Traveling with 9 month old kitty in cargo of smaller jet. Safe or nah?

kimbotini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to move to another city in Mexico for work, and my little 9 month old kitty is coming with me. Since Mexican airlines (flying w an American carrier is out of the question bc of my final destination city) don't allow cats in the cabin (only one airline does, and he has to be declared by a doctor as emotional support), I have to put him in cargo for a connecting flight. Trust me, I'm not very happy about it, but I don't have a choice. Does anyone have experience flying with younger cats in cargo holds of planes? Any advice you can give me? I spoke to the airline and they said it's a suitable environment for pets, but mainly dogs fly down there, from what I'm told. Will he be ok? 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never shipped a cat cargo, but I know it's done frequently. I'll try to get one of our members who has personal experience with this to give you some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimbotini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Thanks a bunch. It's really stressing me out, ha. 

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SOME planes have a section of cargo which has air pressure.  This is the section where they place live animals.  If the airline / plane has this section, then you just repeat and repeat and repeat that you want them to be sure your carrier is in that section.

If they do not pressurize a section, no, do not fly the cat.  See if you can find someone who is driving and will take the kitty for a fee.

I've never flown a cat, have done with 2 dogs (2 separate times, 4 years apart).  It was within USA, so not a carrier you could use, I guess.     They require a vet certificate signed within . .  I think it is 48 hours prior to flight, stating that the pet is healthy and able to fly.  Also, as far as I know, pets are NOT permitted to be drugged for the flight (valium or something calming like that).   We had to have 2 small bowls in the carrier, the dog had to have a harness ON and a baggie taped to the carrier with the leash.  Another baggie taped to the arrier with dry food (kibble).  This for a 6 hour flight.  Good thing too, the first time, the dog missed her connections and stayed in O'Hare airport in Chicago for 24 hours!  The airport staff were great, they'd email me photos of her out walking, eating etc.  Still, it was a very nerve wracking 24 hours!

desigirlmonica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So many scammer take dogs that arent even real service dogs through the airport all the time. In fact most sites that sell bogus vest say you'll benefit if you travel a lot. And since its illegal to ask for proof they get away with it. If I were you id just get a note from the dr. Or set up a nice little room for her in the shipping container. And give her some cat calming treats before she travels so shell be nice n calm or get a kind of sound proofing mayetial and line the travel box with it. With a nice cozy bed. Sorry of my suggestion isnt very helpful. I bet it sound like it came from a 90 year old lady. I hope you get it figured out because I used to love staying at hotels with my cats and they loved it too. They used to love to relax as much as I did. And when there was food n litter they were at home

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I travel with cats in cargo all the time, with little to no problems.  Depending on duration of flight and transit times I would recommend the following actions, where possible :

1.  See if you can check the cat in carrier in as EXCESS luggage instead of as Live Animal in Cargo.  This provides the assurance that the cat will get checked through to your final destination.

2. Make sure there's water (either in bottle form or in a bowl).  Again, depending on length of flight, this may not be necessary.  Anything above 6 hours then I would recommend it.  I also recommend you line the carrier (crate) with pet liners and if the airlines allows it, a small cardboard litter box with paper based litter.  You can also put in a blanket (with your smell or the cat's usual blankie) if it really is very cold.

3.  If there IS a way to carry the cat in cabin, please DO TRY and do it that way....

4.  Age of cat is not an issue unless the cat is under 4mo or over 10yo.  Most cats I know bounce back rather easily from a trip in the cargo hold.

5.  MAKE SURE the plane(s) you are on DOES have the facility to fly a live animal in their cargo holds!  (A lot of planes DON'T!)  I am unfamiliar with the Airlines you are using so check and then DOUBLE check.

6.  From my limited experience of flying with cats in the US, please be advised that there usually IS a requirement for most airlines from a vet to state that the cat CAN travel for temperatures under 30F (I think).  Check that coz the last time I did this was November 2012! LOL!

Hope this helps!