you could attach a hammock, and put a litter box in the corner, too. I don't know how much space you have in your vehicle, but I would just get a crate.

Attachments

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing...I have a lot of experience with frequent moving with animals and I've lucked out in having pets that are VERY good travelers and have always adjusted to new environments- probably because they've never known anything different. When you get to a new place, one of the first things you should unpack is the pet's stuff- their beds, blankets, litter boxes, water, and everything with their scent on it. Use a feliway diffuser plug in. It might help your cats if they are stressed. Also be careful to watch the doorways as you are going in and out unpacking. They are in a new environment and don't know their way around, and you don't want them skedaddling out the door.

If they meow in the car (which my cat never did, but my mom's does) I just sing along to the radio and try to show them that I am being calm. The meowing of Kitty seemed to annoy Luna and she started meowing at Kitty like she was telling her to be quiet. :lol:

Your cats are pretty young still, so I think they should be able to cope pretty well. Luna is 1 and she is great with traveling. Kitty never had to go anywhere and she is 6 and doesn't really like the car. I think it'll be fine.

I drove 14 hours with my dog from PA to WI and he didn't start fussing until the last hour. Pets can be good travelers and can adjust well if they are young.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing...I have a lot of experience with frequent moving with animals and I've lucked out in having pets that are VERY good travelers and have always adjusted to new environments- probably because they've never known anything different. When you get to a new place, one of the first things you should unpack is the pet's stuff- their beds, blankets, litter boxes, water, and everything with their scent on it. Use a feliway diffuser plug in. It might help your cats if they are stressed. Also be careful to watch the doorways as you are going in and out unpacking. They are in a new environment and don't know their way around, and you don't want them skedaddling out the door.

If they meow in the car (which my cat never did, but my mom's does) I just sing along to the radio and try to show them that I am being calm. The meowing of Kitty seemed to annoy Luna and she started meowing at Kitty like she was telling her to be quiet. :lol:

Your cats are pretty young still, so I think they should be able to cope pretty well. Luna is 1 and she is great with traveling. Kitty never had to go anywhere and she is 6 and doesn't really like the car. I think it'll be fine.

I drove 14 hours with my dog from PA to WI and he didn't start fussing until the last hour. Pets can be good travelers and can adjust well if they are young.
I will definitely get the dog crate, but I totally didn't know they came with attachments. Which is totally helpful to know thank you!

Would it help them if I plug in the same air freshener right away too?

If I was Luna I would probably do the same

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely get the dog crate, but I totally didn't know they came with attachments. Which is totally helpful to know thank you!

Would it help them if I plug in the same air freshener right away too?

If I was Luna I would probably do the same
Yes that might be helpful. It definitely couldn't hurt anything. It might make your new house start to smell more like your old house and that could be help with the adjustment.

And yea, if you search online and in pet stores there are all kinds of different bowls and water dispensers for crates. They make some clip on bowls that are collapsible so they are easier to pack and store. And they make those upside down water bottle things that you see in hamster cages but you attach it to a bowl of water so then the water doesnt run out in the bowl.

And those triangle litter boxes are made for crates. And clip on hammocks...yea there's a ton of options.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband recently got a job promotion to where we travel for his work. we would move every three months to a year, all over the united states. I have two cats, Nala is one year old and Mufasa is five months. We wont start away probably not for a few months. But is this a good environment for the cats? How can we make this better on them? Im thinking about purchasing a big, HUGE, cat carrier where we can fit food and water and for them both to be together.

There is an option for flying but that seems stressful and worse for the cats, I dont mind driving if it means that my cats will be safe and happy.

Also side note, for each new house we move into im bringing the same air fresheners, toys and bedding. So they can feel the sense of being at home.
Many of the carriers come with attachable food and water cups. The large carrier we have is called a Furrari, but it's several years old so I don't know if they are still made or where to buy one. If you fly, be aware that responsible airlines do not fly cats in hot weather; and consult the airline's guidelines. They must be followed to the letter or you will be refused. And also be aware that if you are not with them, they will go into the cargo bay, not into the climate-controlled passenger section. I would advise against flying if at all possible. Though my airlift was 100% successful, it was only done as a survival measure, and only one time.
When I had to airlift cats, I lined each carrier with new, clean foam rubber, which my ex bought at Walmart, and I sprayed the foam liberally with Feliway spray. Feliway mimics feline facial pheromones, which is calming for cats. Not a peep out of any of the 12 on the 100-mile journey partly over rough unpaved roads, and I was told they arrived at their destination cool, calm and collected. Feliway can also be sprayed liberally throughout each new location to help your feline family members acclimate. I rely on it in any stressful situation! There are also calming chewy treats for cats available at most "pet" stores. NaturVet QUIET MOMENTS Calming Aid Plus Melatonin 2-in-1 Support is the one we have. Administer as directed. From Petco.
If possible, go ahead of time and set up a room for the cats with their litterboxes, food and water dishes, beds, toys, scratchers, furniture etc. Then deliver them right into the room and open their carriers and shut the door. Visit them frequently, and reassure them. Gradually, they should be able to come out and explore their new domain.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Look at videos on YouTube by Cole and Marmalade. The boys have been moved from Tampa to Oceanside, CA (San Diego County) to a Chicago suburb in a little over two years. They traveled by car.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When we moved to our new home, we used a dog crate and covered the bottom of it with shredded newspaper. We did NOT put in any food or water because we figured for 8 hours per day of traveling they wouldn't need it, and we didn't want to risk having wet cats :lol:. They did very well.

Here is a traveling article you might find very helpful: 36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I would actually recommend against a shared carrier. The last thing you need on the road is a squabble between two stressed cats turning into a full blown fight without a means for either cat to escape the other and an inability to reach them to intervene.

I found with my cats that getting comfortable in the new place gets easier with each move. I lock them in the bathroom with the litter box in the bathtub so there's no chance to slip out or get stepped on while furniture and boxes are being brought in. Once the furniture is mostly set I turn them loose. I put the litter box and water dish in their permanent places and carry the cats to both so they don't need to search for them, beyond that they can get comfortable at their own pace.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would actually recommend against a shared carrier. The last thing you need on the road is a squabble between two stressed cats turning into a full blown fight without a means for either cat to escape the other and an inability to reach them to intervene.

I found with my cats that getting comfortable in the new place gets easier with each move. I lock them in the bathroom with the litter box in the bathtub so there's no chance to slip out or get stepped on while furniture and boxes are being brought in. Once the furniture is mostly set I turn them loose. I put the litter box and water dish in their permanent places and carry the cats to both so they don't need to search for them, beyond that they can get comfortable at their own pace.
I would advise the same.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jazhole:

I can't speak about carriers, but I can share an adventure I took, with a cat, almost 40 years ago, which might be helpful.

I was 19 and went to Texas, in a 1965 Pontiac Le Mans, with a dented door and a litterbox for the kitty on the floor in front of the passenger seat. (Great excuse to decline to pick up hitchhikers!) I slept in the back seat, and he slept with me when it was cold, on the front seat when it wasn't.

My kitty was a dead ringer for the one pictured below. He was about a year old, growing out of kitten hood. I called him the Panintheass. (Get it?) I'd found him on a construction site, and took him home, loved him to death. And, he loved me back.

The cat adapted very well to living in that car with me, for a period of months, in early 1979. We slept on South Padre Island near Corpus Christi; just drove out onto the sand. The cat saw the car as his home; I fed him cat food, gave him water, changed the litter, no problem. I had trained him to the leash and we'd sometimes go walking. He was a hit with the staff in the redneck bar we went to! He loved the fish they gave him.

He never tried to wander off, which I was afraid him might do. One day, someone broke into the car, ran off with the sleeping bag in the back seat, and left him. (Bag was easy to replace.)

When I finally got a place to rent, the cat would greet my car when I pulled up in front of the place; he'd hop on the window after I rolled it down for a nice balance-body-scratch-belly-rub. He loved to eat the giant cockroaches that lived there with us. (Scuffle, pounce, crunch-crunch-crunch!)

Eventually, I went back to Ohio, and he went back with me.

It was nice to be back in Ohio, and the cat seemed none the worse for wear himself.

I didn't have a carrier (I don't think they had them back then; it never occurred to me to get one if they did.) That said, a carrier is a good idea, one for each cat, as arouetta recommends.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many of the carriers come with attachable food and water cups. The large carrier we have is called a Furrari, but it's several years old so I don't know if they are still made or where to buy one. If you fly, be aware that responsible airlines do not fly cats in hot weather; and consult the airline's guidelines. They must be followed to the letter or you will be refused. And also be aware that if you are not with them, they will go into the cargo bay, not into the climate-controlled passenger section. I would advise against flying if at all possible. Though my airlift was 100% successful, it was only done as a survival measure, and only one time.
When I had to airlift cats, I lined each carrier with new, clean foam rubber, which my ex bought at Walmart, and I sprayed the foam liberally with Feliway spray. Feliway mimics feline facial pheromones, which is calming for cats. Not a peep out of any of the 12 on the 100-mile journey partly over rough unpaved roads, and I was told they arrived at their destination cool, calm and collected. Feliway can also be sprayed liberally throughout each new location to help your feline family members acclimate. I rely on it in any stressful situation! There are also calming chewy treats for cats available at most "pet" stores. NaturVet QUIET MOMENTS Calming Aid Plus Melatonin 2-in-1 Support is the one we have. Administer as directed. From Petco.
If possible, go ahead of time and set up a room for the cats with their litterboxes, food and water dishes, beds, toys, scratchers, furniture etc. Then deliver them right into the room and open their carriers and shut the door. Visit them frequently, and reassure them. Gradually, they should be able to come out and explore their new domain.

I just now saw all of these wonderful responses! Thank you so much for the tips! I will definitely go out and buy some Feliway spray, what a genius invention! Im not planning on flying because I feel like that would be more stressful on them and my cats the more i look into it. Driving seems better since i can get a bigger carrier or crate for them for them roam around. Thank you so much for you help :)

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look at videos on YouTube by Cole and Marmalade. The boys have been moved from Tampa to Oceanside, CA (San Diego County) to a Chicago suburb in a little over two years. They traveled by car.

On it. Thank you :)

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we moved to our new home, we used a dog crate and covered the bottom of it with shredded newspaper. We did NOT put in any food or water because we figured for 8 hours per day of traveling they wouldn't need it, and we didn't want to risk having wet cats :lol:. They did very well.

Here is a traveling article you might find very helpful: 36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat

How long before did you feed them before moving? they both free feed so they dont eat much at once

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That actually never crossed my mind, if I get two carriers or crates and put them next to each other work? I'll make sure they cant reach each other.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jazhole:

I can't speak about carriers, but I can share an adventure I took, with a cat, almost 40 years ago, which might be helpful.

I was 19 and went to Texas, in a 1965 Pontiac Le Mans, with a dented door and a litterbox for the kitty on the floor in front of the passenger seat. (Great excuse to decline to pick up hitchhikers!) I slept in the back seat, and he slept with me when it was cold, on the front seat when it wasn't.

My kitty was a dead ringer for the one pictured below. He was about a year old, growing out of kitten hood. I called him the Panintheass. (Get it?) I'd found him on a construction site, and took him home, loved him to death. And, he loved me back.

The cat adapted very well to living in that car with me, for a period of months, in early 1979. We slept on South Padre Island near Corpus Christi; just drove out onto the sand. The cat saw the car as his home; I fed him cat food, gave him water, changed the litter, no problem. I had trained him to the leash and we'd sometimes go walking. He was a hit with the staff in the redneck bar we went to! He loved the fish they gave him.

He never tried to wander off, which I was afraid him might do. One day, someone broke into the car, ran off with the sleeping bag in the back seat, and left him. (Bag was easy to replace.)

When I finally got a place to rent, the cat would greet my car when I pulled up in front of the place; he'd hop on the window after I rolled it down for a nice balance-body-scratch-belly-rub. He loved to eat the giant cockroaches that lived there with us. (Scuffle, pounce, crunch-crunch-crunch!)

Eventually, I went back to Ohio, and he went back with me.

It was nice to be back in Ohio, and the cat seemed none the worse for wear himself.

I didn't have a carrier (I don't think they had them back then; it never occurred to me to get one if they did.) That said, a carrier is a good idea, one for each cat, as arouetta recommends.

1. I laughed so hard when i read your cat's name.

2. SO FREAKIN CUTE.

3. That was actually a really good and helpful story. It seemed like an awesome bond you guys had. #petgoals

thank you for your insight :)