Traveling cat

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be taking my cat to Florida (I am moving), and I know that Jet Blue allows pets in the cabin, which is great. However, I am concerned about how annoying it may be for others if she cries a lot......she hates being transported in the car and cries all the time! Jet Blue says they don't care if the cat cries, but can anyone suggest ways to keep her comfortable - without allowing her out of the carry-bag!! many thanks.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but airplanes are kinda noisy so it might not be that noticeable. Also wanted to mention you might want to put a thick blanket or something in the carrier... I flew with my cat Church recently (on Southwest, they also allow pets in the cabin) and it was very cold at floor level which is where the carriers are. It was so cold that my brother spilled some ice on his carry-on in the middle of the flight, and the ice was still there completely frozen when we landed and pulled the bag out!
When we got on the plane the flight attendant told me there were four other pets on the plane, (5 is the maximum they allow on a flight) but I neither heard nor saw any during the flight.

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All cats react differently, but you may be surprised how well your cat behaves. My cat, like yours, hates car rides and being inside his carrier. When I first flew with him, I, too, was afraid his constant mewing would disturb the other passengers.

As soon as we boarded and the flight took off, he was as silent as night and still as a rock. He was sleeping for the better part of the flight. The people sitting in my row probably didn't even know there was a cat in their row.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that is good to know. I plan to take a shawl with me so I can wrap her up when I take her through security - she doesn't like being carried and trying to put a collar around her neck would be a nightmare! Thank goodness it isn't a long flight!

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please think about a harness and leash on your kitty while going through security. Even holding her in a shawl will not prevent her getting scared and jumping out of your arms if something happens. If she has a harness and leash, she can jump but not run. I have heard of many many horror stories about kitties getting loose in airports.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I had a harness and leash on Church just for that reason... Of course, he's used to wearing them because he's worn harnesses ever since he was a little baby and only fit into a rabbit harness.
When we went through security, the security guy said he thought it was a great idea, but that he had never seen another cat go through security wearing a harness! I was surprised to hear that.

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to put her collar on this morning to at least get her used to something being around her neck, and she totally freaked out..........now she won't come near me! Patience is needed I guess!

snickersmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never been able to get a harness or collar on Snickers, so I was a little worried the first time I traveled with her through security at the airport. She definitely was scared when I took her out of the bag to go through the metal detector, so I had to hold on tight. But, when the carrier bag came through the xray machine, she couldn't wait to get back in it! After all the trouble I always have getting her in it, she apparently came to think of it as her safe spot and jumped right in!

Also, though she howls during car rides, she was completely quiet on the plane and just slept.

Just make sure that your carrier is the proper size to go under airplane seats. I have seen people who had the wrong shape carrier, and they were pushing and kicking the carrier to try to get it to fit. I felt so bad for the pets!

Good luck!

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you SnickersMom, you have given me a bit of reassurance! I think that trying to put a collar or harness on Sasha will just make her more upset. I plan to get the soft travel bag from the Jet Blue online store, so that I know for sure it will meet their rules. She (and me) will be fine once we have settled in!!