Traveling With 3 Month Old Kitten

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be moving soon so I have to take my little Milo with me. He is getting used to his hard sided carrier but I wonder if Jetblue will accept a carrier with an inch or two above the dimensions stated on their site.

Has anyone here ever flown with their cats on Jetblue? What are the carriers you have used?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :purr:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It needs to fit under your seat, so if it is soft and can squish down a couple of inches, it will probably work. But if it is a hard carrier then you don’t want to take the chance it won’t fit. If your guy is used to one carrier, he would probably be fine with another.

You should call Jet Blue anyway since I think they need to know about the pet, you have to pay in advance and they limit the total number of pets on board and you don’t want to miss out .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The hard sided carrier he has now is 19L x 12.5W x 10H

Jetblue states on their website that the pet carrier cannot exceed 17L x 12.5W x 8.5H

This is actually the smallest hard sided carrier I could find. I guess I would have to end up getting a soft carrier but I fear he would tear it to pieces if he gets too nervous at the airport.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If they state max is 17 inches, that may be the height of the under seat space, so you don’t have an option except to get a new carrier. Soft sided carriers are still pretty strong and I don’t think your cat could tear it or break out of one.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have traveled with several cats on JetBlue. The soft carrier squishes down to fit under the seat. I’ve never had anyone measure it. Make sure you reserve your cat a spot both ways.

You are not supposed to take the cat out of the carrier but I have and everyone was happy to admire her. I’ve also entertained children at the airport with a very mellow orange guy.

I’m paranoid, so I put a collar with my contact information on the cat and tie the cat to the carrier with a leash that is attached to a harness that the cat is wearing (yes, the cat wears both a collar and a harness). My itinerary and contact info goes in a pocket of the bag. And the cat is chipped, of course.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking Dusty!

The flight is not until the 22nd of this month. I have been getting him used to his new soft carrier until then.

Have you ever had to travel with any of your cats? :runningcat:
We only have Gypsy and have only taken her in the car to her vet. The first time we took her I had bought a cardboard carrier, she proceeded to chew thru it! I quickly wrapped a small blanket around and put it in the laundry basket, held it on my lap to and from the vets. Bought a small hardcase for the next trip, she cried and couldn't stand up. Then bought a nice sturdy soft one. The top closes with parallel zippers and a velcroed strap at the end. I used fishing line to sew a velcro strip on the end since she was pushing her way out past the strap. She still crys but she has plenty of room to stand.

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have traveled with several cats on JetBlue. The soft carrier squishes down to fit under the seat. I’ve never had anyone measure it. Make sure you reserve your cat a spot both ways.

You are not supposed to take the cat out of the carrier but I have and everyone was happy to admire her. I’ve also entertained children at the airport with a very mellow orange guy.

I’m paranoid, so I put a collar with my contact information on the cat and tie the cat to the carrier with a leash that is attached to a harness that the cat is wearing (yes, the cat wears both a collar and a harness). My itinerary and contact info goes in a pocket of the bag. And the cat is chipped, of course.
What if the cat doesn’t stop meowing? Do they actually kick you out of the flight for that?

Sorry for all the questions lol. This is my first time traveling with a pet and I must admit it can be quite nervewracking to think of every little detail that goes into planning the trip.

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We only have Gypsy and have only taken her in the car to her vet. The first time we took her I had bought a cardboard carrier, she proceeded to chew thru it! I quickly wrapped a small blanket around and put it in the laundry basket, held it on my lap to and from the vets. Bought a small hardcase for the next trip, she cried and couldn't stand up. Then bought a nice sturdy soft one. The top closes with parallel zippers and a velcroed strap at the end. I used fishing line to sew a velcro strip on the end since she was pushing her way out past the strap. She still crys but she has plenty of room to stand.
Awww! She must really hate going to the vet! My little Milo gets frantic too. Every time we get him in the car he knows we are going to the vet’s so he starts thrashing around and destroying things inside his carrier. :climbcat: